Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
just wondering what products you guys use to clean up your bike... also any little tips on cleaning!

thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
wax based lemon scented furniture polish. REALLY. Cheap, effective, and many dealers use it. At a buck a can, you can't go wrong. Any spray cleaner, like armorall to clean off the bugs or waterspots is good before. Trust me, this works real well, and will not scratch the paint.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Honda Cleaner is the shit. Works great on all plastics (including your helmet). It'll clean off bugs and grime, and then leave a nice shine :cheers

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
I use Meguires quick detailer on the fairings/body work and I use Armor All cleaning wipes (NOT the shiny crap) on the frame, rear tire hugger, and other plastic trim pieces etc.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just remember folks that woody based paper towels will leave spider scratches on your painted surfaces and wind screens.

I always use clean 100% cotton towels or lamb's wool wash glove to wash/wax my bike. I'm not obsessive about keeping it clean but I'd hate to add even more of those little clear coat scratches that are really visible in bright sun light.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Awsome oven cleaner. Great for cleaning chain lube off of wheels, subframes, license plate, etc etc.

Keep it off the tire though. Its a massive grease cutter, breaks down oils so it would probably be VERY bad for tires.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
WISPER said:
Awsome oven cleaner. Great for cleaning chain lube off of wheels, subframes, license plate, etc etc.

Keep it off the tire though. Its a massive grease cutter, breaks down oils so it would probably be VERY bad for tires.
great idea for limited use. the more effective oven cleaners are corrosive, particularly on aluminum, so you have to make sure every bit of it is off of there and I wouldnt use it on too many parts of the bike. use it sparingly on surfaces compatible with it and keep it away from a chain.

furniture polish typically contains organic solvents. would equate this to teeth whitening toothpaste...stripping off the top layer of your teeth enamel. these types would remove some paint, although not near to the extent of something like engine degreaser.

I'll stick with dawn dish soap, a scrub and some elbow grease. I've used synthetic base oil from the lab before on wheels and that works good removing lube gunk without taking off paint but these arent readily available around town.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
GreenZED said:
I'll stick with dawn dish soap, a scrub and some elbow grease. I've used synthetic base oil from the lab before on wheels and that works good removing lube gunk without taking off paint but these arent readily available around town.
Please don't use dish soap on your plastic fairings!

WD40 and old toothbrush, with shop rags to clean chain. Use low pressure water and soap to remove excess WD40 on chain and rest of bike. WD40 also on the rear sproket and rims to remove tough grime. I use Blue Coral (sp?) or an equivelent car wash. Dry with leather chamois. Honda Cleaner and Polish (from can) to do a final polish. Honda Glass Cleaner on mirrors and windshield.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
mikem317 said:
Please don't use dish soap on your plastic fairings!
meant that more for cleaning wheels. it cleans wheels well without stripping paint.

I dont see how dish soap is bad for washing anything else though. it's universally used to strip old wax before rewaxing. I use a mild soap like eagle one for weekly washes but I use dawn for getting rid of what's left of a previous wax coat.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
First, the manual (and Sport Rider magazine) recommend using Kerosene to clean your chain. Yeah - like Kerosene is easy to get these days without driving all over hell and back. So I use Motul brand chain cleaner (picked it up at the dealer, very effective).

For cleaning the back wheel and anywhere I've got oily buildup (from the chain since nothing leaks on my bike thankfully) I use "Goof-Off" adhesive remover. Its safe on acrylic paints but will take off latex paint (great for cleaning house paint off the bumper of my wife's car when she bumps the damn garage). It takes off adhesive left behind by decals (why I bought it) and cuts through oily buildup DAMN slick. I still don't trust its long term effects on a nice paint job so I stick to the wheels, chain guard , etc.

For the rest of the bike, water and Plexus (not at the same time) work quite well on plastics and metals. A little windex for the headlight and mirrors.

And of course, ,I ALWAYS use MICRO-FIBER so that I don't cause scratches.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
hozhead said:
For cleaning the back wheel and anywhere I've got oily buildup (from the chain since nothing leaks on my bike thankfully) I use "Goof-Off" adhesive remover. Its safe on acrylic paints but will take off latex paint (great for cleaning house paint off the bumper of my wife's car when she bumps the damn garage). It takes off adhesive left behind by decals (why I bought it) and cuts through oily buildup DAMN slick. I still don't trust its long term effects on a nice paint job so I stick to the wheels, chain guard , etc.
that stuff contains xylenes which are an organic solvent and paint thinner. I used it to take glue trap goo off the front bumper of my car (dont ask how that got there), but it took a good amount of clear coat with it. Use it sparingly.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Citrus cleaner works great on pretty much all the parts. I apply it to a clean rag, not directly onto the bike.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
I make one of my bitches wash it for me.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Windex and cloth rag... works awesome, even on stray chain grease...
And Eagle One "NEVR-DULL" on my pipes and frame..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Might be a stupid question, but I was wondering why dawn is bad for the fairings?

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Iluvmy929 said:
Might be a stupid question, but I was wondering why dawn is bad for the fairings?
I don't have a creative answer, but I heard it will strip and/or damage the clearcoat, etc.

I used to clean with some dish soap detergent, and I got a compex answer. Sounded good at the time so I decided to always use soap products specific to washing cars/bikes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ahh, thanks :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts