Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had a Ninja 500 for about 7k miles. My friend just took the MSF course and I'm probably going to sell him my 500 then move up next spring. I'm looking at YZF600R's. I like them because they appear to be sport touring bikes with a b***** focus on sport but still not supersport uncomfortable. I don't plan on track days. I like to just ride til I get lost and have fun along the way whether it be interstate or backroads and I'd use it to commute from time to time. It looks like I can get a decent example for $2500-3500 which is in my price range, they're fuel injected, more than fast enough for the street, and they look good imo. From the specs, it'd definitely be a step up from my 500. Is there a reason to not get one or consider something else? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've had a Ninja 500 for about 7k miles. My friend just took the MSF course and I'm probably going to sell him my 500 then move up next spring. I'm looking at YZF600R's. I like them because they appear to be sport touring bikes with a b***** focus on sport but still not supersport uncomfortable. I don't plan on track days. I like to just ride til I get lost and have fun along the way whether it be interstate or backroads and I'd use it to commute from time to time. It looks like I can get a decent example for $2500-3500 which is in my price range, they're fuel injected, more than fast enough for the street, and they look good imo. From the specs, it'd definitely be a step up from my 500. Is there a reason to not get one or consider something else? What do you guys think?
The YZF600R is a great bike, but you do have some misconceptions. It would only be considered a touring bike when compared to a modern sport bike. This bike was considered a super sport when it came out. It has a ton of low end power. It is faster from 0-60 than most modern sportbikes because of the way it is geared. It is NOT fuel injected. It has been carbed from when it first came out to when it stopped production in 2007.

These bikes are very comfortable. The seating position is more upright and the seat has quite a bit of padding. It is significantly heaver than most sport bikes which is both a pro and a con. The pro means it's weight stabilizes it better and its easier across bumpy surfaces to control. The con is if you start to drop it... GOOD LUCK.

A 600R is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY faster than your 500. No comparison.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The YZF600R is a great bike, but you do have some misconceptions. It would only be considered a touring bike when compared to a modern sport bike. This bike was considered a super sport when it came out. It has a ton of low end power. It is faster from 0-60 than most modern sportbikes because of the way it is geared. It is NOT fuel injected. It has been carbed from when it first came out to when it stopped production in 2007.

These bikes are very comfortable. The seating position is more upright and the seat has quite a bit of padding. It is significantly heaver than most sport bikes which is both a pro and a con. The pro means it's weight stabilizes it better and its easier across bumpy surfaces to control. The con is if you start to drop it... GOOD LUCK.

A 600R is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY faster than your 500. No comparison.
I don't know what I saw but I thought they were fuel injected. I just double checked and they are in fact carb'd. Carbs aren't a big deal though. I have yet to drop my 500 but when I was learning, there were a few times I almost did. I haven't had an oh shit moment like that in a while knock on wood so hopefully the added weight wouldn't be a problem. The roads suck around me so better over bumps wouldn't be a bad thing either. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I own one and love it. Speculative hit most of the major points but I'll disagree with the "low end torque and faster than modern sportbikes" comment.

The inline-4 is not a torquey engine with the stock sprockets, but it is a dream on the highway and is a beast at higher RPMs. For those that don't do a lot of highway riding or commutting, and want more torque and fun around town, a simple -1 front +2 rear sprocket setup is the way to go.

I bought my '03 with 11,000 miles a couple months ago and she runs like a dream. Might be one of the best values available if you find one that was cared for. I put some marine Stabil in every tank and the carbs have been no problem. Check out America's Premiere YZF600R Web Source for great bike specific info

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see them regularly on craigslist for around 3 grand. Seems like a great choice

·
Registered
731 Posts
I paid $3800 for an '03 with 11,000 miles and I overpaid. It was only worth about $2800 according to the bank, but it had some nice extras, all service records, and great condition, that made me happy to overpay. If you're patient, you'll find what you're looking for. Here's a few pics...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a beautiful bike. What I can afford won't be quite like that but I still can't wait for summer to come so I can try to sell and move up.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Another consideration for you would be the ZZR 600 (05 - 08) Couple that with a set of helibar risers and you have a very capable sport tourer with a butt load of aftermarket support.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another consideration for you would be the ZZR 600 (05 - 08) Couple that with a set of helibar risers and you have a very capable sport tourer with a butt load of aftermarket support.
I literally just came here to ask about those. They have a little more power and are a little lighter. Is one going to be better than the other? Like cheaper insurance or more reliability with one? Or just pick whichever looks in the best shape/has best service records in my price range? Just glancing at my CL, YZF's are a little cheaper and there's a bit more of them. I'm not concerned with more hp. 87 at the wheels with the YZF should be plenty for the street. I guess I should post in Kawi for ZZR q's but there isn't much traffic here so hopefully people won't mind.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Maybe. The ZZR is classed as a sport tourer. What it was bred from was the 98-02 ZX6r race bike. It's a very capable mount. If you want the full monty on ZZRs chat with ZZRocket or Rayzzr. Not sure if they're even still around here.

·
Vampire
594 Posts
I see YZF600R on my local Craigslist quite frequent, usually below $3k, some with body panel damage below $2k..
In my experience the powerband for the YZF600 is high up in the rpm range and somewhat narrow.. lower rpm toque is rather lacking compare to the other 600's like CBR F4i or ZZR.. but it is a simple, rock solid ride.

Similar era Honoda CBR F4i are FI, YZF600R are carb'ed.
I bought my 2006 CBR600F4i w/8k mi. for less than $3500..
just a thought..

SV650 are also popular and frequently sold under $3k, i know becausse I've bought and sold about 1/2 dozen of them, make me profit each time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts