Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like i'm having never ending problems here.
I just replaced my fuel pump (see this thread: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=285372)

Now it runs fine but my clutch will not disengage. It worked fine before my bike wouldn't start/run because of the bad fuel pump. So here is what I did:
As the pump was failing and my bike would keep shutting off, I had the choke up the whole way to keep it running, eventually it got to the point where it wouldn't run at all.

Would having the choke on like that allow gas to get into my oil? (oil level seems higher, and I think I can smell gas. Manual says this is a cause of the clutch not disengaging) BTW, I checked the clutch cable, that is not the problem.

If that is how the gas got into my oil (if it is I would appreciate anyone who could give the details of how this happens), could it have caused any damage to the engine or anything else? I had it running on the stand for maybe 10-15 mins after changing the fuel pump.

If I change the oil and filter should I be ok, or are there other things I must do?

My bike is a 1998 Honda f3.

Thanks,
Nate

·
Registered
297 Posts
are u sure that the fuel pump was the problem before? when u turn on the key but not start the bike u WILL hear the fuel pump, either click, click, or a whine.
if the fuel pump is fried then u would not be able to get fuel into the engine at all. no matter what the choke is at. maybe u had a plugged fuel filter? also maybe the vent tube on the tank is plugged. if the bike runs then has trouble staying running after a short time or starts to sputter, open the gas tank cap. did u hear a big pull of vacuum? if so plugged vent tube, with the choke on it would foul your plugs before too long, check those. If fuel is in the crank case then maybe have a float stuck and the overflow tube on the carbs is plugged putting the gas into the heads then down into the crankcase, providing that it has carbs and not fuel injected. these are just ideas tho. good luck
Michael

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Yeah i'm pretty sure the pump was the problem. I took the tank off and there was a good flow of gas through the filter. Plus I didn't clean or change the filter since then.

Don't think it was the vent tube, that looked fine....I mean, I changed the pump and it worked...if it was anything else it still would be busted, right? Before I changed the pump I wasn't able to start it even for a few seconds, no gas getting there whatsoever.

I have plugs ordered, they should be here in a few days.

My biggest problem though is that my clutch will not disengage. Should I try letting some oil out and see if that fixes the clutch problem? and then keep an eye on the oil lever for a few days?

Will running it with gas in the oil for a few hundred miles cause any damage?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
changed the oil, that seems to have fixed the clutch problem. But now I am back to where I started. Tried to take the bike down the street and it died above 3K RPMs. I'll check the plugs tomorrow, if that doesn't do the job guess I'll just have to have it looked at by the shop....

·
Registered
297 Posts
nsgood82 said:
changed the oil, that seems to have fixed the clutch problem. But now I am back to where I started. Tried to take the bike down the street and it died above 3K RPMs. I'll check the plugs tomorrow, if that doesn't do the job guess I'll just have to have it looked at by the shop....
is your bike carbed or FI?
if it is carbs sounds like your idle jets are ok but your other jets are plugged.
You could TRY to put some good carb cleaner in with your gas but it probably needs to have the carbs out and clean the jets tho.
later and again good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
you've got a stuck float. when they stick open it allows gas to continually drain into the cylinders which leaks past the rings and enters the crankcase. you can either try tapping the float bowls and run some carb cleaner or you're better off removing them and look inside to see which one is stuck and thoroughly clean them all. You MUST do a few oil changes back to back to get all the gas out. If you leave any in there it will break down the oil and do damage to the internals. If you have any questions, [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts