Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Proper Riding Technique

Folks I just bought a 2005 Ninja 500R and have ridden it 3 days so far, putting about 100mi on. The first two days (being my first street motorcycle), I was having some issues shifting 100% properly. Today, I was much better at easing the clutch out to prevent the bike from jerking too much on me.

My questions are simple: Could I have done any damage to the clutch/tranny/engine by not shifting the bike very smoothly? Is it common to have trouble the first few days with learning proper shifting technique?

I certainly haven't overrev'd the engine by downshifting or missed a gear. Real problem has been not giving it enough gas when letting the clutch out...

Thanks for any advice/help/smacking me around for thinking foolishly!

:leghump

·
Procrastinator
36 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it, bike 'boxes are pretty tough. Just make sure to use all of the gears, but avoid labouring it in too high a gear, and she'll be right.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man. I took it out again tonight and got better at shifting. I think I'm trying to shift too fast and not take things slow. I also think I just don't know where the clutch grabs exactly. So it'll take some practice, but i"m sure I can get it right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How do you like the new 500R? I haven't bought a bike yet, and definitly thinking a ninja 500 is what I want to go with, but only seen a few up close in person so far... and not really talked to anyone who owned one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Millenix I got my ninja 500 a few weeks ago and I love it, best thing I've ever done, and it's got enough power to get you out (and into) trouble but is forgiving enough to let you mess up and still stay upright and the throttle is pretty smooth I don't know where you are in texas but I'm in dfw so if you're near when you pick up that bike send me a pm and we'll hook up and tool around the neighborhood. LOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely a great bike! Too bad my noob ass has trouble shifting it since I'm new to road bikes. Is it normal to be a stupid shifter your first week out?

Have a great time with that bike. I notice the bike has more than enough power for me, so have at it! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts