Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still have my stock clutch but looking to replace it with something a little bit better, however dont' want to spend the money for a slipper clutch. Anyone tried different clutchs and what did they think of them. I have a 2005 R6.

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
why? How is yours deficient?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing really wrong with the one I have but I am doing track days so it would be nice to have something a little more resistent to heat and fade.

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
Maybe your clutch plates are just worn and need to be replaced. :shrug..

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
Here's the deal with clutches: whether you're drag racing or not, roadracing, whatever. Always go with OEM. Aftermarket stuff never seems to last as long, work as well, etc.

Some folks did okay with older bikes and aftermarket slippers, but that's basket and pressureplate matched to ramp, throwout, fibers and steels.

The OEM fibers and steels should last a really long time. If you're worried about it, disassemble your clutch - it's pretty easy to do (don't overtighten the bolts on the springs putting it back together). Look at the condition of the first couple of fibers and steels - I bet you can hardly tell they're scuffed. I also bet you don't destroy the gasket. When you're happy with the condition of the plates, button it back up.

FWIW, it took me 20 minutes to overhaul the clutch in my YZ-F (motocrosser) two weeks ago. That was with replacing the throwout rod, bearing, ball, boss/judder spring, first plate. It might take a first-time guy an hour, maybe an hour and a half.

OEM fibers/steels probably will run you around $100 to replace if they are burnt.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
With something like 15,000 race miles (though I'm purely guessing here) on 3 different race bikes (none were internally modified) I've never replaced a clutch ever. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts