Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so there i was...
riding down the highway headed to a friends house. it was about 80 out and i was sweating it up in my jacket and jeans. i was in the slow lane following an suv at ~2 seconds. i read a thread here on friday about covering your brake, so i was actually trying it out. all of the sudden the suv swerves off of the highway and reveals an accident just ahead of me. luckily, i saw a car a few spots up that was cocked to the side. i swerved, braked and just missed the back of another cage and didnt get hit by the one next to me. i guess he was actually paying attention. im so glad i was paying attention and riding safely, i could have ate bumper. i got off at the next exit and had a subway sandwich instead...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
That's part of the reason I like to hug the line between lanes. It gives a better view of what's ahead.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I always stay away from following tall cages too closely especially SUVs and trucks. I make sure that I can scan at least "12" seconds ahead.

·
Registered
341 Posts
04Fizzer said:
That's part of the reason I like to hug the line between lanes. It gives a better view of what's ahead.
+1

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
+1 to what 04Fizzer & segue00 said.

If I can avoid being behind a tall cage I will. I try my best to keep them from behind me as well.
I usually ride close to the line as well, freaks people out in the next lane over though. But it usually keeps the person in the next lane back far enough that if I needed to swerve over a lane I have the room ...... of course you get those few @$$holes that don't care and still pass you.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
greatzippy said:
+1 to what 04Fizzer & segue00 said.
Add one more. I avoid following SUVs and trucks if at all possible. Most cars you can see over and around.

Not only do you want to ride there, but make sure you STOP there as well. Until I see the cage stop behind me, I keep it in gear and watch the mirrors just in case I have to squirt in between the cars ahead of me to get out of the way.

I had an experience riding home the other night in my cage. I knew there was a kid on a new Ninja behind me a ways. He was just cruising along pretty slow, so I'd passed him and he had a car behind him. I was keeping an eye on his location in my mirror. 3 lane road, and he was riding in the far left lane to the far left of the lane (wrong side). I noticed that at a certain distance, his headlight perfectly blocked the left headlight of the cage and they blended in together, his headlight taking it's place and looking like one car back there, not a bike followed by a car. I could understand how easily, especially at night, someone could not see a bike with a quick glance in their mirror before changing lanes. Thankfully, our light is shaped oddly enough that it wouldn't look like most cars. Still, it's best to follow the old rule of riding like you're invisible because you just may be... especially at night.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Nice skill.

I ride with the clutch and brake covered with a couple of fingers ALWAYS. I know it is not recommended on turns, but that is my style anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts