Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i put the bike into first gear from neutral it seems to clunk. is this normal? i have the clutch pulled back all the way. it just doesnt sound right.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
don't worry about it, it's normal.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You can alleviate this some by pushing off before you snick it into gear. Once the output shaft is turning things aren't quite so violent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is normal. Be careful, a Gixxer 750 is not an easy bike to ride for a new rider especially over 10K RPM.

Regards,

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Yep, some amount of klunk and even a slight lurch is normal. Surprisingly (to me anyway), my current bike lurches a tiny bit once warmed up, but not when cold.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is normal. Be careful, a Gixxer 750 is not an easy bike to ride for a new rider especially over 10K RPM.

Regards,
so ive been told. only had it at 10k rpm's once in 3rd gear, on a long strait-away. i guessing it is a bit jerky? thanks for the tid bit. if you have any more please advise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im probable too new to be asking this question but. are there tracks in the bay area that have "track-days" if so what do they cost? how much experiece should one have b4 attending a track day?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thunderhill is around there I believe. Your local forums should be full of info on track days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
im probable too new to be asking this question but. are there tracks in the bay area that have "track-days" if so what do they cost? how much experiece should one have b4 attending a track day?
Infineon Raceway (which you will also hear called "Sears Point") is in Sonoma and is an awesome track. I've only done testing there in cars and understand that bikes normally run a somewhat modified course, but even still there are a few spots that are pretty hairy. Seems like a place where you would be better served to have some good milage under your belt before taking it on.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Lance's group can't be beat. Start with a novice school if you can:

[email protected] - Motorcycle Track Days, Riding & Racing Schools in California, Nevada, and Utah

He runs track days at most of the local tracks. If you have at least a few thousand varied miles (preferably mountains) clocked, go for it.

Thunderhill is probably the most novice-friendly track around with few walls and lots of run-off room (not so intimidating).

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
you can probably go 100 miles any direction and find a couple of tracks in cali.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Man I know your age and whatnot but if you're having to ask this and ride a GSX-R 750 then that's a dangerous combo, PLEASE BE CAREFUL! keep your arms, and grip nice and relaxed.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My ninja zx6r "clunks" into 1st too :) so no worries

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
As everyone else has stated...It's normal.

As everyone else hasn't stated...You have a right to ride whatever bike you want to ride. Just understand your learning curve MAY BE longer than someone who starts on a smaller displacment bike. It's not "undoable" to ride a SS as your first bike...My only warning as a complete stranger to another is once you become comfortable and confident with you bike REMEMBER that you are STILL A NEW RIDER. The only thing that increase you experience is seat time and you can't rush that. Confidence will cause you to do things that you are not necessarily skilled to do on your bike as you MAY THINK YOU ARE B/C YOUR CONFIDENCE LEVEL IS UP....other than that, HAPPY TRAILS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As everyone else has stated...It's normal.

As everyone else hasn't stated...You have a right to ride whatever bike you want to ride. Just understand your learning curve MAY BE longer than someone who starts on a smaller displacment bike. It's not "undoable" to ride a SS as your first bike...My only warning as a complete stranger to another is once you become comfortable and confident with you bike REMEMBER that you are STILL A NEW RIDER. The only thing that increase you experience is seat time and you can't rush that. Confidence will cause you to do things that you are not necessarily skilled to do on your bike as you MAY THINK YOU ARE B/C YOUR CONFIDENCE LEVEL IS UP....other than that, HAPPY TRAILS.
i have to agree with all that you have said. confidence has given me a false sense of comfort. still looking for a "riding mentor". why is the learning curve slower with a SS bike vs a smaller bike?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
i have to agree with all that you have said. confidence has given me a false sense of comfort. still looking for a "riding mentor". why is the learning curve slower with a SS bike vs a smaller bike?
All of your control inputs are magnified and acted upon immediately by your bike. A 500 doesn't have the power, brakes, steering geometry, sharpness, and responsiveness of your bike. It's much more forgiving of ham-fisted inputs which result from incomplete muscle memory.

Check your PM's.

·
Registered
417 Posts
a 750cc is a lot less forgiving when it comes to making corrections at higher speeds than lets say a 250 or 500cc and plus its a SS.. higher hp and torque..so you have to ride slower on a fast bike in order to compensate for mistake where as you can ride faster on a slower bike and make the same corrections.. like someone once said (dont remember who..bah dont matter).. its better to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i truely appreciate all of your comments and advise. i hope i dont find out why you guys are concerned for me learning on a gsxr750. i think the best thing i could do is find a ridding mentor. not sure how to find one , but i will.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts