Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of going to school to get a degree in motorcycle technology and also personal watercraft and atvs. what do you think? any private messages with info or experiences please let me know

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
My brother just finished a general, associates level degree in automotive tech. I think he wants to go back for motorcycle tech. Prob. pretty similar in principle.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Unfortunately this is true. Unless you go into business for yourself, the pay is lousy!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If you are going to pay good money to attend college, study something you will be able to 1) make decent pay in so you can pay your bills and 2) can't be exported overseas. Motorcycle repair is largely seasonal and the pay isn't that good. If you are interested in motorcycle repair just get shop manual and a old bike to fix up. Save your college money for study of skills that will always be in demand in the job market, and can't be easily gained outside of college.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I was looking into schools like that and realized it's not a great idea. Like it was said, mechanics make crappy money and the schools are expensive as hell. I think MMI was over $20k but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
bugeyed said:
If you are going to pay good money to attend college, study something you will be able to 1) make decent pay in so you can pay your bills and 2) can't be exported overseas. Motorcycle repair is largely seasonal and the pay isn't that good. If you are interested in motorcycle repair just get shop manual and a old bike to fix up. Save your college money for study of skills that will always be in demand in the job market, and can't be easily gained outside of college.
i agree. if you want to learn about motorcycles, get an old one. if you want to go to college and be a mechanic, go aviation. 50k+ yr. if you want info on aviation maintanance, pm me. i've been a helicopter mechanic for almost 6 years now.

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
bugeyed said:
+1

Think of the debt and the monthly payments on it. You better have a good paying, reliable, job to keep up with them.

You can get a four year Bachelors degree in something sought after for very little debt (the feds want you educated) -- you just have to put the time and work in.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would like to go to school for this but on the other hand i would like a job that i can do that invovles computers. but if i do go to school for this when i graduate i would have the ability to work on bikes, personal watercraft, and also atvs. and i found a place that would give me a job and start me out at 50,000 a year. but your opinions are still greatly appreciated and would love to keep them coming so that i can make my final decision in the end and hopefully make the right decision that will get me the job that i want once i graduate from the college that i am going to as of right now.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
50k a year is not that much.... expecially when you have 75k in student/cycle/college drinking debt outstanding when you graduate...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am attending college right now and should (cross my fingers) be graduating next May. I hate my major...I don't want to do anything with my degree. I say if you would be happy doing that, then do it!!! I have interned 5 times and every time I was reminded that I chose the wrong major. Think about going to work everyday hating what you do...I just don't think that it is worth it; of course I am young though. But that is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
243 Posts
College and Tech go together like Ninja 250 and Wheelies. Save your money. Get a job at a bike shop and you'll learn the serious aplicable parts of motorcycle repair. Then, when you're ready, take that 20k for school, and go buy tools, and set up business. My dealer charges $65 for an oil change. Management takes a big chunk and the tech gets paid $11 per hour. If you were keeping that all yourself, you're set to go. Once you got some more $$ saved up, set up shop sommewhere. If you do it right, once your shop is set up, you take that big cut out of the $65 oil change and pay some idiot kid $11 an hour to do your oil changes.

My point is, going to college and working for someone else sucks. Get out and do it on your own. It's not as dificult as you may think, you just have to sacrafice a little at first and then (if you do it right) things will start rolling right.

:dblthumb

·
Registered
787 Posts
Or you can do like me and go to med school. Start pay for any doctor is about 120k but if you specialize, you can be making up to 800-900k for some specialized surgeons.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
speedtuners said:
I've heard they don't make shit for pay. I think a guy at the local suzuki shop makes 27K a year.
Like you said. If you get into the whole Motorcycle game, it's a career you choose out of love and you don't do it for the money because financially
speaking there is not allot of money to be made in that field. It comes down the the age old question- Do I want do something they will not make me wealthy but I will be happy each morning when you get up to go to work or the road more traveled ( myself included ) where you look for the money and forfeit the thought of getting paid for doing something you love. Only you know the answer to that. Either way good luck with what ever path you choose. May the swartz be with you.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I actually talked about a career change a couple months ago with my wife and wanted to go to AMI or the like, until I realized I would take a massive pay cut, massive along the lines of minus 60-65k a year. I will do the bike thing in my free time but until I win the lottery I will keep doing the engineering thing.

Also to echo another post, go aviation. There is a lot of money there. Its volatile but, hey what profession isnt these days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts