Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I don't actually keep a listed number of every close call I have, but just wanted to be funny I guess. Anyway, just thought I'd like to share my little experience with you all since I haven't been too active as of late (as if anyone cares :( ), but anyway.

So I decide to take my girl, my bike, and myself for a ride three days ago on a cool 80 degree day. I had headed out from my house to her house about 7 o'clock. At one of the intersection there had been what seemed to look like a car chase that ended in the middle of the intersection and was causing a traffic jam all around. Why did I think it was a car chase? Because there were 6 police cars lined up behind one car with everything inside the car on top of the car, one police car on each side of the intersection, and a PST directing traffic with a good ol' whistle. So I thought to myself, "Wow, don't see that every day.". Should have whipped out my camera. :D

But anyway, I make my way through traffic and I'm on my way to my girl's house. So I get to my girl's house ten minutes later and we go out for a short ride of about 30 minutes when we ended up downtown and we decided to go for a nice walk by the river. After about two hours, we decide to trade my bike in for the car as it was getting late. So we come back down the intersection that I spoke of earlier, and to my surprise, everything was still there when I had left two hours earlier! Except there was now a tow truck.

The merger point really sucks as I have to make a left hand turn at the intersection and there's three lanes of traffic coming on the merger lane and it doesn't last even 1/8 mile. So I have to watch the three left lanes behind me, three lanes in front of me, and the merger lane behind. The lanes in front of me are all jammed up and traffic is moving at maybe 1mph, and traffic behind me is moving at about 15mph and the truck behind me was doing 20mph trying to get over along with me.

So while I'm trying to get over, the truck behind me is doing the same, riding my ass. So I look back real quick again and am about to make the lane switch (all this thinking/looking takes place in less than 5 seconds as I'm in the merger lane) when I turn back around, traffic has come to a complete stop and I'm still doing 10-15mph, and I grab the front and step on the rear to where it chirps and leaves marks, and I stop about two feet from the car in front of me. I so thought I was going to hit the car. Meanwhile, my girl mostly remained calm and only lost her left footing.

The truck chirps tires as well as he comes to a stop. But luckily no contact was ever made. But this was by far the closest call I've ever had. But you've always got to be ready for this type of stuff to happen. Especially if you've got somebody riding pillion. I didn't even have time to THINK about what to do, I just re-acted. Thanks to all the emergency braking practicing I have done in the past, finally paid off again. So I'd just like to tell everyone here to always be careful and pay attention. The one second it takes you to look behind you and then back again could be fatal.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Damn you sure do know how to STRETCH a story out. J/k Good post. Stuff like that happens more than people know and it usually happens when someone is checking their mirror or looking over their should to see if they're clear to merge/turn then all of a sudden you look ahead and traffic is stopped and you're still going.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
glad to hear that you made it through just fine w/o any accidents!! i also been practicing emergency brakeing , glad to hear that the practice helps alot!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts