Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I had a slightly close call because of a dumb driver.

I had a slow car to my right signaling to merge into my lane. I slowed down to let him in, but the car took his sweet time, probably not realizing I was allowing him to merge, even motioning with my head twice.

So at the last second he merges into my lane which I was expecting because his lane was ending and becoming a turning lane at the intersection.

Then a truck made a left turn at the intersection. I saw the truck and didn't see a problem because he had just enough time at the speed the car and I were going. But the car thought otherwise and slammed on his brakes in a freaking late reaction when the truck was pretty much out of our lane.

This I wasn't expecting. :eek:mg I slammed on my brakes, and luckily I made it out with a couple of inches to spare. I was tailgating a little because I had just let the car in, but man was his reaction late and unnecessary. I guess some people are just overly cautious and can't judge time/speed correctly.

I kept following the car, now at a safer distance, and, of course, he went on and did some unnecessary braking when no cars were in front of him.

It's been a while since my last close call. I'm glad they don't happen too frequently in my case. :)

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I hate random brakers- those are the fucking worst.

When in doubt I always will get away from a problem vehicle- a vehicle that will not make a decisive merge- is a problem vehicle- you get few changes to merge- and then I'm going to blow past and let you deal with it... I have found- it's (in my case here in Jersey) MUCH safer to turn it up a notch and get past a merging vehicle (on ramps and such are a great example) if you can properly judge their speed and distance- it's a big help.

If they don't lag- they merge suddenly thinking you are further back than you are- so yeah- I almost always opt for the go faster /move over route. just not worth the hassle (slow mergers are often a. new drivers or b. old ass methuslah drivers- both bad for business)

Glad you are okay though! Close calls suck- I invariably have one almost every trip to Princeton- the drivers up there are awful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a vehicle that will not make a decisive merge- is a problem vehicle- you get few changes to merge- and then I'm going to blow past and let you deal with it.
I usually follow this rule too, but I decided against doing it this time b/c he signaled early but took his time to merge even though he was running out of road...

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Glad you made it out ok. Use this as a learning experience. I've stopped counting the number of times idiots have almost killed me since unattentive driving is increasing. You have to watch out for you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ugh this is why if at all possible I try to have no cars in front of me. However, if one is I follow close to the yellow line so if they slam on their breaks I can dart around on the left, this saved me a whole bunch of times.

·
Registered
743 Posts
People here do that merging crap too. About half the drivers wait until the lane is ending then just follow the road as it merges, instead of signaling and getting over when its convenient. If they get to the end of it and no one has made a hole for them, they freak out, start flipping people off and forcing their way in. Even had one sideswipe the hell out of my truck (AND had no insurance...). I can survive the sideswipe in my truck, but not so much on my bike. I just have to slow down and let the pricks in. All you can do is day dream that you have jedi mind powers and put their car in the ditch.
Haven't had one immediately slam on the brakes after getting in front of me though... Just the thought of that possibility sounds utterly annoying to plan for, but now that you bring it up I better do so.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
The OP should have assumed the cager couldn't see him (odds are the cager didn't ever see him even once) and should have blown past him hard. This both puts him behind, and gives the bike some motion relative to the cage, making it (the bike) more visible.

Always assume the vehicle in front of you will stop dead for no particular reason. Sooner or later one always does.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
People in California can't merge. Period. Either they don't know the meaning of it, or they're too stupid to figure it out, or they're in too much of a hurry and they HAVE to squeeze into that spot in front of you before they hit a wall. That's the problem with half of our traffic to begin with. On the bike, I'll try to speed up and get in front of them. Most of the time they'll see me and slow down to let me get in front.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
People in California can't merge. Period. Either they don't know the meaning of it, or they're too stupid to figure it out, or they're in too much of a hurry and they HAVE to squeeze into that spot in front of you before they hit a wall. That's the problem with half of our traffic to begin with. On the bike, I'll try to speed up and get in front of them. Most of the time they'll see me and slow down to let me get in front.
I believe it's an everywhere in the US problem, we are too self-centered here.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Honestly, this doesn't even sound like a close call. It sounds like a monday.

Just like most the other close calls that people post on here, you should have never been in a situation like that to begin with. Which is why I never really have close calls.

The last one that I had was in my car. Was on the exit from I-40 westbound to NC-147 North. Which is basically an interstate. It's a two-lane exit and both lanes get their own lane on 147. Big, high speed interchange. You never have to slow down.

There was a roadwork truck on the LEFT shoulder of the exit ramp. With its flashers on. I dismissed it as a truck stopped there doing work. As I was coming up (in the right lane), they decided to start moving and immediately veer across both lanes of traffic to the other shoulder.

I started braking, instantly realized I'd never be able to keep from rear-ending this truck, let off the brakes and just drove onto the grass past the right shoulder at 65mph. Went to the RIGHT of a road sign, then veered back over onto the road. No harm done, just some grass clippings on the fenders. Somehow it was the world's smoothest shoulder, which was nice.

THAT is a close call. Having to brake a little hard because of a driver in front of you is not a close call. That's just a reminder as to why you pay attention.

And even though this was a close call... I don't even consider it a REALLY close call. I mean, in the blink of an eye, I was able to assess the situation, determine braking wouldn't do it, and just by instinct drove off the road. It's not like I had to rely on luck to save myself. Those are the REALLY close ones.... where all you can do is brake and just hope to god that you'll be able to stop in time. THOSE are the ones worth telling people about.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I cannot stand timid or indecisive drivers. I'd rather drive near a flaming aggressive asshole than a timid driver. I can predict the asshole and take appropriate action. The timid guy I just need to not be anywhere near, since there is no telling what he will do and when.

PhilB

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I must agree. Most of my "close calls" of the last couple decades have invalid varying degrees of luck in emerging unscathed. All involved me not paying sufficient attention to what I was doing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe it's an everywhere in the US problem, we are too self-centered here.
In my car or bike, I never force a merger so as to be courteous and respectful - unless absolutely necessary. When I miss my exit or I am stuck in the exit lane, I have no problem going a little further and circling around.

I also have no problem slowing down and letting people merge when I'm in my car - unless they are super slow. Never saw the logic in preventing mergers just to stay one car ahead. I would rather avoid the situation where the car might force his way.

Your case is definitely a close call, but that is why I described my case as a "slightly close call." I honestly believe Colorado drivers aren't that bad compared to other states I've driven in. I usually never have to slam on the brakes in traffic here.

I do have another close call story that would actually qualify as one, but I'm too ashamed to tell it because it was completely my fault. I was extremely lucky that I made it out of that one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Seems pretty obvious even from the replies to this thread that very few people know how to merge and everybody thinks whatever they do is correct. There is nothing wrong with slowing down to let someone in and there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of a merging lane and waiting until the end to merge over - as long as everybody is keeping safe following distances and providing enough space to perform traffic maneuvers no one else should be required to slow down.

The real problem with merging is the hyper aggressive drivers who leave a paper thin space cushion in front of them and refuse to let anyone get in front of them. Not only do these people need to slam on the brakes when someone in front of them slows down for whatever reason, these people cause blockages and delays to form in the merging line because they associate their place in line with their ego.

If everyone respected a reasonable space cushion merging would be a hell of a lot easier and smoother.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dont know what you are talking about. All i see is cars going backwards and white lines ;)

Lol hate those unexpected brakers. Ive practice that if there is a situation like that to break steadily and pull to the side or white line. Immediately after braking hard i get paranoid about the drivers behind me thinking im gonna become a pancake squish lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts