Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where (or if it even exists) I could find a clear blue spray paint, similar to the stuff that's used for tinting?

Here's my thinking:
Instead of dropping the cash for a blue puig, I want to paint my stock windscreen. First coat would be the clear blue. The second "coat" would be a chrome (third might be a coat of flat black depending on how badly the chrome reflects). Voila! Blue mirrored windscreen. Now all I need to do is find the blue.

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
Sounds interesting...

The thing is, I would think, given that you will be painting on the inside of the windscreen, that you will need to test somewhere else first. BECAUSE. In your reasoning, the black goes on last to "adjust" the quality of the finish. But when you actually do it, it will go on first (and only very partial), and then chrome and then blue.

Or do have all this wrong?!?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dparadis said:
Sounds interesting...

The thing is, I would think, given that you will be painting on the inside of the windscreen, that you will need to test somewhere else first. BECAUSE. In your reasoning, the black goes on last to "adjust" the quality of the finish. But when you actually do it, it will go on first (and only very partial), and then chrome and then blue.

Or do have all this wrong?!?
You're backwards.

The paint would be on the back side (facing you when the windscreen is installed), so blue would be first to give the color, then the chrome to make it shine, then possibly the black to cover up and possible reflection off the chrome back at me.

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
Perhaps a Candy Blue would work. What little I have read about Candy paint is that it is translucent due to a high quantity of laquer mixed in with the paint.

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
Well we agree on where the paint goes...

I'll just have to see. To me, if you put the chrome after you put the blue, the desired effect will only be seen if you position your eyes in the vicinity of the gas tank, looking forward!!! Anyone in front of your bike will only see blue.

Perhaps SilverBuzz has the answer!!!

Let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dparadis said:
Well we agree on where the paint goes...

I'll just have to see. To me, if you put the chrome after you put the blue, the desired effect will only be seen if you position your eyes in the vicinity of the gas tank, looking forward!!! Anyone in front of your bike will only see blue.

Perhaps SilverBuzz has the answer!!!

Let us know how it goes...
That's why I'm looking for a translucent paint (it was early when I posted...I couldn't come up with a word better than clear).

What I'm looking for is the translucent blue on first, and then the chrome will show through the blue, giving it a blue mirrored look.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I think the word is "transparent" paint. Can be achieved by not covering the shield too thick. :) But it will take some skill.

·
Registered
148 Posts
To get a transparent look, hold the spray can about 3 ft. (1m) away from the surface you're painting and just let the paint lightly coat on the surface. Do clear last, so that you can create a uniform coating to hold it together.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
segue00 said:
I think the word is "transparent" paint. Can be achieved by not covering the shield too thick. :) But it will take some skill.
Translucent is the word I was looking for. My brain wasn't in gear yet this morning.

I'm going to check out an RC/Hobby shop and see what they've got for RC car bodies as far as paint goes.

I found http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam86038.htm and it looks about what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah! i paint my RC bodies with the translucent paints and then chrome/silver/black back it and they come out looking great. you might want to get some clear laquer type spray to put over the backing just to make it less prone to chip or scratch. Very keen to see how it comes out!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mwellbel said:
Yeah! i paint my RC bodies with the translucent paints and then chrome/silver/black back it and they come out looking great. you might want to get some clear laquer type spray to put over the backing just to make it less prone to chip or scratch. Very keen to see how it comes out!
It's nice to know that I'm on the right track!
lol

Thanks!

I'm thinking I'll do the sides where the mirrors are black, then blue/chrome the center "V" and maybe try to do something with the Yamaha logo that's etched onto the screen near the nose. We'll see what happens. (It'll probably be another week or two. I'm out of town next week and getting ready to go out of town the next couple days).

·
Registered
227 Posts
one thing I would watch out for, the paints for the RC models are very very specific to what types of polymers(plastics) that they stick to. defintely do a small test area of ur screen, out of sight, so if it doesn't work u can abort! speak to ur RC shop guys, they are pretty knowledgeable about the paints and stuff and should be able to tell u if they will stick!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mwellbel said:
one thing I would watch out for, the paints for the RC models are very very specific to what types of polymers(plastics) that they stick to. defintely do a small test area of ur screen, out of sight, so if it doesn't work u can abort! speak to ur RC shop guys, they are pretty knowledgeable about the paints and stuff and should be able to tell u if they will stick!
The next question is, any idea what the wind screen is made of? I'm guessing polycarbonate.

·
Registered
828 Posts
You might try to find someone on the board with a wrecked windscreen with some remaining undamaged area for testing out your technique. There could be a few available out there...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Avoid clear lacquers at all costs. They are only stable on top of other lacquers and will eat away at almost all plastics. Most stuff you get at a hobby shop should work with our windscreen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts