Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a new clutch lever put on my bike and now there is too much play when I squeeze it. Starting the bike is now a chore because it's on so loose-- I can't squeeze it anymore, I have to sort-of yank it.

I've looked around but I can't figure out how to tighten it down where there isn't so much play.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...not only is there free-play, but the lever itself is loose in it's housing; i can grab it and move it somewhat freely in place.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
sure it's the proper lever?
to take the slack out... and I am guessing... there is an adjustment at the bottom of the clutch cable, right side, take some slack there first. the rest you can take out with the wheel adjuster near the lever. Should be outlined in your owners manual.

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the manual-- no help there. And it is the correct lever; I picked it out of the store's manual and they confirmed. I had them put it in b/c I just didn't know how.

The trouble is, I had to trailer my bike 50 miles to that shop to get this done, so I can't just sprint up the road and ask for help.

There is a big locknut that spins into the lever. The clutch cable runs through this locknut. I've twisted it in both directions-- neither way seems to help.

It almost feels like whatever holds the lever in place is loose since I can wiggle it without any resistance where it sits.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
hmm

ok
you loosen the big knurled wheel.. that will allow you to turn the smaller one. you want to "back it out" (that will tighten the cable) when you have it where it feels OK, you tighten the big knurled wheel back in (that acts as the lock nut).

if it's tons of slack though, you need to take some up on the other end, top right side of the engine case (above your right foot peg kind of)

I called in the Daytona 650 cavalry to help out with specifics.

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm.... I'm really not sure what you meant by "small one". All I can see is the big knurled nut. It's the only thing I've noticed that will make any kind of adjustment.

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would it help if I took and posted some pictures?

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link. I'll go try to tinker with it...

·
bite the wax tadpole
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing.

It's not that it's too tight, it's way too loose! I've got to get it tightened because I'm afraid it'll wear the clutch down faster than normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts