Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was riding home from work around 8 this morning. It had been raining most the morning. I was following a Blazer and was 3 or 4 car lengths behind. As we approached an intersection the light changed to yellow. The Blazer suddenly locked the brakes and came to a quick stop. Well, I started to brake but not anything extreme. All of a sudden the rear tire started to kick out. Next thing I know I'm going pretty much sideways. I'm thinking "Oh Sh*t" I'm going to end up sliding under this Blazer. I ended up putting both feet down and skied the bike a ways and straightened out while braking with the front brake. How the hell I pulled it out and and not end up road kill I'll never know. I don't know why I started sliding since I wasn't braking too aggressively. Only thing I can figure is maybe there was some oil on the road surface and I was unlucky enough to hit it. All I know is I'm glad to be here this morning to write this.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Maybe you were driving it like you stole it?? :lao

·
Registered
292 Posts
good thing that you didn't freeze up. I just finished reading a safty book (can't remember which one) and it suggested that you practice emergency braking at least once on every ride. It also suggested depressing the rear bike until the tire locked to gauge the amount of traction availible. I don't know if this is a good Idea, but I don't see the harm. It could definitely keep you from locking your tires.

What was your lane position behind the blazer, if you were in the center, I would bet that you hit a slick spot brought up by the rain.

Glad to hear that your still around to teach us from your experiences.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Ryce Krysp said:
. I just finished reading a safty book (can't remember which one)
:eek:nfloor
Great.. And all that knowledge from the book???????? :lao

·
Registered
341 Posts
Glad to hear that man. I have almost done the same thing on wet pavement.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tonupkid said:
Maybe you were driving it like you stole it?? :lao
If you saw me ride you would know that statement is as far from the truth as you can get. :lao I guess maybe I should use a different signature.

I usually ride in the left side of the lane but I might have been in the middle when it happened. I didn't think the road would be too slick since it had been raining for hours.

·
Registered
292 Posts
ejworthen said:
If you saw me ride you would know that statement is as far from the truth as you can get. :lao I guess maybe I should use a different signature.

I usually ride in the left side of the lane but I might have been in the middle when it happened. I didn't think the road would be too slick since it had been raining for hours.
from what I read it depends on how much it had rained...If it didn't rain for lets say two weeks it takes longer for the slick stuff to be washed away

·
Yes I actually DO ride;-)
328 Posts
ejworthen said:
I was riding home from work around 8 this morning. It had been raining most the morning. I was following a Blazer and was 3 or 4 car lengths behind. As we approached an intersection the light changed to yellow. The Blazer suddenly locked the brakes and came to a quick stop. Well, I started to brake but not anything extreme. All of a sudden the rear tire started to kick out. Next thing I know I'm going pretty much sideways. I'm thinking "Oh Sh*t" I'm going to end up sliding under this Blazer. I ended up putting both feet done and skied the bike a ways and straightened out while braking with the front brake. How the hell I pulled it out and and not end up road kill I'll never know. I don't know why I started sliding since I wasn't braking too aggressively. Only thing I can figure is maybe there was some oil on the road surface and I was unlucky enough to hit it. All I know is I'm glad to be here this morning to write this.
Wow, well I'm glad you are still around to tell us about it & that it wasn't worse than it was! I bet that woke ya up quick like. :eek:

It's good you reacted quickly and thought on your feet... lol, literally. ;) I don't know what I would have done in that situation but it probably would have had a different outcome. :(

Now... when are we going riding by French Creek? :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Good to hear you got out of it OK.
Actually it's not hard to lock up the rear on the FZ6 since it happen to me on dry pavement, and I've read a few posts from others. When it happen to me the back started to slide out also, I just released the front brake and it straightened out. Had to do it couple times. Glad I took the MSF course, and been reading various safety sites like www.msgroup.org.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad I took the MSF course also. Not so sure it helped me in this situation though. They say if you lock up the rear to keep it locked or you can highside. Just did what I thought I had to at the moment. I just got lucky more than anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts