Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my co workers wrecked his brand new 04 GSX-R 600 the same day he got it.

I didn't know him that well, but he got a good deal on it, with there new 99 a month for 60 months thing they have going on, which is making me think about getting one.

But he wrecked it the same day he got it. From what i heard he didn't total the bike but its messed up for sure. Said he ran it into a light pole ( i think coming out of a turn)?? and he was a little banged up.

From what i know he wasn't wearing any gear, which i thought was stupid as hell. not even a HELMET. As far as anything else i don't know.

It was the 1st bike he has ever ridden and he didn't even have insurance or a damn license.

He also almost let my friend ride it, but didn't beacuse some other people there would want to ride it if he did. My friend also said when he left ridding the bike the back was shaking and said it didn't seem like he had any balance. This guy had to have atleast weighted 300 pounds though.

BTW does anyone know anything about the 04 GSX-R 600? Like performance wise and how they compare to others?

·
Registered
268 Posts
most people would say this guy is an idiot.

I'd say that he was just uninformed, and that sucks because it almost cost him his life.

The new gix6 isn't that much different then any other 2000 sportbike peformance wise, thats not what made the difference, inexperience is.

I think that it's too bad that it's legal for somebody with no experience to buy something with that much power, gives us all a bad name. Hell, my own girlfriend won't even get on my bike because she hears about so many guys dieing on sportbikes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i can't even beleive he was ridding it around on the street already the 1st day he got it.

Do you think he would have been ok if he learned to ride it in the parking lot for a few weeks untell he took it to the street?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Poster child for MSF and starting small. Would he have been OK if he had started out in a parking lot for a few weeks? Are there poles in the parking lot? Sounds like what he really needed was someone to tell him how these things work and convinced him to wear gear, learn how to ride, take it easy, etc. Would he have listened?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i think he should have taken the MSF course and atleast read up on things before even thinking about getting a bike, but its his loss.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its sad that to hear that a brand new sportbike like that didn't even get to see a full day before it was wreaked. He really should have practiced for a while before he got on the street.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fabian said:
Would u drive a car without any experience?
well haha yea as a matter of fact but i would atleast practice 1st, but i know a few girls that do, damn are they bad drivers :D . but as a matter of fact when i started learning to drive and my dad asked me if i wanted to go drive on the street not and get out of the parking lot i told him no haha.

but i think that ridding a bike takes far more skill then driving a car does.

it must suck paying for something you didn't get to ride for a full day let alone might ever ride again.

·
Believe It or Not........
5,339 Posts
Magic8 said:
well haha yea as a matter of fact but i would atleast practice 1st, but i know a few girls that do, damn are they bad drivers :D . but as a matter of fact when i started learning to drive and my dad asked me if i wanted to go drive on the street not and get out of the parking lot i told him no haha.

but i think that ridding a bike takes far more skill then driving a car does.

it must suck paying for something you didn't get to ride for a full day let alone might ever ride again.
Driving is a life and death activity! We take it for granted but we need to realize that we can affect tons of people every time we crank up any vehicle! Don't wanna get too preachy but I try to remember that when I start getting careless behind the wheel or handle bars.

Damn, I'm getting old!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend. It's too bad so many people have to learn the hard way. Hopefully he does learn something. At least to practice first.

(by the way, tell him Suzuki is calling wanting their payment of $8500, cash, check or money order :spank )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fabian said:
Would u drive a car without any experience?
i was starting to say yes but then i figured drivers ed could be considered practice. drivers ed is mandatory in illinois, kinda pissed me off that all my cousin had to do was take the tests (he is from Kentucky) and i had to take a whole damn class. o well

·
Banned
245 Posts
12 year old kid in chicago would say no. Hes stolen 5? cars and now hes in detention. His mom is hot but a bad parent.

You can take MSF and still wreck a bike.

Yes, practicing in the parking lot would have helped him but personality is what figures if your gonna wreck.

How did i become a pro, well, i played hours and hours of Segas first version of Hang on. :twofinger

·
Registered
177 Posts
practicing would help....MSF would be great....and not buying a GSXR 600 new as his first bike would have been even better

·
Registered
128 Posts
sounds like he learned a very valubale lesson, never do something u dont know how to...without training that is...plus he owes the motorcycle angels one big THANK YOU, for not giving him a one way ticket to a world of hurt or the flight of death....

·
Registered
128 Posts
sounds like he learned a very valuable lesson, never do something u dont know how to...without training that is...plus he owes the motorcycle angels one big THANK YOU, for not giving him a one way ticket to the world of hurt or a seat on the flight of death....

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
This sounds firmiliar. My buddy i ride with was telling me about his friend. He bought a new '04 gixxer 750 for his first bike. People did warn him not to get it, but he stil did. The same day he bought it, he wrecked it. To make matters worse, he was on his way home to show his parents and thats when he wrecked it. The bike had something like 8 miles on it! I heard the front came up on him and he paniced, and just grabbed a shit load of throttle and put him on his ass. He was ok, only thing i heard was that he didnt have gloves on so his hands were messed up.

I was at that same dealership he bought the bike at with a friend who was lookin for a new bike, we look out the window to find a kid bending over checking out his new 04 gixxer 1000. Then i see a couple guys run over to it....i ask one of the guys who works there what happened. He said that the kid just bought the bike last week, it was his first bike and he just dumped it up the road. A week later i went back to the dealership cause my friend was picking up his new bike, and i seen the same gixxer in the back. Come to find out the kid dumped it again, and now is paying over $1000 to have the bike repaired.

I really think people are just mis-informed. Some are truley morons, but for the most part they are just not well informed.

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
all i can say is.. lol sucks for him!... people just need to learn that riding a bike is not about buying a brand new bike so u can show it off to ur friends and shit.. i have been racing motocross for 7 yrs. and ive been on a bike with clutch and gears and etc... im used to it.. now i just got me a 2003 GSX 600 ... i am currently taking MSF course and taking it easy on my gixxer... i was riding over to my friend house and showed him my bike and he was like damn its purdy.. he owns a 2002 R6 , completly modified.. fast bike.. well when i arrived at his house, and showed him my bike and his other friends told me to ride wheelies down the street ,.. first thing came to my head, i said "no" cause i just got the bike and im taking it easy on it, i aint gonna pull wheelies on a bike i had for at least 2 days.. lol BS..

when i first got my new gixxer.. i rode it around the neighborhood to get used to the bike and corners and speed and slowing down.. then 2 days later, i took it out on the street and got better at it..

if i were u, if u know u can handle a motorcycle, then get it.. :alky , if u dont know how to a handle a motorcycle then all i gotta say is "good luck"

bahahahaha

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am glad he is OK...And I am glad he didnt have insurance, maybe my rates wont go up because of another BAD CHOICE!!!!!!!!

ERIC
RUSSO-RACING

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i have an update on the crash and what happened.

How he wrecked was that he was ridding in a turn and the front wheel hit a pothole and the front started shaking so he said he leaned forward which he should have leaned back and then he hit a city tity and it kicked the back end out, then he went down.

He is now paying 2k to get the bike fixed and he is stupid as hell. My friend was telling me hes thinking about putting nos on it when he gets it back :dunno.

I would of thought he would have learned something from this.

I myself was thinking about getting an 04 GSX-R 600 my self to but idk. I'm going to take the MSF course and depending on how good i do on that im going to think about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts