Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So here is the scenario. 22 year old male, 6' 1" and 215lbs. I am looking for my first motorcycle ever, and want to get a street bike. After pouring through online forums for a month now, and talking to everyone I know who rides, Ive kind of narrowed my thoughts down to this:
-I want to spend in the range of 2500-3500 cash for the bike (was given riding gear and such from a friend)
-I want a bike that will ride well in town, as well as have the power to not drag ass on the freeway. Most of my driving will be in town, with some trips on weekends on the freeway (speed limit here is 65)
-I've read a lot about what motorcycles are good starters bike and Ive decided to go with a bike ranging from 250-650. Although I have read many people saying a 250cc engine can do plenty fast, Im afraid it might be too small in size/power for me, especially if on occasion I want to carry a passenger.
-I recently found a 2005 hyosung 650r with only 450miles on craiglist, and it looks pretty nice. However, Ive read some cons about hyosung: poor resale, engine problems.

Anyways, I'm looking to you all for advice, should I purchase a 650r? If you think they rock, say so! If you think theyre enferior crap, say so! Thanks all!

·
5,366 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like you was in the same position with $$ and i ended up picking up a 09 hyosung 250r. I LOVE this bike. I put an aftermarket exhaust and jet kit in it and it moves for a little bike.

The only downside to the 250 is....you will get bored with it quickly, even if it is quick for a 250. The bike is tons of fun on curvy roads but leaves something to be desired in acceleration after you get used to it. However...this is not a problem exclusive to the Hyosung...

One thing i REALLY like about it is that this bike has nice low end power. If you are going to be in an urban enviroment....this bike is a dream. Plenty of power to be found between 3-7k rpm.

In terms of bang for buck....you cant beat the Hyosung brand. You can buy brand new a product that is...IMO... right there with the Ninja/CBR 250....for the price of a 3-5 year old used kawi etc.

Sure people will knock it....alot of people are scared of it because what they supposedly heard from a buddy who is a mechanic etc etc. My advice to you is to do your OWN research and talk to people who actually own the bike....

I found once you get past the fanboys....and actually talk to real owners, you will find they/you will have no more problems than those people who dole out the extra $$$ for b***** brand name bikes.

Another bonus....PARTS ARE CHEAP....dirt cheap.

All that being said...once you get away from the 250......hyosung falls behind majorly in the 600-650cc class, not in quality,reliability but performance.

You can pick up their 650 for 6K brand new. It however, only makes 74HP and doesnt seem to have the get-up that the big name brands have. It is still a quality bike....and for the price, again that bang for buck factor...you cant beat it.

:horse

·
5,366 Posts
I wonder how many things an experienced rider would find with the fit and finish on your bike that he wouldn't be happy with. Any of the bolt heads going rusty?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
The Hyo 650 only makes 74? The ninja 650 makes 71 I think. So they're not way behind in performance for 650's. Actually I don't think even the much acclaimed SV650 makes 74HP. Now if you're comparing it to one of the big-4 600's that's different. But they are a different breed than the 650s.

OP: I wouldn't worry too much either about having the power to carry passengers at highway speeds. While you are still learning, the last thing you should be doing is toting a passenger around.

·
Just call me J.R.
3,481 Posts
I have had 1000's for years, and as stupid as this sound, I used to leave the r1 in the garage so I could take the hyo out for fun. They are a lot of fun to ride if your not doing highway commuting. My commute was less than 7 miles away and never got above 45 so the whole ride was screaming fun, compaired to the r1 that I could barly hit the throttle and be breaking speed limits.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wonder how many things an experienced rider would find with the fit and finish on your bike that he wouldn't be happy with. Any of the bolt heads going rusty?
My bike is stored outside and is ridden daily and has seen several rain storms(I am in Florida afterall). I believe I have only 2-3 bolts heads that are showing signs of surface rust, not major rust just some surface rust that I bet some CLR would get rid of quite easily.

·
5,366 Posts
I have had 1000's for years, and as stupid as this sound, I used to leave the r1 in the garage so I could take the hyo out for fun. They are a lot of fun to ride if your not doing highway commuting. My commute was less than 7 miles away and never got above 45 so the whole ride was screaming fun, compaired to the r1 that I could barly hit the throttle and be breaking speed limits.
I'm so used to being on a 600 that on a thousand i find myself shifting out of second gear in the city out of habit, then going shit thats like 3k rpms, downshift back into second and ride up to 100 :| You wouldn't need more then second gear to get to work.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Ha haven't been around here in ages!
My kid has a '05 GT650R.
Its closing in on 10K miles (pretty much summer use only).
It is a decent bike. It has held together for him.
It is a pretty tame bike for newer riders.
Fit & finish I would say is just 'ok'. Less polished than jap bikes.
It doesn't get rusty (my kids has been garage kept), but bolt head & allen head sizes are just a tad off. My socket/allen sets fit loose on several fittings.
My boy put on new chain & sprockets with a -1 on the countershaft sprocket.
That was a great help in acceleration along with at the same time he removed the AI, added a Two Brothers Slip-on and had it jetted.
No more popping on decel and it roars through the gears.
Oh, SS front brakes lines & aggressive pads also help it stop much sooner.
He takes his girlfriend on rides and it does fine with it.
He can also smoke me through the curves (ouch). Slow down son lol.

My opinion of the Hyosung is that it is a disposable bike. You will not get much on resale.
Service can be an issue as those who sold it a couple years back, won't touch them now. Apparently Hyosung burned their dealerships.
But if you can get a service shop (not that it needs much service) to work on it from time to time, it seems it will last a while.
My kids bike has needed a new gauge set (warranteed) and it went through a stator also.
Hyosung.biz has always been a good parts and accessories source.

With that said its not so bad of an intro to motorcycling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts