Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is, I don't have work Friday and me and a guy I ride with found an open parkinglot which iis privately owned to go practice basic wheelies. We have permission so all that is good.

Now, I am not really looking to dropping my bike, even though i know it may happen, I am trying to avoid it. Wheelies, lets just drop it to the bare basics. No paragraphs needed, no need to direct me to the sticky, and well any help is appreciated. Oh and i know clutching is better, but i need to get used to the feeling of being on one wheel ya know?

This is what my plan is.

- Go about 15 mph

- Roll off, then on(I am a little nervous so i am sure it won't come up the first time, so i plan to do this for a good bit)

- Then maybe bounce (push with legs?) around the same speed and throttle on then off.

- and I plan to have the rear brake covered.....all the time.

List any flaws in that and let me know whats up.

If I get used to it, then maybe i will clutch, seeing as how we have all day(from morning till 5 pm since I have the MSF friday) I think I might move on.

SO for clutching

Pull in clutch

Give gas with clutch still in till RPMS get what? 5k-ish?

Slowly release....then see what happens?

I am trying to ease into the whole wheelie thing real easy. I wish I had a dirtbike to bum from someone, then I wouldn't care about dropping it.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should I have pics taken to see my errors and what-not? Or just first try and learn it without seeing it from a different angle?

·
Registered
72 Posts
dont try standing/bounce until you're very comfortable with your front end coming up. if you go "oh shit" when it comes up too high, then you're still not comfortable. it's a fear response that only time will get over it.

you don't slowly release the clutch when clutching, that defeats the point.

15mph is too slow (imo) to learn power wheelies on an R6. best advice i can give is to start at 20... start going WOT until u reach 35, then completely close throttle, then completely open throttle (don't do this first few times). it should lift.

WARNING - if u power wheelie, the bike will whip itself up much faster after it has obtained ~3ft. be VERY careful about how long you stay on the throttle. do not try to ride wheelies if you're first trying. just get used to hte front coming up. until you're comfortable with the movement your bike makes when it pops up, you will not be able to easily learn to ride wheelies.

please take your time. this isn't something you learn in 1 day, dont expect the world. it took me 2 riding seasons to get to a point i felt comfortable in myself.

please also note, if you go out and look to practice for 4+hrs, you're going to either get cocky or tired or both. don't let your ego/attitude/condition effect your judgement. know your limits. know that purposely going out to stunt is a great way to go down. keep honest with yourself and you should be fine, just take it slow.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, gonna go slow for sure, im in no rush. I might practice for alittle while, go to some twisties then try again later. I do plan on using this off day to learn though, or at least get a start.

So your saying quickly release the clutch? And uh, your saying after 3ft(power) the bike lifts up quicker than say if I were clutchin it?

thanks for the advice

again, im in no rush at all, just trying to get the basics and maybe start learning them.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
yeh slowly releasing the clutch isnt gonna work. and to power wheelie that r6, you're gonna need to snap that throttle around 7k rpm or so for it to lift

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uh, kind of figured something liike that, Thanks all, Ima og out tomm and see what I can do.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went out during my lunch break and was playing with the clutch to geta "feel" for it, and around 6k it just surges forward and feels like the bike is going to come from under me. That's normal right?

Well we still plan on going out tomm if it isn't fucking storming cat and deer tomm.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yea, if it just lunges forward like its trying to take off it just means you dont have enough throttle to get it off the ground.. Go a little higher, it will come up.

·
Registered
486 Posts
you may be releasing the clutch to slow also, 6K should be enought to get it off the ground a little at low speeds, not going to be a high but atleast it will get you used to bringing the front end up, also make sure that your front wheel is straight when coming back down are your junk is going to slam the tank, and its not going to be that smooth coming down at first but the longer you ride them out the smoother it will be when sitting the front wheel back down.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Little 8-10 inch wheelies were accomplished today. Man it is all about fear, As the day wore on, the more confident(still scared, just not as much) I became. I plan to practice a good bit more. Thanks for all of the advice guys.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Cash is slipping to the darkside :D

If you want it just take it slow and they will come. Theres plenty of advice floating around on these boards and online so i don't need to put my .02 cents in. Just be careful and have fun and choose your wheelie location wisely.

Theres something about being up on one wheel...:headbang

·
Registered
72 Posts
just take your time, don't force it. once your front end comes up and you start wondering what's for dinner before you even set it back down, then you're ready. it's completely about mastering your own fear and then learning the throttle. just get used to it jumping and how your body hangs. as soon as you're comfortable you'll be able to start riding them out.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, we had planned to take some that day, but my wheelies were so short and quick, it never came out. But the nextr day I have off, I am gonna be out there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
like every one said just make sure you don't get too cocky and make sure to stay away from hazzards one thing to wreck but another to wreck and have your bike hit somes car or worse you get hit by a car, after you get it down you'll get more distance but it takes lots of pratice just be carefully ware you gear. and have fun there is nonething like doing a stand up for a mile or so but like i said becarefull anything can go wrong i know. no matter how many times you rode a wheelie for how many miles tottal shit happens just allways ware you gear.

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
i started out clutching wheelies and i still have actually never done a real power wheelie, i just dont like em. take your time and dont try to ride until you can predict what the front end will do everytime, ex. how high it will go when you try different things.

·
Registered
72 Posts
throttle? a zx-10r should lift without question. if u cant wheelie a zx-10r, go out and get a dirtbike/atv and practice on that cause you're likely to hurt yourself when you do. not purposely trying to sound like an ass, but looking out for ya.

cover rear brake.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts