Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My P3 Dell desktop runs windows 98 and is very messed up. Often it won't boot up and I have to use scanreg/restore. Sometimes that will fail for a couple attempts and I have to keep trying other attempts in the registry. Then once it runs for awhile and goes into standby is often will not come back up and I have to reboot again. I really don't want to reformat. Last time, about a year and a half ago when I did it was a muthaf'er to get the bugs out afterward. Any ideas how to sort this out short of a reformat or replacement? Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
well, it could be a lot of things. First off, your running 98. It's plagued with problems, and I'm sure you heard that before. First thing I would do is check which version you have. If your not sure how to do that, go to start/ settings/ control panel/ system. It will show you which version. You want to be running at least win 98SE. If you aren't my suggestion would be to start considering upgrading to Win XP home at least with svc pk1. I'm not a proponant of microsoft by any means, but I've been using the win os since 3.1 (crap) and win xp is by far more stable.

Anyway. the other thing to check is your temporary folder, it could be filled with misc junk.
That will be under c:\windows\temp select everything, and delete and then delete your recycle bin. If it is fairly empty, then I would check your temporary internet files too.
c:\windows\temporary internet files (well something like that)

I haven't used win 98 in a while so my directions may not be 100% correct, but should get you going in the right direction.

hope that helps.

Oh, it would help too to find out your total RAM, total hard drive space and available hard drive space too. You could be running really low on both.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Windows rot at it's best. The entire series of Win9x (95, 98, ME) all require regular reformats and reinstalls. Your best bet is to acquire a copy of Windows XP Pro (or you could try linux if you feel really really really brave) and use it instead. Win2k is also an option but is a bit more of a challange to acquire.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Get rid of Win98, any Win9x screws itself up until it can no longer work. Back in the days of Win9x I had to reinstall the damn thing every 2 months if I was lucky.

Get yourself a copy of WinXP, Professional if possible. It should work very well with your computer out of the box.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
you can go into the control panel and shut that 'standby' and 'sleep mode' stuff off. it's under power options or power management in the control panel.

i always had trouble with that stuff when i had a Windows ME.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Uhmm no problems here well not for a while! 98 on one xp pro on another..
98se is the best win/os in my opinion out now for 5,6yrs plenty of patches
and fixes for it right off the start tab/ update windows.

Also Anti virus super important! search for AVG anti virus it's free
there are others too..

Adaware & spybot search & destroy ....good free programs to remove
spyware, spybots cookies that track you ....etc...
We all get that stuff on our pc's some is nastier then others!

Also (not running myself right now) Norton Utilities...
will clean your registry remove non working entries ...etc..
This is what kill windows eventually F'd up reg files...& stuff..
There are other free progs out there that supposedly do that stuff too!

After getting some of the above going Especially updating windows
patches if not current!
Open IE and go to tools/internet options/ you should see temp internet folder/ delte files ...
do that check "off line content" too!

scandisk'd lately? Defragged ever?
start/ accesories/ sytem tools..

good luck..

·
Registered
376 Posts
evil girl said:
well, it could be a lot of things. First off, your running 98. It's plagued with problems, and I'm sure you heard that before. First thing I would do is check which version you have. If your not sure how to do that, go to start/ settings/ control panel/ system. It will show you which version. You want to be running at least win 98SE. If you aren't my suggestion would be to start considering upgrading to Win XP home at least with svc pk1. I'm not a proponant of microsoft by any means, but I've been using the win os since 3.1 (crap) and win xp is by far more stable.

Anyway. the other thing to check is your temporary folder, it could be filled with misc junk.
That will be under c:\windows\temp select everything, and delete and then delete your recycle bin. If it is fairly empty, then I would check your temporary internet files too.
c:\windows\temporary internet files (well something like that)

I haven't used win 98 in a while so my directions may not be 100% correct, but should get you going in the right direction.

hope that helps.

Oh, it would help too to find out your total RAM, total hard drive space and available hard drive space too. You could be running really low on both.
First off, your running 98. It's plagued with problems. That statment made me chuckle. I have yet to see one Microsoft OS that isn't plagued with problems.

All these ideas posted here are great.

Windows98 handles virtual memory a little better than 3.0 and 3.1 Atleast you don't have to set the swapfile to 0 to reset it. Make sure you have atleast 100mb of free HD space.
Right click My computer, goto properties, and make sure your resources are above 75%.
Also goto start, run and type mscfg or msconfig, hit enter. Can't remember which command works for 98 and remove all the trash out of your startup, click ok, and reboot. Then go back and recheck your recheck your available system resources.
download spybot or ad-aware(after you install, download the update) from www.download.com and run a virus protection program as well.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doraf said:
Right click My computer, goto properties, and make sure your resources are above 75%.
It's only 66% what's up with that? What do I do?

·
Registered
376 Posts
f2benny said:
It's only 66% what's up with that? What do I do?
goto start, run and type mscfg or msconfig, hit enter. Can't remember which command works for 98. Click on the startup tab at the top right and remove the trash out of your startup, click ok, and reboot. Then go back and recheck your available system resources.
download spybot or ad-aware(after you install, download the update) from www.download.com and run a virus protection program as well.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Your problem is the OS.. like everyone else said, the OS self destructs basically and you have to reformat and reinstall everything. Same thing used to happen to me when I ran Win 9x. XP Pro hasn't given me a single problem ever since I've installed it.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IS there anyway to install a new OS without getting rid of my other data like photos on the hard disc?

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Yep Benny there is but it can be a slight risk, Win XP or Win2k are both exelent OS'es and can be gotten very easily from Kazaa Lite or DC++ networks (fileshare services) both have the option to upgrade but like any install it can be risky.
Depending on the power of your pc XP is a hog and needs a fast cpu unless its done right it will bog down even a 2 gig cpu. Try to find a XP Pro version of Win PE thats pre install its a hack of Xp thats done up without the garbage and runs very fast and stable. It can also run without installing at all if you have 512mb of memory it will run right off the CD which makes for easy fixes and looks into wtf is going on. It includes partition magic, and a anti virus plus a ton of other execlent programs with it. It is literally a pc tool box on one cd. it unpacks to an amazing 3 gigs! Whoever made it is a genius and made XP a winner in my book.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts