Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my dad rides an 04 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 classic cruiser, its ver comfortable but that cruiser style isnt exactly me. i have sat on many street stlye bikes and many cruiser styles as well, i have only driven my dads vulcan in circles in a parkinglot because im still learning how to ride. now i sit down on a street style bike and get the way it feels but then i sit on a cruiser style and feel soo much more comfortable, my dad thinks the same way, he has never ridden one but he thinks that it would be incredibly uncomfortable to drive a street bike....street bikes are more my style, so my question is... are you guys comfortable enough to go on long cruises on ur street bikes? because i really want one but my dad has me convinced that they will be too uncomfortable.... plz fill me in on the everything you guys think about riding street stlye vs cruiser stlye. i obviously know that cruisers are meant for comfort for long distances but im wondering if street bikes are too uncomfortable to go cruising. thanks for reading. id appreciate any responses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also what do you guys think of an 02 Suzuki SV650 for a first bike? i can get it for $4799 any opinions?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
mjulian4 said:
also what do you guys think of an 02 Suzuki SV650 for a first bike? i can get it for $4799 any opinions?
IMO they are very comfy. but then again i'm not you. and be prepared to get griped at about that as a first(SBN ROCKS!!!!!!) id say get what you like. but then again, thats my opinion. :headbang

·
Registered
52 Posts
it is a great first bike. my wife started out on one. the price may be a little high. i got a 2002 sv650s for $4700 brand new still in the crate. if you do some searching you will find a better deal. i think one of the members on here has a 2002 sv650s for $4500 he may even come down on that. look through the florida forums, it was posted about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Buy used whatever you do...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eskimo is saying street style is comfy....anyone else agree? it doesnt kill your back after a long ride? im not questioning your wisdom eskimo i just wanna know more opinions.

·
Registered
157 Posts
the best way to determine is to go to a lbs (local bike shop) and just sit on the bikes for a least 10minutes in riding position. I got to do that and it really helped me figure out what I wanted.

I was dead set on a honda vtx, then just by chance my husband said sit on the ninja 500r. At first I didn't like it, the thought of riding on it for 40miles for each ride, but I kept sitting there... and turns out that's what I got.
Yah, the honda probably would have been more comfortable on the straights of the throughway... but it would have been as boring a hell.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
evil girl said:
I was dead set on a honda vtx,
Yah, the honda probably would have been more comfortable on the straights of the throughway... but it would have been as boring a hell.

There not that boring,In fact they will rail a corner pretty good. :headbang :)

Now,to answer this guys question.

If by streetbikes,you are refering to a sportbike(crotch rocket,one of them Ninja things).The full fairing bikes like what you see racing on TV,take some getting used to.In fact,your body has to be well conditioned to take it on a long ride.

The nakid bikes,such as the SV650,are more comfy.They have a more upright seating position.These bikes,for the most part,have only a 1/2 fairing.Others like it include the Honda 919/599,Yamaha FZ600 or the Ninja 250/500.

The latter,Ninja 250/500,is what you shouls be starting on if you choose to buy one of these bikes.For futher info on this matter,read the post in the New Rider forum.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think my SV650 is very comfortable, and the wide range of bar options allows you to suit what makes you comfortable. However the SVS only has clipons and can be a little more difficult to take. I don't like these for first bikes though, even though they are better than most, the power and torque are more than adequate for an experienced rider, let alone a newbie.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
yes, cruisers are ment to be comphy, but also I have no problem with my sportbike. I've ridin to California on my 96' 600F3 and had no problems. Ppl on cruisers think that you HAVE to lean over on a sportbike to ride them. Well that isnt true. I'm 5'5" and I don't have to lean on my bike unless I feel the need to. And that since Im a girl, and my reach is alot less then a males, I've only had a problems with some bikes and the leaning.

It's completey up to you whether you want to lean or not. And I also suggest, you go to a dealer and sit on quit a few bikes and see how you feel on each one.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
japbike said:
yes, cruisers are ment to be comphy, but also I have no problem with my sportbike. I've ridin to California on my 96' 600F3 and had no problems. Ppl on cruisers think that you HAVE to lean over on a sportbike to ride them. Well that isnt true. I'm 5'5" and I don't have to lean on my bike unless I feel the need to. And that since Im a girl, and my reach is alot less then a males, I've only had a problems with some bikes and the leaning.

It's completey up to you whether you want to lean or not. And I also suggest, you go to a dealer and sit on quit a few bikes and see how you feel on each one.

HIJACK here.
I thought you were going away for a while.Did you work things out?

Now a reply to the leaning thing.
You bring up an intresting compairison on this,short rider versus the taller rider.At 5'5",I can see where someone would'nt have to lean so much as someone that is 6' like myself.

I think what I'm trying to say is,with the taller rider,one would have more upper body weight on the clipons.Thus,causing for a less comfy ride on a long one.On long str8 roads,it gets to me after a while,so much so that I bought a Vista Cruise control yesterday.I'm starting to get that arm pump pretty bad in my old age.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My bike is comfy. If your on a long ride and start getting uncomfy. you can adjust the way your sittting and that usually helps. I don't know much about the SV650 but I've been told they're really good starter bikes and they corner really well.
Just my .02

·
Registered
19 Posts
About a week ago, we took a ride down to Philly (roughly a 300 mile trip) By the time I got off that R6, I couldnt move a muscle in my body & I was sore for a few days. Then again, Id hadnt been on a bike in about a year. Your body will eventually adjust to that riding position; youre using muscles that you normally havent. After a while, I dont think it phases many people.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sportbikes CAN be ridden long distance. My longest day on the TT was 1038 miles. Yes, I was quite sore after this ride, but it can be done. Once you're used to the bike, a 3-500 mile day would be nothing. The footpegs are placed further back on a sportbike and after a while your legs get uncomfortable tucked underneath you. The handlebars are low and place more weight on your wrists, also causing shoulder fatigue. When at speed the wind against your chest and helmet will relieve some of the weight on your wrists.

Many crusiers would actually be less comfortable for long hauls than a sportbike. The seating position puts all of your weight on your bum and the handlebar reach makes your body into a sail. Any bumps go right up your spine, and with forward pegs you can't help support your weight with your legs.

The most comfortable bikes for long hauls have pegs placed so that your legs are comfortably bent, but so that you can easily stand to lift yourself out of the seat. The handlebars should be low enough that you are leaning slightly forward, but not so far that you are supporting most of your weight on your wrists.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I can ride for hours and am very comfy until about 300 miles then I start to go numb and my back will get sore. I also ride harleys and they are more comfy but i dont like the tameness of them. It all depends on you and what you consider to be a long ride 300 to me is long on a rocket in one day but you can do it then some if you want. If the average ride is 150 miles or less then you should be more than happy.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I own a 96' Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. I find my Yamaha FZR1000 to be much more comfortable for me. The seats on both bikes are stock and I find that my tailbone is really sore the next day after I ride the Vulcan. My wrists do get a little stiff after 75 miles or so on the Fizzer, but I would take it on a long trip anyday over the Vulcan. Also, sportbikes seem to be much more stable on the highway.

·
Registered
681 Posts
mjulian4 said:
eskimo is saying street style is comfy....anyone else agree? it doesnt kill your back after a long ride? im not questioning your wisdom eskimo i just wanna know more opinions.
There are 4 basic types of bikes(to help you talk about them in the future-proper terms):

Cruiser - feet down like in a chair/feet forward like a recliner.

Dualsport - dirtbike style bike with head/tail lights and blinkers, upright riding position, almost like standing up.

Standard - feet under you, bars slighty forward....almost like leaning with you hands against a wall being frisked by the cops.

Sportbike(to include sport tourers) - feet behind you, knees tucked up, leaning way forward to the bars, almost like a baseball catcher stance.

I purposely left out choppers, race bikes and full dress touring bikes.

BTW, please question eskimo's wisdom!!! He's 16, ran from the cops on his bike :spank (and is grounded from it:lol) and really doesn't know much as he's a newbie w/ little experience....not to mention, at his age, being bent over like a monkey fucking a football is pretty easy to find comfortable for a long peroid of time. Children are flexible for the most part, unlike us aging veterans who ache all over from just thinking about it.:twofinger

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
gpTT said:
Sportbikes CAN be ridden long distance. My longest day on the TT was 1038 miles. Yes, I was quite sore after this ride, but it can be done. Once you're used to the bike, a 3-500 mile day would be nothing. The footpegs are placed further back on a sportbike and after a while your legs get uncomfortable tucked underneath you. The handlebars are low and place more weight on your wrists, also causing shoulder fatigue. When at speed the wind against your chest and helmet will relieve some of the weight on your wrists.

Many crusiers would actually be less comfortable for long hauls than a sportbike. The seating position puts all of your weight on your bum and the handlebar reach makes your body into a sail. Any bumps go right up your spine, and with forward pegs you can't help support your weight with your legs.

The most comfortable bikes for long hauls have pegs placed so that your legs are comfortably bent, but so that you can easily stand to lift yourself out of the seat. The handlebars should be low enough that you are leaning slightly forward, but not so far that you are supporting most of your weight on your wrists.
+1 on that. and 1038 miles! :2eek
A lot depends on your individual physique and the particular bike. Sitting on a bike at the dealer
doesn't do much... You have to experience it on the road with the wind. Riding a cruiser
without a windscreen is like hanging from a chin-up bar for a long time.
On my 750 I got plenty of wind hitting me mid-chest level, like leaning into a cushion of air.
The stock seat was a PITA and the knees took a beating after a while.
With the 1000, the windscreen lifts the air up to my shoulders and I don't get as much assistance from the wind.
Lots less wind noise, though. But the seat is much friendlier. Legroom still not great for long trips,
but I would still take one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts