Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud owner of a new 04 R1. I have about 700 miles on the bike and I noticed that the clutch doesn't always engage

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If i am in gear and i start the bike with the clutch handle in, the bike should start normal but the bike jumps like I don't have the clutch engaged

·
Registered
981 Posts
check the linkage. if thats fine, take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it cuz it should be under warranty if its an 04

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds like a little clutch drag - Plates 'dragging' a little in the cold oil.

You can comfortably hold the bike back with your legs/feet, right???

Doesn't do that when the bike's warm, right???

As long as that's the case, IMHO, it isn't a big deal at all if the clutch otherwise operates normally. Just start the bike in neutral.

Scott :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
To me it seems your problem is that you bought a Yamaha. They seem to have a history of weak and troubled clutches, that I thought they would have taken care of by '04, but I guess not.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah and don't get too cocky with 2nd gear either.. Haha disregard my post about the 03 R1 I'm glad I'm getting a Honda.

·
Registered
681 Posts
READ your owners manual on clutch adjustment.......I hope this isn't your first bike........

·
Registered
6 Posts
The clutch is not disengaging. The cluches come from the factory with something on them that causes them to stick together, since the clutch pak is high in the engine it's not in the oil unless the motor is running. Mine done it for the first 1200 miles. If you take it to the dealer they will just take it out clean the plates and soak them in oil. It will also stop on it's own if you just deal with it for a little while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've also heard of people zip tying the clutch in and laying the bike on it's side for 24 hours so the plates are submerged. I just rode mine till it quit. 1992 miles now and it is perfect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts