Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Yeah Nitro this really isn't the place for unbiased political advice. But here's something you could do: make a list of the issues you care about most (abortion, same sex marriage, gun control, etc) and tell us how you feel about each one. That should help in determining which party, if any, you agree most with.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
18,633 Posts
I love this section...This kid asks an honest question and nobody really gives him an honest answer...

The majority of people in this section take a rigid stand in their beliefs...They post in here all day and night with their unwavering statements....And here is an open mind wanting to be filled with good info, and no ones really giving him the info he's looking for...And some of you have good info to give...

I am no politics major in any way...But here's what little I think I know...Anyone out there feel free to correct me...

Republicans are more of a conservative party...And they love the military...

Dems are more liberal with their opinions...

Anyone please add to the above statement or discredit it...I'm sure nitro will be reading...

Side note - Do get out and vote and get your friends out there also...In my worthless opinion, the reason things never change in the direction of young people is because they don't vote...They complain about how all the rules are geared towards helping the older generation...Which is true, because they vote...Which means they make the rules...

And for those telling him to look elsewhere for advice, I don't think that's what he's looking for...I think he's just looking to get a general idea of what each party represents...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Funny story

I registered to vote the day after my birthday and when the old lady at the city-county building noticed this she about shed a tear, a tear of joy that is. Whats that tell ya?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
Don't forget the third party. Libertarian:

What is a Libertarian?



Libertarians believe that you have the right to live your life as you wish, without the government interfering -- as long as you don’t violate the rights of others. Politically, this means Libertarians favor rolling back the size and cost of government, and eliminating laws that stifle the economy and control people’s personal choices.



Are Libertarians liberal or conservative?



Libertarians are neither. Unlike liberals or conservatives, Libertarians advocate a high degree of both personal and economic liberty. For example, Libertarians agree with conservatives about freedom in economic matters, so we're in favor of lowering taxes, slashing bureaucratic regulation of business, and charitable -- rather than government -- welfare. But Libertarians also agree with liberals on personal tolerance, so we're in favor of people’s right to choose their own personal habits and lifestyles.



In a sense, Libertarians “borrow” from both sides to come up with a logical and consistent whole -- but without the exceptions and broken promises of Republican and Democratic politicians. That's why we call ourselves the Party of Principle.

from the lp.org site

and you can learn more by reading LIBERTY which is available at any bookstore with a good section of periodicals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Napalm said:
Don't forget the third party. Libertarian:
What is a Libertarian?
Libertarians believe that you have the right to live your life as you wish, without the government interfering -- as long as you don’t violate the rights of others. Politically, this means Libertarians favor rolling back the size and cost of government, and eliminating laws that stifle the economy and control people’s personal choices.
that expalins my personality more than anything i must be a libertarian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,682 Posts
poulsen said:
Come on now Jim, that isn't helping at all. But if that's the game you want to play, I'm up for it.

Nitro: Liberals don't have any morals and for all your political questions just watch Fox News.
I'm perfectly sincere. Sorry if you got your feelings hurt.
 

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Napalm said:
But that WAS a gross generalization on both parts and unrepresentative of what I've witnessed in my stint as a middle class working stiff.
Exactly, it was and I'm glad someone else recognized it too. And my feelings are just fine Jim, thanks for the concern though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,389 Posts
hybrid said:
So your saying that a failure by our school system is his fault? The kid asked a solid question and instead of teaching an individual you belittle him? Is your opinion any more important because youre educated? Last time I checked, everyone was "supposed" to be equal.

wait. isn't nitro a drop out or some shit? not the schools fault there. But to his credit he was talking about getting his GED. I think we can see what we are dealing with here if we check my signature....:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
BurnMyHeartDown said:
wait. isn't nitro a drop out or some shit? not the schools fault there. But to his credit he was talking about getting his GED. I think we can see what we are dealing with here if we check my signature....:)
:eek:nfloor :lao yeah, im a dumbass :bitchslap

not really, i just got ADD.......bad, and cant afford the prescriptions to help me cope with it.

one more excuse...i honestly was drunk when i wrote that quote in your sig :eek:nfloor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,389 Posts
Nitro:

Republicans want to give tax breaks, increase the military, and cut funding for programs like welfare.

Democrats want to increase taxes generally, downsize the military, and increase funding for things like welfare.

Those are very general, but you get the idea. Republicans are very traditional and don't really want to change. Democrats are the more progressive party of the two, but realistically it's just old white guys anyway, so they are not really so different. Here's some more off the top of my head.

Republicans are all about guns, pro-life (anti-abortion), closing borders, and stuff like that.

Democrats want more gun control, are pro-choice, want borders open, yada yada.

This is all very general, but you get the idea. Don't run down and register to vote just yet. You don't do anyone a favor by rushing in and making some random ass uninformed decision. I'm registered independent, and I vote by the issue, not the party. Look at stuff, see where your heart lies, and select whoever you think best represents your interest in that area.

I had something else, but I forgot it. oh well, fuck it.hope that helped a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,389 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
:eek:nfloor :lao yeah, im a dumbass :bitchslap

not really, i just got ADD.......bad, and cant afford the prescriptions to help me cope with it.

one more excuse...i honestly was drunk when i wrote that quote in your sig :eek:nfloor

hahaha, no worries. I just read that and I remember thinking....wtf.....and I stared at it and I was like...wow, that's signature material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
BurnMyHeartDown said:
hahaha, no worries. I just read that and I remember thinking....wtf.....and I stared at it and I was like...wow, that's signature material.
:eek:nfloor yeah, i seen it in your sig the next day and was like....i cant believe i friggen typed that, what the hell was i thinking. :eek:nfloor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,682 Posts
Napalm said:
But that WAS a gross generalization on both parts and unrepresentative of what I've witnessed in my stint as a middle class working stiff.
I'd call it a summarization. And it is exactly what I've found during my working life.

Perhaps it would be good for you to summarize what the Repubs have done for working stiffs and what the Democrats have done to hurt them. For our purposes, what they say doesn't count, OK?

I'm very willing to alter my views in the presence of other evidence. But you'll have to make a pretty compelling case. I've been following the differences since the Nixon Administration. Up until today, workers have been hurt during Republican administrations and helped during Democratic Administrations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,600 Posts
jim schmidt said:
I'd call it a summarization. And it is exactly what I've found during my working life.

Perhaps it would be good for you to summarize what the Repubs have done for working stiffs and what the Democrats have done to hurt them. For our purposes, what they say doesn't count, OK?

I'm very willing to alter my views in the presence of other evidence. But you'll have to make a pretty compelling case. I've been following the differences since the Nixon Administration. Up until today, workers have been hurt during Republican administrations and helped during Democratic Administrations.

I guess you have forgotten or were asleep during the Carter administration, when inflation and oil prices soared almost as much as interest rates.

Do you not remember 21+ % loan rates at banks and double digit prime rates and unemployment...let's see... Gold was over 800 per ounce? Got those rose colored glasses on again, I see
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Napalm said:
Don't forget the third party. Libertarian:

What is a Libertarian?



Libertarians believe that you have the right to live your life as you wish, without the government interfering -- as long as you don’t violate the rights of others. Politically, this means Libertarians favor rolling back the size and cost of government, and eliminating laws that stifle the economy and control people’s personal choices.



Are Libertarians liberal or conservative?



Libertarians are neither. Unlike liberals or conservatives, Libertarians advocate a high degree of both personal and economic liberty. For example, Libertarians agree with conservatives about freedom in economic matters, so we're in favor of lowering taxes, slashing bureaucratic regulation of business, and charitable -- rather than government -- welfare. But Libertarians also agree with liberals on personal tolerance, so we're in favor of people’s right to choose their own personal habits and lifestyles.



In a sense, Libertarians “borrow” from both sides to come up with a logical and consistent whole -- but without the exceptions and broken promises of Republican and Democratic politicians. That's why we call ourselves the Party of Principle.

from the lp.org site

and you can learn more by reading LIBERTY which is available at any bookstore with a good section of periodicals.
+1

Also... check out "What it Means to be a Libertarian" A little bit dated now but the points it makes still apply.
 

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
BurnMyHeartDown said:
Democrats want more gun control, are pro-choice, want borders open, yada yada.
What good could possibly come from opening the borders? Some of the other stances the democrats have I can understand why they feel the way they do but I just disagree. But this issue I just don't get.
 
21 - 40 of 83 Posts
Top