Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, CMRA may not be big name like WERA or CSS as far as club racing goes, but this was really a unique event that is leaving me killing myself from not getting my license yet and out to it. For those of you wondering what us Texas boys like to do as far as racing, I'll add a little video at the end that you can check out. CMRA has produced riders such as Ben Spies, Nicky Hayden, Colin Edwards, among others.

What was very unique about this event (other than the apparent 30mph cross winds blowing dust on the track causing at least 20 crashes in just one turn alone), was who was there and the different event they offered. Endurance racing is not a new thing to the CMRA, but at Texas World this year they were endurancing for 8 hours! 4 riders, 8 hours of straight racing per team. Although the top two common teams did prevail (Village Idiots, and 212Decals Team), many members of the CMRA got a unique experience: to race against Blake Young, Kevin Schwantz, and Britt Turkington who all partnered up with another CMRA local.

This very professional level team didn't do take first, second, or even third. Many people there reported that they were just out there having fun and not really in it to win it.

And that, my friends, is why I'm kicking myself for not having gotten my race license yet. And, as promised, here you go, this was from the open superbike sprint race. Danny Kelsey is the pilot of the bike with the camera, and that grunt you hear behind him is Ty Howard on his KTM RC-8RR.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It isn't very nice, but that's what we get used to down here. I went and rode NOLA and it was so smooth, it was hard to go fast at first because the bike felt weird haha.

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
That track surface looks absolutely terrifying.
It's bumpy, but nothing scary. I've ridden on it before, it's a fun track.

Ty Howard and his KTM... That's a tuff guy to beat. Hell of a racer and that monster of a V-twin is a pain in the ass to race against with a inline 4. That was a hell of a race though! Good video! Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep bumpy, not terrifying unless you are used to super smooth tracks, then it may take some getting used to :p

Definitely, but Danny Kelsey and Brandt Dillon are certainly giving him a run for his money this year! Will Zamora is another one to look out for, he is just a Rookie Expert, but definitely has some huge potential. It was a great race, I feel as if too often we sensationalize the professionals and ignore the top club racers that could easily hang with them as well.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Awesomeness. Last year we had a couple of pros (Jake Zemke & Jordan Imrie) that came up/down to MN for a CRA weekend or two at BIR. Always fun to see when the locals hang and/or beat the professionals. Also good for me because thier times showed me what an 848 is really capable of on this course by a couple of guys who don't visit Brainerd too often.

GET YO' LICENSE, SON! :)

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Working on it, I may have it before our next round which is at my favorite track: Eagles Canyon, especially since an endurance team is currently in the talks with some friends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts