Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the wife and I might be moving out to Colorado Springs, or Boulder, CO. I will know next week Thursday when she does a phone interview for a position out there. The first call she had with them went real good, so we are assuming it will be a slam dunk considering her type of job (Pharmacist). The place will even pay for us to move, and if we have trouble selling our house here (which we will) they pay 10% of what our asking price was...LOL So I am thinking to list high, plus my father in-law is a realator and he be the listing agent saving us some fees :)

Looking at MS Streets & Trips it looks like there are plenty of good roads out of Colorado Springs area. How are they with cops? I been through Fort Collins in the cage and it seemed nice and a lot of nice roads. We also do skiing (which we fly out to CO once a year to do anyways) so how is skiing near Colorado Springs?

We are both excited about this. It will open up new options for me career wise. Maybe I can get back into the IT field...if nothing else maybe start a business out there.

Anyways I'm excited to ride all the roads out there, it will waken me up some as I do not go out and ride much anymore from lack of new roads. Plus I'll probably push to buy that new KLR650 to explorer the back country :)

Oh, what are the good places in Colorado Springs to live and work, and what parts should we stay away from?

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
11 Views and no help...LOL Does that mean I should not expect some friendly people in CO...hehehe Or is everyone out riding?

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
I've been out to Colorado almost half a dozen times. I usually stayed in Colorado Spings since my wife's best friend used to live there. It was nice, because you could get up into the mountains fairly quickly by just heading to Woodland Park, then heading north on 67 and 126 is a really nice route. You can also make you way west over to Hwy 9 which is a good road. But from Co Springs you can easily make it as far as Estes Park (or farther) if you want to do a day long ride.

I wish I could tell you more exact routes to take, but I just usaually took off and "explored" the area without a planned route in mind, so I don't remember some of the exact highways I took. It doesn't matter a whole lot. There's so much awesome scenery and nice roads around there it shouldn't be to hard to enjoy it all.

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for some of the help.

How do the bikes run up in the mountains stock?

My 2001 FZ1 has run rich from the factory since the day I got it. I'm assuming my wifes Honda 599 is more of the usual lean running setting the factories usually use. Should I expect to toss on a few jet kits to help with the high altitudes?

Also the interview went well, and the lady if left up to her would say yes, but the guy that makes the final call is out till Monday on vacation so we won't know till Monday...man we are dying waiting to know.

However I plan to start on touching up our house here on stuff I been putting off. Oh, they want her to start end of July...they told us not to worry about the house...sounds like they just might buy it from us and sell it. :) Which would be assume..AS-IS we are lookign at $269K..if I finish the basement then probably $300K-$320K :) Not sure how all this works though...

·
Flyin' Low
24 Posts
A jet kit is a must. Most people jet their bikes for the altitude at which they ride the most aka around town. Sure it will richen up in the mountains, but the amount of time spent at that altitude is no big deal. Hope everything goes well and good luck with the house!

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I will do the Jet Kit once out there :) I do not do mods but this seems one mod I will have to do...lol

As for coming out to CO...looks like the wife is getting a job offer letter mailed to her by the end of the week the lady said. Which means it won't be less then what they already showed for the minumum pay with what they mailed us and all the free moving benifits and stuff. We are excited and scarred at the same time, I have moved a lot in my life, but not as an adult...for me the move will be a headache but easy...for my wife it will be harder leaving family and co-workers and friends behind. I will miss my aunts, cousins, and 2nd cousins...but they are all welcomed to visit.

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the Job Offer...Looks like they gave a VERY big signing bonus (which we did not even ask for), plus they gave my wife the 3 weeks paid vacation she told them she wanted. The lady said they will buy our house after X many days..but she did not know how they figure the value...we got to call some agency they work with and see how that works...if it sound slike we will loose too much my wife will go back and say okay give us this much for our house and will be out there in a week...they want her out there ASAP they said and selling the house was still in their words (Not a big deal), plus the hiring lady said they lost their shirts on another guy that was coming from CA that had a very expensive place...hahaha So our little nothing should not be a big deal.

Only thing is we can not figure out why they need to bring in Pharmacist from so far away...to a place like CO Springs. *shrug*

Oh well, I'll be out and able to enjoy the roads this year :) fromt he sound of it...hehehe

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks like we will be out by the End of August..probably sooner to get setup in the temp living arrangments that are being arranged...I'm busy packing...although they pay for it, I rather pack some of the shit up myself, besides people looking at our house do not need to see books, and family photos and stuff.

I'm hoping to bring the bikes out ASAP, we told the relocation people that we have a big dog and need a place that will work with him...and we were told no problem they will rent us a house furnished :) If so I hope it has a garage or easy to roll the bikes into the place...then I will bring them out. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have lived in Colorado Springs for the last 9 years and ridden here since 2000. There are some really fun roads right near town and some GREAT roads a little to the west. I also work in healthcare. It is a great place to raise a family. PM me when you guys get out here and wanna go for a ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello.

I've been living in the Springs for about a year now. While I haven't been riding that long around here, I can second the 67 loop route mentioned above. Take Hwy 24 to Woodland Park, then take 67 around towards 285.

If you want something with a more moutain twist to it (no pun intended), you can follow 24 clear down through to Hartsel, then left on 285 through to Buena Vista (some ok twists), take Hwy 50 through Bighorn Sheep Canyon down through Canon City, and back to Springs from 115. Not an all day long ride, but it's a nice way to break yourself into what the local area has to offer.

Let us know when you get here. I've been trying to find people to ride with lately and some new routes as well. I used to ride with the wife before our pending divorce, so now I'm a lonely father of two with no one to ride with...:(

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I been meaning to respond.

All the roads to the west look like a blast when I look on Streets & Trips :) I'll be leaving MI August 19th, and we figure we roll in on the 21st. The relocation people are putting us up in an Apartment complex called "The Oasis". From online it looks good, we are hoping to get a unit with a garage as I am bringing the motorcyles out during that trip. (to the relocation people we are stressing we are bringing some household items and need to store them...hehehe). If nothing else we are willing to pay the differance in apartment cost...so we will see what happens.

If nothing else there are local storage units but they all have odd hours, or very high rates or both. Hell maybe I can pay someone here to store the bikes in their garage if it comes down to it...easy money and better to pay someone here then some Arab storage owner. Any takers let me know...I'll keep you as a backup plan.

See you all soon :)

Oh, PS: Is getting CO plates, and lic a one day deal out there?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a list of some great rodes fromt he CO Sportbike club. Hwy 50 was one of the best roads I it so far, as well as the loop. 24 is nice up to Woodland. I hope to be back in town before the weather really gets crazy (ie Snow one day/ 70 degrees and sunny the next)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
we have some decent roads. Not enough decent riders that actually use them. By far the majority of riders here can rattle of lists of parking lots to hang out in, but precious few actually know a road beyond the city limits.

Whatever you do- stay away from the Shell on North Academy. You'll see a bunch of bikes there, but you won't find more than 3 real riders there. Alot of kids, all of them stunter types, but suggest a ride thru say, Garden of the Gods at night, or Ute pass- and you'll be going alone.

I asked more than a dozen people- A FULL Dozen- if they wanted to hit the Pass one night (it's only a couple miles of road, maybe a 15 minute ride) and NOT ONE would do it.

I call alot of those guys friends. But I don't call any of them bikers.

But look me up sometime and we can actually RIDE somewhere. Anyone that's been riding here for any length of time will know me. I'm the one that mocks everyone for not riding.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Lama, agree. I lived up off of Woodmen and visited the Shell a frew times, and noticed the same. I would normally ride by on my way home from a ride and see the same group, so I never stopped. Most of the time on the roads, I was the only one riding, except for some Harley riders.

When I had a scanner in my car, I heard several guys getting chased, or someone calling them in on I25, not sure if it was the same group, but can only assume.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i just moved to fort collins colorado. i htink i am about 2 hours away from you but if you head up this way the mountains are wicked. i havent ridden them because my bike hasnt arrived but i drove through them in the cage and they look awesome!!! hit me up if you come up this way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder if that's the same group that likes to kick it in the K-Mart parking lot, too...hmmm....

I dig riding Ute Pass at night. Since I live near Manitou and work in Woodland Park, I don't have many choices in terms of roadways to get there, but even if I did, I'd take Ute Pass any day/night. Plus, by the time I get out of work, I'm usually the only one on the road at midnight anyhow, so there aren't many cars anyway. Deer, on the other hand....

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dorepsol2 said:
i just moved to fort collins colorado. i htink i am about 2 hours away from you but if you head up this way the mountains are wicked. i havent ridden them because my bike hasnt arrived but i drove through them in the cage and they look awesome!!! hit me up if you come up this way.
I drove through Fort Collins last year heading out west. The roads in the mountains are amazing. There was no traffic which always makes a road nice.

I'm sure I'll be up that way, I'm sure you will see me posting in here more and more soon ;-) One week to go :)

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cymullen said:
I wonder if that's the same group that likes to kick it in the K-Mart parking lot, too...hmmm....

I dig riding Ute Pass at night. Since I live near Manitou and work in Woodland Park, I don't have many choices in terms of roadways to get there, but even if I did, I'd take Ute Pass any day/night. Plus, by the time I get out of work, I'm usually the only one on the road at midnight anyhow, so there aren't many cars anyway. Deer, on the other hand....
There are groups like that everywhere. I guess it seems more funny when it is in a place that has nice roads just a few mins outside of town. You won't see me in a parking lot, I will be riding, and I do not mind riding alone...hehehehe Although to meet a few riders would be cool.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts