Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm healing, I'd like to start compiling an Official SBN FZ6 FAQ. However, I need your help to come up with both the questions and the answers to questions. I'm far from an expert on this bike, but with all of our combined knowledge we are pros.

Please post questions and/or answers to your question or someone else's question. Once we start getting some good info, I can compile it into a nice FAQ format (and of course keep it updated!) :urowned

Rules
  • No subjective questions like "which exhaust is best" please. You could ask "Where could I find out more information about FZ6 exhausts" in which case the answer would be a link to The Exhaust Thread.
  • FZ6-related questions only. There are other FAQs on this site for other aspects of motorcycling
  • If you are answering a question, provide as much detail as possible
  • Please uniquely number your questions and answers so we know which question you are answering! (see example)
Here's an example:
Someone posts:
Q1: Is there an advantage to letting the fan run after the bike is shut down?
Someone else replies:
A1: No. The FZ6 is water-cooled, so the water pump (powered by the engine) needs to be running to circulate the cooled water. For more info see this thread: [thread link]
Got it? Let's do this! :banana

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I think this is a great idea and I'll try to help in whatever way I can.

I forgot to mention, though, that it will have to be on another night.. :) zzz

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Q2: What is the top speed of a stock FZ6?
Q3: How often should the chain be lubed?
Q4: For the break-in period, the manual recommends <7k rpm for 600 miles, then an oil change, then <8.4k for 1000 miles. Is this the best or is there a better scheme?
Q5: Where can I find the FZ6 Service Manual?

A5: Crazymofo has it hosted on his website. Thanks crazy!

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
Q6- What are frame sliders and what brands are available?

A6- Frame sliders attach to your frame and provide protection to the bike in case of a tip over. Brands available are R&G Racing, Motivation, LSL, FZS, and ??? (opinion...this should be the first modification you consider!)

Q7- What is the stock sprocket sizes?

A7-16 teeth front and 46 rear for a 530 size chain.

Q8- What is a speedohealer?

A7- It is an electronic device that corrects the speedometer reading that is generally high from the factory by 5-10%.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Q1.56: Holy crap! My tail light is loose! Has anyone else noticed this?

A1.56: Yes, it's normal, and it's intended to help the rear bulb last longer. If you need to replace the rear bulb, any 1157 bulb will work.

Q7.82: I don't understand the diagram for measuring chain tension. What am I measuring?

A7.82: You're measuring the play in the chain, not the distance from the swingarm. With the bike on the centerstand, push the chain up and measure. Pull the chain down and measure. The difference between the two is what you're looking for. I may seem really loose, but will pull tighter when the bike is off the stand with a rider on it.

Edit: Oh yeah...
A3: Read the owner's manual. (might link to Yamaha site where you can download it)
A4: Everyone has an opinion about the best way to break in a bike. Do whatever you're comfortable with. Of course, following the Yamaha guidelines makes it a bit easier to justify warranty engine repairs if necessary.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
SilverBuzz said:
Q6- What are frame sliders and what brands are available?

A6- Frame sliders attach to your frame and provide protection to the bike in case of a tip over. Brands available are R&G Racing, Motivation, LSL, FZS, and ??? (opinion...this should be the first modification you consider!)

Q7- What is the stock sprocket sizes?

A7-16 teeth front and 46 rear for a 530 size chain.

Q8- What is a speedohealer?

A7- It is an electronic device that corrects the speedometer reading that is generally high from the factory by 5-10%.
A6, Addendum A: They're actually FS6 sliders not FZS.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Great idea. It's fun and a good way to organize and assess what we know.

A6- include the comments about sliders that require particular sockets, ie Stanley or whatever's skiny.

I hope we can make an exception on FEs and list all, but recommend our own particular member's product!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Q9 Where can I get all these aftermarket parts for the Fz6 if I'm in the US?

if someone could provide a good list of links to different websites and what parts are there that would be great! i've been reading and reading and searching only to find a few aftermarket parts so far.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Fz600ss said:
Q9 Where can I get all these aftermarket parts for the Fz6 if I'm in the US?

if someone could provide a good list of links to different websites and what parts are there that would be great! i've been reading and reading and searching only to find a few aftermarket parts so far.

A quick search in this forum, and you would have turned up the aftermarket mods thread in the mods sub-fourm.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Gand said:
While I'm healing, I'd like to start compiling an Official SBN FZ6 FAQ...
I think this would be a great addition to the forum. It would be a good replacement to those old links that Fred has at the top of the FZ6 forum. I'll work on Fred getting those links replaced out with the FAQ once we get the FAQ compiled.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Q: Should I use WD-40 to lube my chain?

A: While this is a topic of constant debate, the general consensus is that WD-40 is ok to use to clean the chain but because it is not technically a lubricant and will not stick to the chain it should not be used as a replacement for a quality motorcycle chain lube or wax such as ... (list of brands we like... I use Maxima Wax)

---

Q: One of my front turn signals seems to have become loose, what now?

A: First check, is it the light fixture housing which is loose from the stalk, or is the entire stalk assembly loose from the fairing?

If the fixture is loose from the stalk, on the reverse side of the fairing, remove the "cap" which is over the rubber stalk by prying away the rubber handles. There will be a nut and bolt inside the stalk which you will need to tighten.

If the entire rubber stalk is loose from the fairing, first try pushing and/or pulling the stalk to see if you can feel it getting "seated" inside the fairing between the rubber holders. If you feel no resistance when you push or pull the stalk, the glue holding a piece of the inner fairing to the outer fairing may have failed or been dislodged. If this is the case, looking in the turn signal hole from the outside of the fairing you should see a rough edge inside attached to the stalk which forms a circle around the stalk. You can use plastic epoxy or super glue to re-affix it to the back of the outer fairing.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Q: Will the seat become more comfortable over time?

A: No, the seat remains just as uncomfortable as it was the day you picked it up. Forum members have recommended the FZ6 replacement seat made by Corbin (--link--) for increased comfort over longer time periods.

P.S. Can a mod please make this thread sticky for the time being, it's already getting lost.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Q: Where do the brackets that come with the Yamaha Chin Fairing mount?

A: Mount the brackets on each side of the bottom of the oil pan, respectively. Make sure you remember to use Loctite Blue or another removeable thread locking compound and tighten as securely as possible!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Q: There is a black sludge running down the center of my bike, dripping all around my oil filter... do I have an oil leak?

A: Probably not, this is probably just old chain lube/grunge dripping from your front sprocket cover. If it really bothers you, you might want to take the sprocket cover off occasionally and clean all of the sludge out from inside there.

Q10: How do I remove the sprocket cover and properly clean my front sprocket?

Q11: What can I use to safely clean my tires and restore their original black colour?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have no problems with the seat. It's fine, even for long rides. However, I concur that if it started uncomfortable, it doesn't get any better.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
XarsonX said:
How do I make the down pipes silver again? Is this possible?
I tried chrome polish and it made them very shiney, but not silver.
Try a search of this forum. It's been discussed to great lengths.

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Q10: How do I remove the sprocket cover and properly clean my front sprocket?
A10- Remove the allen bolts and carefully remove the cover from behind the shifter arm to prevent scratching the plastic cover. Use your favorite method to clean the area.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts