Sport Bikes banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I do a quick run thru downtown in the Springs, on my out of town. I got about 3 months of hell left, and I'll have to break-in my new bike during the winter! But with the CO weather, I expect some weird 70 degree days.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
oh yeah Highside. I find myself out riding in the dead of winter sometimes. It never pays to put a bike up for the winter like it does in the northeast. Here we'll get days on end of 60 degree weather in february. Just sub zero and freezing the next day........

I like to hang out down town on weekend nights. It's fun. I refuse to go up to the shell anymore but I used to. I just go ride in GotG or ute pass or lower gold camp to break up standing around. But it's night and the point is to watch the Drunk Parade on Tejon St. I don't expect people to get all hardcore in the dark out here, but I DO expect more than riding back and forth to shell and downtown on Union, over and over.

I can't fucking PAY someone to run the pass in the dark with me. Is it anymore dangerous than the constant stunting they are doing? Not really- it just takes alot more skill. but that is a different rant.

But during the day- I love high speed sweepers on 105 towards Sedelia. Turn left when 105 dead ends back towards the far end of Rampart Range Rd and it's twisty heaven all the way to Deckers.

But even in the twisties here, you will see 50 Harleys to every sportbike. Drive by the parking lot at the softball fields on Powers and you'll see 30 sportbikes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
After I get home, 2 bikes to scream around with and I will ride any day its not snowing!

Coming from FL, learned the salt/sand road mix the hard way, low-sided my 7R at 40mph= Pissed!

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've been here for a week, in an apartment off of Fillmore Road. So far I have not riden but the bikes are here, been real busy looking at homes which we just put an offer on one on the North side with a $1 million view :)

I plan to go for a ride tomorrow, my wife wil be up in Denver for a week for training so I got to watch the animals then back to MI I will go.

Today we went for a drive and saw the Seven Waterfalls. Then headed to Cripple Creek by way of 24 and 67, and came back on the dirt roads of Gold Camp and Old Stage Rd. Great views, and it made me want to get a dual sport.

Anyways maybe we can hook up in the next week...

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is plenty of good riding both in springs and out. As for me i avoid acadamy at all costs, the road is full of idiots willing to run you off the road because they can't look before they pull out, if you stay to Powers and Nevad to run N and S and Platte or maybe Woodmen to run E & W. As far as out of town riding just stay to the west! anything east of springs is flat and straight, but most everything to the west has hills and plenty of twisties to keep anyone happy. Probably a nice day ride is to take 24 over to salida and come all the way back down 50 to canon city, then run up hwy 115 back to springs, prolly about 120-160 miles round trip, but gorgeous country. Welcome to colorado!

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you, now that it has almost been a year and I even have a site with road reviews: Colorado Weekend Road Warriors and I sit in corners and take pictures of riders and charge a small fee for the print it is all working out...not to mention I been busy with that No-Mar I bought...I been changing a lot of tires :) I also am looking into selling Chinese scooters...so I been pretty busy lately.

Academy is a joke especially closer to night when the squids come out and hang at the Shell station...LOL Heck even rice boys come out in their crappy old cars and try and take you from the light. Funny to beat them in a Focus olnly to get a fly by.

I stay off of Powers, we moved into a house in Monument (Baptist Rd and I25 area). I take I25 to US24 all the time...then decide which way traffic is not going. Most runs are 150-400 miles, I got to say I never just go 20 miles.

Yeah, the roads to the east are flat and straight but still neat. Amazing the old homes out there in the middle of no where. I am still looking at Dual Sports, or a YZF450 and just plating it seeing as the plating laws here are so relaxed. Maybe even a KTM or Beta.

See you around....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Duelin' in Colorado Rockies

I spend more time in the summer on my DRZ in the foothills west of the Springs than on the SV1000. There are lots of great enduro rides where you were on Old Stage and Gold Camp as well as some ATV and single track trails. Also Rampart Range Road is a hoot on the dirt bike. Many trails off of it also. You can also make it a day and ride from the Springs to Sedalia on Rampart. Still gotta get out on the SV while the weather is nice though, plenty of great roads and places to see in this area. Hope to see you out riding.

Matt K-n-J moto

·
Registered
15 Posts
Matt's Favorites

Ok, so here are some of my favorite rides around Colorado Springs. Deckers and Cripple Creek are good as long as it's on the weekdays, too much traffic on the weekends. South on 115 to Florence then 67 to Wetmore and then 96 up the canyon. Turn left on 165 to Bishops Castle. Back along 165 to 96 into Westcliff. North along 69 to Texas Creek. Decision time, either west along 50 to Salida and backtrack or left and back towards Canon City. Turn north on 9 and follow signs to Cripple Creek (the back way). A longer day or even two day ride is 50 to Monarch Pass and Gunnison. After Blue Mesa reservoir take 92 north, very twisty and scenic. Then either west and up over Grand Mesa or north to Paonia and towards Carbondale. East on 82 to Aspen and back to CS. If this sounds crazy follow it on maps.google and it will make sense. North of I-70 131 to Steamboat is one of my favorites. If you do this you have to do 134 over Gore Pass, twisty and scenic. There are more but these are some of my favorites.

Matt K-n-J moto

21 - 29 of 29 Posts