Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dell Dimension 4600 Micro-Tower: Pentium? 4 Processor at 2.8GHz with 533MHz front side bus, Integrated Audio/ Video/NIC Microsoft? Windows XP BASE,MMT,2.8,P4PD,1.0,4600
Microsoft? Windows XP Home
256 MB DDR 333MHz NON-ECC SDRAM (2 DIMMs)
No Floppy Drive
40 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
48X CD-RW Drive

Not sure what all this means, but I bought it for $409 including shipping. Dell Refurbished. Was going to reformat my POS windows 98 again. Hard to believe this machine cost 1/6 of my P3. Got $250 discount and free shipping which ends tomorrow. I'm psyched for a new one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice, just keep in mind that if you bought the 4600 with the small case (rather than the larger standard looking Dell case), you will have problems putting in a big video card if you ever care about that. I have seen comments where they tend to run hotter because the case does not circulate as much air. Nothing serious, just thought I'd point it out. It should be a sweet upgrade and you will be floored on how fast it is compared to the older technology.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting point . I actually went for the 4600 instead of a 2400 for the reason that it will take a card for video. They sell they with up to a 256 card. Am i missing something?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
ZXLNT said:
First thing I would do would be put a gig of ram in it...
Definitely pump some RAM into that thing. Then I'd get a dual HD (if it were me, and I have one if you are interested). Then worry about a video card if you got the cash.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was actually thinking of putting the hard drive from my current machine in there too. How hard is that?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
f2benny said:
I was actually thinking of putting the hard drive from my current machine in there too. How hard is that?
Not familiar with the 4600 case but it should be easy as hell. You should already have the cables for hooking up another HD including the flat cable and a power cable. Then make sure the jumpers are set correctly (i.e....one master one slave) and turn it on. The computer should do the rest. I would advise anyone and everyone to have a second HD. I wouldn't run my system w/o one.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
I bought a Refirb'ed dell.. no complaints here... I got a 2400 though..

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Adding the 2nd drive is ok, once your new dell/star is fully operational! :nerd
by fully I mean updated antivirus if you put your screwed up drive on a unprotected os it won't be "sweeet" for too long :)

Once you copy over everything ...put the old H/D back in the olde Sytem...
And have a go at reformating & installing 98se again!! ?
That's what I'd do...

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
snigg said:
why run a 2nd hard drive? i got 80gig HD and dont see the need to add another one, no way ill fill 80gigs.

Well, one reason would be so you can run them in a RAID array. I have 2 WD 80gig drives set up that way. It runs faster. :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
snigg said:
why run a 2nd hard drive? i got 80gig HD and dont see the need to add another one, no way ill fill 80gigs.
A second hard drive would be used for permanent storage. If anything happens to your original hard drive (which I have seen first hand) all of your files are gone with the wind. Store your pictures and movies and whatever the hell you have on your computer that you don't want to lose on the second hard drive and then just run your programs on the main HD. It also keep your computers performance optimal by not juggling your data files with your program files. I have a 60 gig main with a 200 gig slave.

·
Registered
813 Posts
RAID is a disk configuration that is used for data redundancy... don't need it for home.. it's mainly for business. A 2-disk RAID system will speed up your system a little but I don’t think it’s worth it if you don’t know much about RAID in general.

4600 is a mid-tower.. plenty of room to upgrades.. the 4600c is the "mini" case... You got a good computer. You can fit any video card into the system.. Use the AGP slot.

I have a Dell 4600.. and I have two 80 gig hard drives on mine.. the reason is I do a lot of video editing.. but if you're not into stuff like that, 80 gig should be plenty.

If you want to up grade the memory, remember that the 4600 has duel channel memory bank... so you will need to buy 2 at a time. You will need to buy the P2700 or the P3200 memory chips because that’s what’s compatible with your system.

Any other ???, let me know.

Rob

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BrownRob said:
RAID is a disk configuration that is used for data redundancy... don't need it for home.. it's mainly for business. A 2-disk RAID system will speed up your system a little but I don’t think it’s worth it if you don’t know much about RAID in general.

4600 is a mid-tower.. plenty of room to upgrades.. the 4600c is the "mini" case... You got a good computer. You can fit any video card into the system.. Use the AGP slot.

I have a Dell 4600.. and I have two 80 gig hard drives on mine.. the reason is I do a lot of video editing.. but if you're not into stuff like that, 80 gig should be plenty.

If you want to up grade the memory, remember that the 4600 has duel channel memory bank... so you will need to buy 2 at a time. You will need to buy the P2700 or the P3200 memory chips because that’s what’s compatible with your system.

Any other ???, let me know.

Rob
Thanks-good info. Computer geeks rock. :headbang j/k

1 - 16 of 16 Posts