Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I upgraded to my first sportbike, a 98 ZX6R and im chuffed as hell with it. The bloke i bought it off never rode it so its in showroom condition, a few of my friends thought id bought a brand newie. Anyway, what was funny as anything was talking to the guy i bought it off. This guy has gone and splashed $15k on this bike (his first, never even rode a dirt bike before) then $1.5k straight up on a custom exhaust. Then wheeled it into his shed for 7 years!!!!!!!! The punchline: "yeah i was gunna buy the 9 (zx9r) but didnt because i didnt like the fairings on it." (explains the bits of fairings he didnt like). That was funny as all hell. What gave me pause was when i asked him if he thought he'd ever get another bike once his finances improved.

"Yeah maybe once i get a bit more time to ride one. The only thing id buy now though is an R1." I swear im not kidding, thats what he said.

Now is this guy a squid or what?

·
Ghost GTO
1,609 Posts
that bloke is a total squid! ya shoulda gotten some aboriginies to come and whoppin his buttocks and whatnot. Wait. That gave me pause, to think, he is maybe just a fat guy? LOL

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Quite possibly could have been. Or just uninformed about bikes. I mean, .4 litres doesn't make all that big a difference in cars, and it sounds like he NEVER really spent a lot of time on that bike.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
I notice this happens alot. I think it has more to do with these people not being informed rather then them being squids. Although, if you sit down and explain to them why it's a bad idea id be curious to know what percentage of them would still buy it anyway.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
Hey guys, so I upgraded to my first sportbike, a 98 ZX6R and im chuffed as hell with it. The bloke i bought it off never rode it so its in showroom condition, a few of my friends thought id bought a brand newie. Anyway, what was funny as anything was talking to the guy i bought it off. This guy has gone and splashed $15k on this bike (his first, never even rode a dirt bike before) then $1.5k straight up on a custom exhaust. Then wheeled it into his shed for 7 years!!!!!!!! The punchline: "yeah i was gunna buy the 9 (zx9r) but didnt because i didnt like the fairings on it." (explains the bits of fairings he didnt like). That was funny as all hell. What gave me pause was when i asked him if he thought he'd ever get another bike once his finances improved.

"Yeah maybe once i get a bit more time to ride one. The only thing id buy now though is an R1." I swear im not kidding, thats what he said.

Now is this guy a squid or what?
Is it me or do i keep running across phrases today i have never seen before in my life?

What does that mean? I take it from context clues you are happy with it, but i have to make sure... ?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Yea chuffed is a new one for me.

I am guessing you changed the tires, oils, and had a checkup done?

Dry-rotted tires are very likely, especially after sitting for 7 years.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I've got a friend locally who's here on a work visa from Sydney, Australia. Lots of interesting colloquialisms, though chuffed is a new one for me.

The accent kicks ass, too.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Inky24 said:
I notice this happens alot. I think it has more to do with these people not being informed rather then them being squids. Although, if you sit down and explain to them why it's a bad idea id be curious to know what percentage of them would still buy it anyway.
Ditto. Just ignorance to what's in store for them. Everyone around here locally recommends starting on 600s. Again, probably an ignorance issue. I would recommend anybody that says this to visit this forum, post up, get flamed and then read the stickies in that order. Then see how they feel!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Brownilus said:
Is it me or do i keep running across phrases today i have never seen before in my life?

What does that mean? I take it from context clues you are happy with it, but i have to make sure... ?
Maybe Kaiser hails from Queensland or Gold Coast (South New Wales). Anyhow............Kaiser Welcome to SBN Mate!

:beer

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Brownilus said:
You know anybody from the Caribbean out there?
Y'know, I can't say I do. I think it'd be fun to meet someone as such, though. I've found that people who've lived in other regions of the world tend to have lots of wisdom and interesting experiences to share. I know that I'm better for the time I've spent living in Japan.
[EDIT]Scratch that. I've a friend who I LANed with, with whom I have lost contact, back in San Antonio who mentioned that his family lived in the Caribbean and he visited them every year.I don't know if he was originally from the area as well, or if his parents moved before he was born, but he certainly had ties. He was also really damn good at Warcraft 3 :lol

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jammin_Johnny said:
Maybe Kaiser hails from Queensland or Gold Coast (South New Wales). Anyhow............Kaiser Welcome to SBN Mate!

:beer

Thanks mate. Im down south between Canberra and Sydney (in New South Wales) we get up to Queensland about twice a year if we can because the flights are so damn cheap nowadays.

Chuffed......yeah it means im happy with it. I dunno, it sorta means happy/proud. Im happy because i ride it everyday and its so much fun just getting where I need to go. Im proud of it because i took my time to get a good deal so now ive got a kick-ass bike with low k's for small $ :beer

And yeah had to change the tyre for rego. Dropped the oil straight away, still not sure if im confident enough to bleed the brakes and drop the coolant, i might have to take it in for an early service.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
still not sure if im confident enough to bleed the brakes and drop the coolant, i might have to take it in for an early service.
Nothing to it man, just do it yourself and save some $$$. That will only take you about a half hour at most, and you can definitely do it yourself. Post up if you don't know how, and I am sure we can explain it to you. :beer

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
Thanks mate. Im down south between Canberra and Sydney (in New South Wales) we get up to Queensland about twice a year if we can because the flights are so damn cheap nowadays.

Chuffed......yeah it means im happy with it. I dunno, it sorta means happy/proud. Im happy because i ride it everyday and its so much fun just getting where I need to go. Im proud of it because i took my time to get a good deal so now ive got a kick-ass bike with low k's for small $ :beer

And yeah had to change the tyre for rego. Dropped the oil straight away, still not sure if im confident enough to bleed the brakes and drop the coolant, i might have to take it in for an early service.

No worries Kaiser.

As for the bleed and radiator coolant drop, they are not too terribly difficult. I believe another member already made a post here on SBN about bleeding brakes. Do a search, I will search also.

Johnny

:cheers

EDIT: THREAD ON BLEEDING BRAKES FOUND
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=262170&highlight=Bleeding+Brakes

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thatd be sweet, or even just a link to a guide if there is one. Thing is, ive done bits and pieces to my car, but its a total POS so ive got the guts to tinker y'know? Will i need to take the fairings and that off for those two things?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Kaiser Soze said:
Thatd be sweet, or even just a link to a guide if there is one. Thing is, ive done bits and pieces to my car, but its a total POS so ive got the guts to tinker y'know? Will i need to take the fairings and that off for those two things?
Brakes........No cowling removal

Radiator.........Yes

Refer back to Post #14..........I placed a link in my last reply mate.

:cheers

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a bunch. Im looking at ebay tring to get hold of a service manual, might come in handy coz the Kawasaki dealer charges 100 bucks an hour for labour.

Thanks again mate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts