Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a ex500 1990, and it was sitting for the past year and a half. When you start it(which takes a little) it'll only run when the choke is on. When you turn the choke off it dies. Even when I hit the throttle it dies...I was told that the CARBURATORS are clogged or need cleaning...is that right? if yes, what do I need to do?

Tony

·
Registered
968 Posts
Get a manual for your bike (even the clymer or haynes from the local library will due in lieu of the shop manual). Also have compressed air, couple of containers/bowls, carb cleaner, and float bowl gaskets (2) handy.

My EX is a '91 and I had to do the same to get it running right. I'd never worked on carbs before and found it to be pretty simple. Just take your time. Be sure to have the float bowl gaskets handy when you put your carbs back together. The old gaskets will likely leak if you put them back on. It's also a great time to replace your plugs since the tank is already off. Good time to take a look at your air filter too.

Remember not to seperate the carbs from each other and do them on at a time. Don't rush and you'll be fine. Also don't force anything. If you're forcing something you're probably doing something very wrong.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The EX500 carbs are easy to work on. Definitely get a Haynes/Clymer/Kawasaki manual... don't try to clean them without one or you might break parts or be unable to put it back together.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
charmersfh said:
I got a ex500 1990, and it was sitting for the past year and a half. When you start it(which takes a little) it'll only run when the choke is on. When you turn the choke off it dies. Even when I hit the throttle it dies...I was told that the CARBURATORS are clogged or need cleaning...is that right? if yes, what do I need to do?

Tony
Had the very same problem with my ZX6E. Problem turned out to be the tarnished jets and related delivery parts, clogged fuel pump and filter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
where can i buy the carburator rebuild kits

Somone mentioned to get a rebuild kit, where can i buy a crburator rebuild kit for my Suzuki katanai would love to do it my self.
THX

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts