Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bike is a 2008 zx10r and my probolem is when I pull my clutch lever in it does not spring back out. Where can the problem be?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Have a trace around see if there is a pinch point . Remove it and make sure it slides in its sleeve nice and smoothly . Do you have a can of wd40 ?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
idk that's kinda weird. even if the cable was pinched I think the springs would be strong enough to bring the lever back

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You would think . I am just going around all the obvious as the OP is a bit scarce on info . so I am trying to rule out the cable/lever as the problem .
OP You can cut straight to the mustard and open up the cases if you want to . See if there is push rod or spring issues inside .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry not trying to be vague. Is the spring on the lever our the case? The one on the case doesn't move freely as well. Not sure why.

My next question was. Whatis recomended to spray into the cable, down the shield. Silicone or wd40 ect.

·
Spiffy...
2,345 Posts
Here ya go; remove both ends of the cable, if possible, and see if it slides and moves nicely. More than likely, that is your problem. Also, in my experience, if you the cable has seized, don't bother with trying to loosen it with solvents and lubricants; just get a new one.

Most of the replies are pointing towards a pinch or seizure of the cable, because what provides the force to return it are the clutch springs. That would be a major issue if they were not providing any force, and by far what is likely is they are, but the cable is mucked up, kinked, pinched or something of that nature. Could even be the perch is pinching the lever. Could be a fray in the cable.

To answer your question, there may be a small external spring (there is on my Ninja), but what provides the overwhelming amount of tension are the actual clutch springs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here ya go; remove both ends of the cable, if possible, and see if it slides and moves nicely. More than likely, that is your problem. Also, in my experience, if you the cable has seized, don't bother with trying to loosen it with solvents and lubricants; just get a new one.

Most of the replies are pointing towards a pinch or seizure of the cable, because what provides the force to return it are the clutch springs. That would be a major issue if they were not providing any force, and by far what is likely is they are, but the cable is mucked up, kinked, pinched or something of that nature. Could even be the perch is pinching the lever. Could be a fray in the cable.

To answer your question, there may be a small external spring (there is on my Ninja), but what provides the overwhelming amount of tension are the actual clutch springs.

thanks i'[ll try that

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its 3 am here and i decided to take a look at the bike.

So it 'seems' that the rod that goes into the transmission is sticking.

I unhooked the cable and turned it by hand. it felt kinda sticky but not as bad. The cable was not easy to move back and forth. but it wasn't hard either. I believe combined it makes my problem.

now i took the rod out by just pulling it strait out. there are couple nicks on the bottom where the notch is. I hope you can see in the pictures. also the top part has wear from the bearings.

what i want to try is to lube the rod (haha.) and see if that helps. what should i use to do such a thing?

hope the pictures came out took them with my phone.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
so ok let me see if i can explain it.

I took off both ends of the cable. it seems ok.

I put the end back on to the push rod. and it returns ok.

I took a video of removing the push rod and found some nicks in it as shown in the pictures below.

08 zx10r clutch cable return problems removal of the push rod. - YouTube

there are tons of pictures to try and capture the details.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
What stage are you at now ? Nothing looks badly worn so far . It seemed to return better once the cable was disconnected . Have you lubed up or bought a new cable ?

·
the joke is in your hand
8,590 Posts
use a real cable lube. in my experience they work a lot better than any kind of stuff like wd-40 etc.

some chain lubes can be used on cables too.

ps, I can't believe a ZX-10 has a cable for the clutch.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
First off, You should'nt be able to remove that rod without removing the clutch cover. It's usually attached to the pressure plate puller that disengages the clutch. Second, the clutch should not be able to be operated by hand like I saw in the video. I'm guessing that you have some type of internal damage to the clutch.
I don't know what your mechanical skill level is, but you'll have to remove the clutch cover and see what's happening inside it. Like I said above, I think you have some type of clutch issue. Whether it's a blown clutch, broken clutch spring or something else... there's definitely a problem!
Pull that cover and let us know what you have found. I'm guessing that the knicks you found on that rod will have a better explanation once it's apart. ;)

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
First off, You should'nt be able to remove that rod without removing the clutch cover. It's usually attached to the pressure plate puller that disengages the clutch. Second, the clutch should not be able to be operated by hand like I saw in the video. I'm guessing that you have some type of internal damage to the clutch.
I don't know what your mechanical skill level is, but you'll have to remove the clutch cover and see what's happening inside it. Like I said above, I think you have some type of clutch issue. Whether it's a blown clutch, broken clutch spring or something else... there's definitely a problem!
Pull that cover and let us know what you have found. I'm guessing that the knicks you found on that rod will have a better explanation once it's apart. ;)
yup. being able actuate the clutch at the clutch with one finger is a bad thing

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm a rip into it soon. I wish I knew what it was supposed to look like to begin with tho. And aftet reading the replies I checked my r1 clutch rod with my finger. I couldn't budge it. Some thing is wrong maybe the spring at least. Hope it doesn't cost too much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a rip into it soon. I wish I knew what it was supposed to look like to begin with tho. And aftet reading the replies I checked my r1 clutch rod with my finger. I couldn't budge it. Some thing is wrong maybe the spring at least. Hope it doesn't cost too much.
Did u ever fix ur problem cause I’m having same issues with mine my spring is springing back help me out wut did u end finding out u can tech at 8429441510

1 - 19 of 19 Posts