Sport Bikes banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
evil girl said:
well, it could be a lot of things. First off, your running 98. It's plagued with problems, and I'm sure you heard that before. First thing I would do is check which version you have. If your not sure how to do that, go to start/ settings/ control panel/ system. It will show you which version. You want to be running at least win 98SE. If you aren't my suggestion would be to start considering upgrading to Win XP home at least with svc pk1. I'm not a proponant of microsoft by any means, but I've been using the win os since 3.1 (crap) and win xp is by far more stable.

Anyway. the other thing to check is your temporary folder, it could be filled with misc junk.
That will be under c:\windows\temp select everything, and delete and then delete your recycle bin. If it is fairly empty, then I would check your temporary internet files too.
c:\windows\temporary internet files (well something like that)

I haven't used win 98 in a while so my directions may not be 100% correct, but should get you going in the right direction.

hope that helps.

Oh, it would help too to find out your total RAM, total hard drive space and available hard drive space too. You could be running really low on both.
First off, your running 98. It's plagued with problems. That statment made me chuckle. I have yet to see one Microsoft OS that isn't plagued with problems.

All these ideas posted here are great.

Windows98 handles virtual memory a little better than 3.0 and 3.1 Atleast you don't have to set the swapfile to 0 to reset it. Make sure you have atleast 100mb of free HD space.
Right click My computer, goto properties, and make sure your resources are above 75%.
Also goto start, run and type mscfg or msconfig, hit enter. Can't remember which command works for 98 and remove all the trash out of your startup, click ok, and reboot. Then go back and recheck your recheck your available system resources.
download spybot or ad-aware(after you install, download the update) from www.download.com and run a virus protection program as well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
f2benny said:
It's only 66% what's up with that? What do I do?
goto start, run and type mscfg or msconfig, hit enter. Can't remember which command works for 98. Click on the startup tab at the top right and remove the trash out of your startup, click ok, and reboot. Then go back and recheck your available system resources.
download spybot or ad-aware(after you install, download the update) from www.download.com and run a virus protection program as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.