Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to clean and lube my chain, and it doesn't look like the previous owner did much in the way of cleaning it so I wanted to just take the chain off and let it soak in some kerosene or something over night to get it extra clean. However, upon further inspection it kind of looks like taking the chain completely off and putting it back on might be kind of a pain in the balls. I was wondering if it was worth to trouble or If I should just clean it the best I can while it stays on the bike.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
no it's not nessesary really. you will have to cut the link pins off to get it apart.
removing the chain should only be done if you plan on replacing it.

the chain has O-rings sealing out the elements from getting in it. the only thing that needs cleaned is the outside.
kerosene or wd-40 works pretty well to clean. I prefere wd-40 for cleaning. kerosene stinks too much.
if you have to, scrub it with a soft bristle brush. a old tooth brush works well.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I've had decent luck in soaking a chain in kerosene on the bike with a little effort. I usually do this when the rear wheel is off anyway for a tire change.

Find a baking dish the right size and shape (narrow mainly) to hold as much of the chain as you can collect at one time. Leave that much soaking for a bit then rotate the chain so a new section is in the "bath". You can now use a brush on the section that just came out of the kerosene. Repeat until clean. It may take a couple of complete revolutions of the chain.

I've even had the dump the kerosene and get fresh in the middle of the process because so much gunk came off. BTW, kerosene should be disposed of properly as a hazardous waste. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
:bananafu: WD40 FTW! :bananafu:

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
^ I've got one of those, and it makes the job much easier. That, some WD-40 and a few shop rags does the trick nicely. You might want to put a piece of cardboard under the chain so the run-off doesn't stain the floor or concrete where your bike is sitting. esp if the chain is really grimy.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yeah I usually just use a piece of card board. Although Id probably buy that little cleaning kit if I saw it locally, I cant be bothered to order it online.

·
old member
13,079 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys (and acalliste:))

I ended up leaving the chain on, putting up some cardboard, and scrubbing the shit outta that bad boy with some WD-40, an old toothbrush, and about 6 shop rags lol. I'm not sure when the last time the previous owner cleaned the chain but the difference is like night and day. Doesn't even look like the same chain anymore.

Then I hit it with some of this:

Can't say enough about this stuff. Not only did it remove more grime just by spraying it on (yes, even AFTER I scrubbed that bitch for a good 20 minutes) but within a couple minutes it completely drys and leaves nothing for dirt to stick to. It's waterproof, lasts longer than traditional grease, and easy as hell to apply.

So, how often do you guys lube your chains? Usually wait until it gets dirty enough that you need to clean it?

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
My intent is to lube it every 400-500 miles, but it usually doesn't work out that way because I can never remember when the last time I did it was. So instead I try do it after riding in the rain, every time I clean it, or simply when I remember to, whichever comes first.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I've even had the dump the kerosene and get fresh in the middle of the process because so much gunk came off. BTW, kerosene should be disposed of properly as a hazardous waste. :)
drop a match in it?

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
You might want to put a piece of cardboard under the chain so the run-off doesn't stain the floor or concrete where your bike is sitting. esp if the chain is really grimy.
Now there's a great idea!:neener

·
Another day lived!
2,288 Posts
I use WD-40 and rags and then put Maxima Chain Wax on it. I use a light coat and that keeps the grime down and makes it easier to clean the next time. I clean it every 400 to 500mi or after riding in the rain. I really don't see the need to pull it off. To me it's just easier.

·
Another day lived!
2,288 Posts

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
same way with my bike, was lubed but VERY dirty, the faces of the links were black, I did just like you, took a toothbrush, shop rags, and WD-40 and got to work, yeah it takes a little elbow grease but it's worth it, I sprayed it down thoroughly with WD-40 and let it soak for a bit, then scrub with the rush, rinse the bristles with the hose and scrub some more, then I spray the chain down and then dry/finish cleaning with the shop rags and then let sit to dry for a while then I hit it with the lube, I exclusively use Motul chain lube, it has next to no fling off, great stuff, just doesn't handle rain as good as others becaus eit's pretty thin.

As for cleaning regiment, I usually just go by a visual inspection, after it rains though I try to re-lube it before riding but this is real life so I'm not always right on top of it.

In all actuality I probably lube my chain every 400 - 500 miles without even thinking about it lol

BTW, WD-40 is a beast at cleaning your rear wheel, works wonders and doesn't screw up the paint, hell I even spray a wash cloth with it and then wipe down my engine casing and mufflers, my OEM manual actually recommends the WD-40 for the mufflers, they obviously know what's up:bowdown

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
So I want to clean and lube my chain, and it doesn't look like the previous owner did much in the way of cleaning it so I wanted to just take the chain off and let it soak in some kerosene or something over night to get it extra clean. However, upon further inspection it kind of looks like taking the chain completely off and putting it back on might be kind of a pain in the balls. I was wondering if it was worth to trouble or If I should just clean it the best I can while it stays on the bike.
kerozene will seep past the orings and kill what ever grease is left in there, that hasnt already dried up.

Youd be better off soaking it in high detergent gear oil

However , removing oring chains to to that , little fruit is to be gained that cant be done on the bike, it will only get dirty again, and Breaking a good masterlink, may not be ideal as a routine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I too use wd40 and rags. if it is real nasty I will go to the car wash and use the tire cleaner let it soak and the wash and rinse it. I use belray white chain lube

1 - 20 of 20 Posts