500.0 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA3 6GB/s​
All-in-One Memory Card Reader Internal​
LG Blu-ray 14X Recorder w/ 3D Feature,16x DVD Recorder SATA combo drive​
LG 24x SATA DVD Recorder +R/RW -R/RW​
Dual Case Fans 120 mm Extra Quiet​

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Bought this a bit ago, did screw up the MB and got it for dual crossfire, but got a nvidia card. doh

CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage (Black Color)
INTEL I5-2500K 3.30 GHZ 6M LGA 1155
1TB SATA III 7200 RPM 3.5" HARD DRIVE
32GB PATRIOT TORQX 2 SATA II 3.0GB/SS SSD-270MB/S
KINGSTON HYPER-X 16 (4x4) GB DDR3/ 1600 MHZ
ASETEK 550LC 120MM WATERCOOLER
BLACK COOLERMASTER HAF 912 MID NO POWER
BLACK LG UH12LS28K 12X BLU-RAY PLAYER & DVDRW COMBO
ASUS P8Z68-V LX INTEL Z68 CROSSFIRE DDR3 SATA 3 USB LGA 1155
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX V2 POWER SUPPLY
EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB OVERCLOCK GDDR5 PCI-E
WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM LICENSE

·
Registered
673 Posts
My desktop currently;

Case: Corsair Graphite 600T
MOBO: Asus Crosshair 4 Formula
CPU: AMD Phenom 965 BE @ 3.41 Ghz
Cooler: Xigmatek Gaia single fan
PS: Seasonic X650
HD1: OCZ Vertex2 SSD 128GB
HD2: WD Black 1TB
Video: XFX 6870 2GB
Mem: 8 GB of G'Skill Sniper (4GBx2)

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
AMD Phenom II 955BE
Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
CoolerMaster HAF-932
16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333mhz
Sapphire Radeon 7850OC
Seagate 300GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB cache
Western Digital 120GB-SE ATA/133 7200RPM 8MB buffer
NEC 2510a Dual Layer DVD-RW
Logitech G9x mouse
Logitech Z-5300e THX Speakers
ZBoard MERC Keyboard w/ gamepad
Logitech G25 Force Feedback Wheel (w/ pedals)
HannsG HH281 28" 1900x1200 LCD
Windows 7 x64

New AMD FX-8350 (Vishera) came out today, nice improvement, but is power hungry when OC

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
i7 950 @ 4.0ghz
GTX 670

Water cooling for the above, pumped to a radiator in the basement to keep the heat out of my computer room

G27 racing wheel

Thrustamster HOTAS Warthog flight controls

Triple 23" Asus monitors

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Off the top of my head (I'm at work)

i5 2550 4.2Ghz
16GB PC1600 (clocked just forget what it is)
Gygabyte 7970, factor clocked I forget the factor lol
OCD PCIe2.0 SSD 128GB
a couple of 2 TB spinnies
some HP x16 dual layer DVD burner that has survived a couple towers now.
Azzia full atx case (its gorgeous, and it has TWO 320mm fans)
Coolermax fan controler of some sort, forget where the hell that came from.

.....debating going water cooled and seeing if I can push 4.5GHz 4.2 is as fast as I can go without cooking with a push/pull air rig.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i7 950 @ 4.0ghz
GTX 670

Water cooling for the above, pumped to a radiator in the basement to keep the heat out of my computer room

G27 racing wheel

Thrustamster HOTAS Warthog flight controls

Triple 23" Asus monitors
interesting. very unique. need pics! i was going to go water cooled for my most recent rig, but i opted to stick with good ol' fans. but your setup sounds intense.

great rigs everybody!

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I'll be the different one:
15" Retina Macbook Pro
2.66ghz i7 Ivy Bridge
16GB RAM, 512GB SSD
27" Thunderbolt display

I do have a PC for gaming also:
i5 2500k, MSI p67 motherboard
nVidia GTX570
8GB RAM
128GB SSD Samsung 830
3x 750GB WD Blue in RAID5
Dell 3007 30" 2560x1600

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
How much does all of that stuff cost and how do you make decisions about what you put in and how to use it?

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
How much does all of that stuff cost and how do you make decisions about what you put in and how to use it?
You mean as far as picking parts to build a PC?

I guess its like a bike in some respects. You know what components you need to make it work, and you're familiar with whats out there.

Building a PC, you know you'll need a motherboard, a CPU, a power supply, RAM, a hard drive. Most motherboards have onboard video, but if you're planning on gaming or doing anything 3D you'll also want a video card.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Depends on what your uses are, and how much you want to spend. You can spend as little as like $400 on a budget one, or into the multi-thousands.

My build cost me around $800 a year and a half ago. I don't remember the models of what I have though, so this is going to be very vague

i5 2500k Sandy Bridges
Gigabyte P67 I believe MoBo (not sure which one)
8GB Gskill RAM
60GB SSD boot drive
1TB HDD storage drive
Nvidia 512mb video card

·
Registered
15,272 Posts

I've build my own in the past, but I find it easier and about the same price to go to these guys

CyberPowerPC - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams

I don't do some of their upgrades, like memory, it's much cheaper to go base then pull the modules and just buy identical ones to up the memory

These guys do budget builds all the time and I find are a good guide - Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Bought this a bit ago, did screw up the MB and got it for dual crossfire, but got a nvidia card. doh=
So just buy a 2nd nvidia card and run them SLI... it's the same thing as crossfire (crossfire is just ATIs proprietary name for the technology, nvidia calls it SLI)

The current batch (and the previous one as well) of nvidia cards is generally regarded as being superior to the ATI offering in terms of performance and bang for buck anyhow.

OP - if you're just gaming, stick with an i5 and don't bother with an i7. i5s overclock a RETARDED amount while staying stable using only fans for cooling.

I've got:

i5 OC'd some stupid amount
Gigabyte mobo (can't remember the model)
ASUS gtx 660 ti
2x4gig corsair DDR3 1600 CL9 ram
Antec 300 midtower case
adata 128gig SSD
1TB caviar HDD
650W coolermaster (i think? can't recall) PSU
23" ASUS IPS monitor

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
So just buy a 2nd nvidia card and run them SLI... it's the same thing as crossfire (crossfire is just ATIs proprietary name for the technology, nvidia calls it SLI)

Are you sure the motherboard isn't specific for each of the tech?

Not really an issue, I only really play WoW and the single card is plenty.

My last machine had (has) dual SLI cards, but they do end up having a few issues at times.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Are you sure the motherboard isn't specific for each of the tech?

Not really an issue, I only really play WoW and the single card is plenty.

My last machine had (has) dual SLI cards, but they do end up having a few issues at times.
Hmm... you may actually be correct. It's not something I've looked into much tbh, as I'm a proponent of running one DAMN GOOD card rather than 2 cards in SLI/crossfire... largely because it is just more stable.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Hmm... you may actually be correct. It's not something I've looked into much tbh, as I'm a proponent of running one DAMN GOOD card rather than 2 cards in SLI/crossfire... largely because it is just more stable.
Totally agree

The dual cards are tight and pump a lot of heat as well

Much more stable with only 1 card now. The dual SLI's weren't bad, but I did have some issues

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
crossfire and SLI use different mobo's, yes.

As for what my computer is currently, I'd have to look. I'm still on a core2quad processor, though.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
It is actually very easy once you know what each part does. I am at work and i cannot show or remember my build, but i took a HP computer and overtime swapped out one part at a time until i came to my current computer. Which is ironically the same process i am doing with my current ZX6R.

I went from having this:

To having this:

Cost wise, my computer is made up of about $2000 worth of parts and was 5x more powerful than anything best buy had out in the market , but mind you this was 4 years ago. Today, my computer can still out perform almost anything at any major computer retail store, and the only thing lacking is a touch screeen monitor and a set of wrist bands for the Iron Man suit (Iron Man 3 comes out late spring/early summer of 2013 bitches!).

What i have done in the past, is go to places like Best Buy or Fry's (i love this friggin place) and just go play with all of the electronics. Once i see what i do like and what i don't like, i just go to places like Newegg or TigerDirect and order the parts (or more powerful versions) for a much cheaper price than at retail stores who try to rip off non-computer savy people with convienance fees.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
interesting. very unique. need pics! i was going to go water cooled for my most recent rig, but i opted to stick with good ol' fans. but your setup sounds intense.

great rigs everybody!
Hmmm. I don't generally take pics because I have a baaaaaad habit of roughing something together as a test...and when it ends up working well, I usually skip the part where I planned to go back and do it right / cleaner.

Take my chair for example. I put down a design in google sketchup based on TLAR principles (That Looks About Right). Cut some steel, did a half-ass job welding it together...altered a few decisions on the fly....and came up with the pic below. Sat in it once and immediately lost any desire to make a cleaner build. I have modified it slightly since this pic, but...

Here's a pic while doing some iRacing

Pardon the mess and the thunderbirds patch. Hehehehe. The patch is there because when the setup is rigged for flying, I'm usually flying with this group, and that pic was taken to show them what I was working on.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I've build my own in the past, but I find it easier and about the same price to go to these guys

CyberPowerPC - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams
It really depends on what your upgrade/refresh cycle is. If you keep your machine long enough, it may make sense to buy a prebuilt machine. But if you're upgrading fairly often, you probably don't need to replace all your components at once (case, storage, PSU, maybe GPU will stick around). For me, mobo/cpu/ram are almost always a replaced in unison though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts