Sport Bikes banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have both a clear and tint. I wear my dark tint sometimes in the morning but I have my clear on the helmet 75% of the time so I just pick it up and go. I can change the visors in less than 30 seconds but sometimes it's just annoying. I have been thinking of getting a tinted colored or mirrored visor. How do those compare with a dark or clear shield?

·
Registered
109 Posts
While I'd love to have a tinted shield the cost of $75-80 (Shark shield) has kept me using the clear and a pair of sunglasses. Works great for me. If I'm out past dark its as simple as not putting on the sunglasses. I wear contacts too so its important to block the wind in my eyes as they get dry really easily and hamper my vision.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't have a tinted visor, but the windows on my car are tinted and I usually have to ride with the windows down at night just so I can see without squinting and ruining my eyesight. I'd say go with the clear and sunglasses if yo can

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a clear and tinted visor I ride with a backpack most of the time and I carry my clear in case i am riding past sunset. I just swap them out. The sparx rebel helmet it changes out in minutes. It's so easy.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
glasses under a helmet can do nasty things to your face,(in a crash) dont wear them if you dont have to
Isn't that what fullface helmets protect? Get yourself a tint with progressive lens. Thats what I have on my lid. When it's bright outside the lens turn darker. 2k miles later and the still work just as good.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
all of my helmets have dark smoked shields and I wear sunglasses at the same time. I rarely ride at night so it's really not an issue.
+1

but the times i have ridden at night, the dark smoke really didn't bother me at all. but i don't go blazin' fast on the streets (or the track for that matter :lol).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone tried a yellow visor? I used to have a pair of sunglasses with yellow tinted lenses. They actually worked great at night.

·
Fool of the universe
1,311 Posts
dark smoke on all the time on my Arai Profile. Evenings switch to clear. Shield in tank bag in the plastic it originally came with.

I have very sensitive eyes to sunlight and have to wear sunglasses or something so a dark visor is a must for me always.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Anyone tried a yellow visor? I used to have a pair of sunglasses with yellow tinted lenses. They actually worked great at night.
Yellow/amber/orange tint are high-definition and will increase contrast at night making bright lights unbearable IMO. Great for fog though.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Yellow/amber/orange tint are high-definition and will increase contrast at night making bright lights unbearable IMO. Great for fog though.
So true! On coming vehicle lights will blind you and god help you if they happen to leave their brights on also. I will say though, if your out in the middle of nowhere the yellow make the reflected light from critters eyes nearly impossible to miss. I know it saved my butt one night from a herd of deer.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I have tinted...it's on my helmet 90% of the time. If I know I'm going to be out at night, I'll either put the clear one on, or bring it along to swap out later. When I get a new helmet though I think I'm going to go for that HJC that has the flip down visor...seems very handy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So is no one using a reflective visor?

I'm thinking of the chrome mirror visor on my shark helmet, in lieu of the smoke.
From my experience with snowboard goggles, the reflective tint was better at night than the dark smoke tint, but some people have told me that's not the case for most moto helmets.

What is the deal between smoke and mirrored then? Which is the best compromise for both day and night, since sunglasses hurt my temples inside the helmet padding

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ride a 03 Hyabusa, I don't recommend a shaded visor just because I ride during the day and night and during night rides shaded visors are not safe. I ride with glasses during the day and clear at night.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have both and like my tinted visor for day rides if it's not too overcast. Otherwise the clear goes on. Pinlock insert works in both for rain/cold. I agree with konji70 that a tinted visor at night is not safe. I wear prescription glasses, but don't wear tinted glasses.

A really good solution for day/night riding like commuting is one of the many helmets with drop down sun visors. I'm a big LS2 helmet fan and have been wearing them for the last 10 years or so, just getting a new one recently. I replace every 5 years. For me, that's been 60-100k miles per helmet, though that number has dropped recently and I'm only averaging 10k a year now.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts