Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
butt marker
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you really need to study for the A+ cert? I went over their 40 sample questions without getting any wrong, Are they really that simple? Should I just sign up and take the test? Are the Network+ and Server+ exam worth taking as well or would my money be better spent on doing something else like some MCSE testing? What are most employers looking for?

I was also thinking about the CCNA test, but I know I would probably need some good study material to pass it. I already manage our 2960 switch now so I figure it can be done.

My problem is that I didn't go to college for IT and I am trying to figure out which certs would be the best to prove my proficiency without going back. I have a lot of down time now so I want to study at home and test out. What would be the best bets to shoot me into a 100K+ career? (I make 80K now, so I don't want to quit until I have my resume in shape for higher pay.) For that pay grade, if I do have to go back to college, what would be my best choice? Will an associates degree do or am I looking at 3-4 years of school again? (A tech school just doesn't cut it in my mind)

·
Registered
545 Posts
CompTIA, in actuality, is a fluff cert. The people in Geek Squad should even be able to pass these.

putting money in your Cisco certs would be best.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
None of the Comptia certs are highly regarded (although Security+ is actually fairly good). They are kind of like a high school diploma. "Oh, you've got one of those? Congratulations on being able to breathe!".

MCSE and CCNA are the base certs for Microsoft technology and networking. Either of those is worthwhile, and should be easily doable with home study if you have access to a Cisco box.

Beyond that you can proceed down the Cisco network track, and/or the MCSE specializations. The Cisco stuff is straightforward, but hard if you don't have access to gear. CISSP is the definitive IT security cert, but it's *not* easy to pass, particularly without experience.

KeS

·
butt marker
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, the comptia a+ cert shows up all over the place in job postings, but the questions seemed soo simple I wasn't sure they would be worth the time. MCSE and the CCNA are probably what I will start out with then. Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Unfortunately the HR personnel who do the hiring, have no clue what CCNA and CCNP are. They use A+ as a hiring standard, when you have the more advanced certs you get to move up afterwards. Hardest part of the A+, is it's a history test. You'll see questions like "Who was the first printer company to incorporate an LCD?" and stupid shit like that.
It's kind of like having a degree in astrophysics, but the job just wants to hear "Yeah I took Algebra."

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you really need to study for the A+ cert? I went over their 40 sample questions without getting any wrong, Are they really that simple? Should I just sign up and take the test? Are the Network+ and Server+ exam worth taking as well or would my money be better spent on doing something else like some MCSE testing? What are most employers looking for?

I was also thinking about the CCNA test, but I know I would probably need some good study material to pass it. I already manage our 2960 switch now so I figure it can be done.

My problem is that I didn't go to college for IT and I am trying to figure out which certs would be the best to prove my proficiency without going back. I have a lot of down time now so I want to study at home and test out. What would be the best bets to shoot me into a 100K+ career? (I make 80K now, so I don't want to quit until I have my resume in shape for higher pay.) For that pay grade, if I do have to go back to college, what would be my best choice? Will an associates degree do or am I looking at 3-4 years of school again? (A tech school just doesn't cut it in my mind)
I'm in the same situation as you and I am just wondering what you are looking at as far as jobs in the IT field most of what I see around here is help desk and things like that, that I feel qualified for anyway.

So I guess my question is what do you do now and what are you looking to do once you get the certifications?

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
You want to head towards IA, SAN, and database management/construction as the big growth areas for the next decade. It's all about aggregating massive amounts of data and sifting it for correlations.

KeS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts