Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
As of recently at red lights I get a rattling sound If I'm in neutral.
If I pull in the clutch it goes away.

Any of you experience this?
Anyone know what causes this?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
If you did a search before posting you'd find a post I made about how the bike technicians at my shop told me it's completely normal.

And American Beer sucks, especially Bud. Blech. =)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Precisely what Binary Jay said(except for the beer part... all beers suck!!!).

Our gearbox works with discs.. and the noise you hear is the discs running loose, when the clutch is released and no gear is shifted. In some sport cars(with sequential gearboxes) you will hear something similar.... at least if you have a normal gearbox.. not the lazy-dude-wanna-be-a-driver(automatic) gearbox! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thinking it was the plates rattling too, but if i go slow enough on a quiet street in 1st gear, i can here the same noise. Just like when it's in neutral, pull the clutch in, and it goes away. As soon as u let it out the noise comes back and this is all IN gear.

The clutch springs put tension on the clutch plates in order to engauge the clutch. When the clutch lever is pulled, tension is released and the clutch plates disengauge. All of this means when the clutch lever is pulled and the clutch disengauges, the plates are free floating, and this is when the noise goes away. It seems weird to think the clutch makes noise when its engauged. This usually indicates a problem.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
mr. sharty pants said:
I was thinking it was the plates rattling too, but if i go slow enough on a quiet street in 1st gear, i can here the same noise. Just like when it's in neutral, pull the clutch in, and it goes away. As soon as u let it out the noise comes back and this is all IN gear.

The clutch springs put tension on the clutch plates in order to engauge the clutch. When the clutch lever is pulled, tension is released and the clutch plates disengauge. All of this means when the clutch lever is pulled and the clutch disengauges, the plates are free floating, and this is when the noise goes away. It seems weird to think the clutch makes noise when its engauged. This usually indicates a problem.

Wait till you hear a "dry" clutch. :D Both of my BMWs also exhibited this trait.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
pigrat said:
Its a good thing hopefully the unwise will mistake the noise and ask if our bikes a ducati...

Will not happen. The ducati dry clutch is MUCH louder than the Yamaha. The 800 S2R has a nice hydraulic actuated wet slipper clutch. One less cable to worry about:banana

Now if we could just get an elctronic throttle, like the Mini has...

·
Registered
819 Posts
rennsport said:
Will not happen. The ducati dry clutch is MUCH louder than the Yamaha. The 800 S2R has a nice hydraulic actuated wet slipper clutch. One less cable to worry about:banana

Now if we could just get an elctronic throttle, like the Mini has...

dam didnt you see the sarcasm that was posted...:neener

looks like we will just have to let them think it is a BMW then...:boink

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
looks like we will just have to let them think it is a BMW then...:boink[/QUOTE said:
Yeah, so I can tell them, "No its' not a BMW. It is much better, at half the price." :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Completely on topic, in response to this... I love Bass Ale and nothing else.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Bass Man said:
As we are so on subject.......

Are you serious......... http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=317706

Well I would like to see it done. Mr. Turbo seems to focus on Suzuki and Kawasaki. Now the kaw is fine but, the Suzuki Bandit is getting long in the tooth and I would rather do this mod to a modern bike.

AN FJR with a turbo, now that would be even better.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Binary Jay said:
If you did a search before posting you'd find a post I made about how the bike technicians at my shop told me it's completely normal.

Bud is disgusting. It's Guinness for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts