Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but could not find anything, and I will probably get flamed on this one but here goes.............

I have a strange noise coming from my clutch when I am trying to launch from a dead stop. When I feather the clutch out with the RPM's up, the clutch makes a loud squeal noise as I release, at first I thought the tire was breaking loose, until it did, that is not the noise. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just the clutch slipping? Is it a concern?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not that high, maybe 7-8 grand.........

oh also, this is not a normal start, normally the bike works A-1, this happens when I am trying to semi-launch it, take off quick, but not too quick as to pop up or break loose............

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, genuine Yamalube oil and filter...........

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have the same whinning noise under those conditions. It sounds to me like something is free-wheeling in there for a second or two. (Perhaps the clutch plates are still partially slipping during that short period - enough to drive the wheel, but not enough to be fully engaged yet.)

I am guessing it is normal, although not healthy.

Anybody have any theories?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have the standard 3/8" of free play on the lever before the clutch cable engages. Once engaged, the slip zone starts after another 1/4" of pull, and the slip zone is a 1/4" of travel. Then I have another 3/4" of surplus.

Under sensible use, the clutch seems to behave properly. This phenomenon only occurs when high rev / clutch slip or drop. (I have only done this about 4 times in the bikes history.)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
exactly, thanks skeleton, that is exactly what is happening, it is just a phenomenon I have not experienced on other bikes, my play is set up as per my manual, there is no problem there, and it also performs perfectly under all other normal driving conditions, but it is not a pleasant sound, and I now avoid doing it, anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Welp, I just attempted a 8k rpm take off. I felt some clutch slippage on mine at roll on after the full clutch engagement. (No sound, though)

I attempted a 3k rpm take off, I was looking at the sky at roll on after engagement.

Lesson learned: Let the clutch bite first then roll on the throttle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we will see what happens after the next oil change, will switch oils and see if that makes a difference, thanks all..........

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I've always assumed that I've been making my rear tire slip, it certainly sounds like that, but how did you verify that's not what's happening... I tend to look ahead of me when I take off and not at the ground behind me.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Yeah, dollar signs float around my mind whenever I hear it... but it sure makes the bike sound powerful anyway. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well on purpose make the tire spin, will not make the same noise. But as cheesy as this is I had my wife watch to see if the tire broke loose, and that was a negative.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
My dealer put the oil in as part of the initial service and I haven't ridden it to the point of needing another change so I have no idea what kind of oil they've put in there - but I'm switching to Mobil 1 in a couple thousand more km.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This squeeking noise sounds as if the clutchcage isn't fixed.
I've experienced this only directly after starting and going uphill.

Did anybody contact his dealer with that issue?

It's difficult to show the dealer the phenomen if the engine
is driven/heated.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

gerd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts