Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil on my 2004 500R for the first time at 600 miles. The manual suggested a 10W-40 oil. I used Pennzoil 10W-40. Now I get a clicking sound at idle like a valve is sticking or something. Anyone have any ideas?

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
try repacing the oil again w/yamalube/suzuki type cheap ass oil. it could be nothing at all, but try the oil first.

and for future reference, do not use pennzoil in your bike. use either real motorcycle oil or switch to synthetic and if you do that, use Mobil 1.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The manual didn't specify and this is the first bike that I have owned. How is the R1? I have thought about the GSX-R 750.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
First off, you need to make sure you are not using an "energy conserving" automotive oil in your motorcycle. These oils are labeled with an SJ type service duty. It contains friction modifiers which reduce drag on moving components. However, in cars, this oil is not used where friction is necesarry I.E. CLUTCH. When using an automotive type energy conserving oil in a motorcycle, the oil is used throughout the entire crankcase and transmission. It will many times cause the clutch to slip because of the added friction modifiers. Use an appropriate wieght motorcycle oil, or an automotive oil that specifically lists a service duty of SG or SH on the bottle.

Second off, Pennzoil is regarded as a low grade oil even for cars. Stay away from it.

First, change your oil and get that Pennzoil out. Second, with a fresh oil in there, see if you can hear if the clicking is coming from a specific point in the motor. Is it top end, bottom end? Left side, or right side? Also, rev the motor up to see if the clicking continues at higher RPMs.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Just a little FYI for you about these Kawasakis....

They are prone to clicking..so if the problem doesn't go away, consider that it might be normal. The cam chain tensioner...timing chain basically...well on the Kawasakis, its a ratcheting type tensioner. Which means the chain will develop a certain amount of slack before it will ratchet to the next tension position. What this means is, the chain will periodically get loud and make lots of clicking..until the tensioner ratchets it tight again, and the clicking will disappear. Mine is on its 2nd or 3rd cycling of clicking and tightening, and it's only at 4000 miles.

Just something to keep in mind. But DEFINITELY use the recommended oil like everyone else is saying and yes, Pennzoil is piss oil. We have Pennzoil 10-30 bulk at Tire Kingdom (where I work) and lemme tell ya.....it's junk. Always comes back dirtier than you would believe by that 3000 miles too.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Redstar11 said:
First off, you need to make sure you are not using an "energy conserving" automotive oil in your motorcycle. These oils are labeled with an SJ type service duty. It contains friction modifiers which reduce drag on moving components. However, in cars, this oil is not used where friction is necesarry I.E. CLUTCH. When using an automotive type energy conserving oil in a motorcycle, the oil is used throughout the entire crankcase and transmission. It will many times cause the clutch to slip because of the added friction modifiers. Use an appropriate wieght motorcycle oil, or an automotive oil that specifically lists a service duty of SG or SH on the bottle.
I always thought that if the oil didn't had the "Energy Conserving" logo it was all fine. I've seen many SJ oils without that logo, and some others with it.

Isn't Mobil 1 red cap SJ/SL??

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
All Mobil 1 car oils exceed SL specs and are ALL energy conserving.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I believe all SJ/SL oils have friction modifiers in them. Thats why motorcycle specific oils are SH and SG primarily.

·
Registered
19 Posts
actually the mobil 1 red cap does not have the energy conserving icon, or it listed anywhere on the bottle. All the other blue/green cap oils have the icon.

I've ran it in my bike and never had a problem with the clutch slipping ect.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Huh..thats odd.. I was just going by Mobil 1's website, and they claimed every full synthetic they sold was energy conserving. But then that seems to be typical of companies nowadays--they don't remember what the hell they're even producing anymore. :lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts