Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before, but I can't seem to find it. Just curious if anyone knows how different these two bikes are. The stats for the R are easy to find, but I have had trouble finding information on the RR. Anyone know horsepower, torque, and other stats for the RR? I ask because I'm considering both bikes, and no I'm not one of those guys that has to know which bike has that extra tenth of a second on the 1/4 mile that they'll never squeeze out of the bike, I just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. I've ridden the 636, and I assume the RR isn't a ridiculous step up from it. I know the RR is 600cc, while the 636 is 636cc, but engine size rarely tells the whole story. Any information comparing riding position, acceleration, stability, etc would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
331 Posts
In 05 the RR ( 600 ) and the R (636) are basically the same bike but the RR has a 599cc motor where the R has the 636cc motor.
The RR only comes in Green where the R comes in various colors.

The RR only exists for homoligation rules so Kawasaki can race it in AMA , 1000 units have to be available to the public in order for the bike to be raced in AMA competition.

They have the same riding position , both have slipper clutches , radial mount calipers , wave rotors etc........

The RR makes less power than the R.

The RR has " anti expansion " brake lines , a close ratio gear box , and supposedly a tad bit better stock suspension than the R.

All I can say is if you are a street rider , you wont notice the subtle differences between them , other than the power difference so get whichever one you like best.

Personally , I bought the 636 because it is used as my race bike and It is legal to race in the " 600 " class against the 599cc machines in club level racing so that 37cc advantage is nice.

The suspension and brake lines dont stay stock anyway so I will take the extra power right out of the box and build on that. :banana

Hope that helped you a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at an 05 6rr for about a grand under MSRP. They are offering it for the same price as the 6r. Of course insurance is cheaper on the 599cc.

There's something I like about the "screamer" nature of the bike and of course it's always nice to have something you don't see very often. Realistically, however, while it will be ridden at the track the street is where it will receive the majority of its miles. Drives me nuts not being able to see the top of the tach unless I'm in a tuck, but I suppose I'd grow accustom to it. Ahh well, I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
331 Posts
FYI The MSRP on the RR is only $200 more than MSRP on the R so if the dealer is saying it's $1000 off MSRP and that makes it the same price as an R , someone is giving you bad information.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I should have clarified. They are selling the RR at $1,000 under MSRP, and they are discounting the 6r such that they are both the same price. Which means they are selling the 6r at ~$800 below MSRP.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oh OK........ good luck with buying either because they are both great bikes. :cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts