Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The company I work has a new way to clock in and out for work. You enter you employee number and then a machine reads (and copies) your finger print.

Now, I do not work for the government. I do not work at some place where you need a security clearance. I work as a valet.

I do not agree with clocking in & out with your finger print. What's wrong with employee number + password?

The machine is securily mounted to a wall, but a hack saw and 5 minutes would change that. It's also on a pretty public area.

I just found out about this today when I showed up to work. And it has caused a bit of a battle. My boss isn't happy, but I just don't see why.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Do they feel that the money spent on this technology will be less than what they estimate they are losing to fraudulent time keeping?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
would not be OK with that.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Your fingerprint is already on millions and millions of different things in this world, some of them quite unsavory. The problem is not really that they are using your print as an identifier, the problem is that it's a poor authentication mechanism.

Your company probably did this because employees are somewhat less likely to lose their fingers than to forget their passwords.

If you are not comfortable using your own fingerprint, my company FakeFinger.com will be happy to sell you a silicone thumb with a random print lifted from a greasy beer glass in Tijuana. It is guaranteed to be unique as far as you know.

:)

KeS

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
:eek:nfloor

Reactions: kevin_stevens

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Rather then have a key card hanging from a retractable key chain on his waist it will be a silicon thumb. That may be cause for some interesting conversation.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I just have a keycard where I work...

Fingerprints to clock in is a bit extreme
Just the new standard, when you goto disney you have to scan your thumb to get in.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have a key card, have scan it 3 times just to get into the front door. Need to scan to enter the property, scan again for the parking lot, scan again for the front door, and then scan at different doors through out the plant.

I do not work for the government, military or military contractor. I work at plant that makes cigarettes.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
just another way for them to fudge your hours. no way for you to prove anything.
I do not like the key card thing I have. they're always fucking with my hours too.
I'll get back at 630 and magically that extra 1.5 hrs never shows up on my paychecks.

so now I don't care what I have left to do I make sure I'm clocked out by 5pm no matter what. first time they say anything to me I'm throwing that shit in their faces.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
My job tossed around the idea of timeclocks, until they realized everyone shows up early and leaves late on a regular basis and the overtime would cost them quite a bit, never heard of it again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
just another way for them to fudge your hours. no way for you to prove anything.
I do not like the key card thing I have. they're always fucking with my hours too.
I'll get back at 630 and magically that extra 1.5 hrs never shows up on my paychecks.

so now I don't care what I have left to do I make sure I'm clocked out by 5pm no matter what. first time they say anything to me I'm throwing that shit in their faces.
When I worked in a warehouse where I had to clock in I always kept copies of my timecard made on Friday, if you worked the hours they have to pay you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Perhaps they are worried someone unauthorized will show up to "work" and steal some cars? It does seem excessive for the job. I've worked at a number of places that use biometric security, but I work in the pharmaceutical industry, and some of those places have morphine onsite, or dangerous viruses, or many other expensive and/or hazardous materials, so the security is justified.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Don't let them get your fingerprints. They will use it to track you, steal your DNA and make a clone of you. Once the clone is complete they will hunt you down and kill you.

BEWARE!

Don't believe it? Google: The 6th day and click on the first link that pops up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts