Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the new GTO has been out a while now, but I still can't get over how bad a job Pontiac did trying to bring it back. I'm a huge GTO fan, a huge Pontiac fan for that matter. It's just, I almost feel sick that Pontiac had the nerve to slap a GTO title on what is more or less a Grand Prix (with muscle I'll agree). The classic GTO was about power, but it was power with style. The new GTO...well, it certainly falls short of style. Anyone agree?

Attachments

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
GixxerGirlRD said:
I know the new GTO has been out a while now, but I still can't get over how bad a job Pontiac did trying to bring it back. I'm a huge GTO fan, a huge Pontiac fan for that matter. It's just, I almost feel sick that Pontiac had the nerve to slap a GTO title on what is more or less a Grand Prix (with muscle I'll agree). The classic GTO was about power, but it was power with style. The new GTO...well, it certainly falls short of style. Anyone agree?
Unfortunately thats kinda the trend these days...Hell, look at the new Dodge Charger :pisson What a SHAME.

GM just better do it right when they bring back the camaro!!
I'm tired of seeing all these damn new mustangs.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Well I'm happy they didn't try to go "retro" with it. Retro sold for a while, and I'll admit it looks pretty good on the new Mustang (but it's still new and fresh), but the fact is retro design doesn't usually stay fresh for long. Look at the PT Cruiser *shessh*

The problem with the new GTO is that it seems so exciting on paper but is so poor in execution. The ass-end makes the car look like an econo-box compact car - what they should have done is flare the rear wheel wells out and put some big wide meats back there. The new hood is an improvement, but other than that this car just doesn't have any of the styling cues that make it seem like a muscle car. It is an oddball and I think it will be gone in two or three more years unless they make some big changes.

Now what I like is the Bonneville - the new V8 GXPs look cool as hell. But they needed to loose that front wheel drive platform. Now, of course, GM is killing the big Bonnie because it is too much competition for the big Buicks.

I'm a GM guy, but GM better pull their heads out of their asses if they want me to be a customer. First, they pissed me off when they let Oldsmobile whither and die. Now, when the Bonnie goes away there will be absolutely nothing in the Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick (never mind Saturn) product lines that will bring me to the lot. I like the new Caddies, but a new one is not in my budget. Chrysler, on the other hand, has a few models that have caught my eye...

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
Holden in Austrailia designed it. It was actually a Monaro (or something like that). the pontiac version has different body work. Check out the Holden special vehicles GTO, really sweet car.

yeah, i agree, plain and...well it would be lame if i didn't have all that power.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Didn't they give the newest GTO models 400hp? I think the new GTO looks pretty cool, thats just me. :smokin

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KoLRaNcH said:
Didn't they give the newest GTO models 400hp? I think the new GTO looks pretty cool, thats just me. :smokin
Indeed, the new GTOs have 400hp/400 lb-ft torque. They have the power, and as far as the look goes it's not a bad looking car. It's just, they shouldn't call it a GTO because it's far from it.

Travis71902: The new Dodge Charger is iffy. I can at least see where they tried to throw in some of the old Charger lines, but still keep it modern. It still by no means is the classic Charger. I wish they would have done more with the front end. Pull in the grill, give it some hideaway headlights.

tmkreutzer: Agreed totally. It's a sporty compact with muscle. Far from the muscle car it was meant to be. I have to agree with the Mustang too, it has the old school features blended well with that modern look. The new Bonneville is pretty smooth looking too. The dash on that car is simply wicked.

Mucho Gonzales: I would take the Holden version over the Pontiac. It's still no GTO but for what it is, it's pretty sweet indeed.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
I like the new GTO. I agree that the styling is somewhat lacking. The rear sucks. I can live with it though. It was supposed to get a radical facelift in 07 on the Zeta platform. However, with the troubles GM is having there might be an axe to that plan.

The quality of the GTO is amazing. The best seats in any sports car, period.

·
Registered
361 Posts
not to rain on your parade, but, do you know what the original GTO was? it was a pontiac tempist, plain and boring looking, but with ALOT of HP under the hood. The old urban legend is/was that pontiac's engineering team headed by John DeLorian (yes same guy, no he never went to prison) was given a weekend, the pontiac parts bin and a pontiac tempest. They changed the motor the springs and a series of other key parts and the pontiac GTO was the result. It was the wild Judge of the later years until years later.

in that respect, I LOVE the new GTO the car is what the original GTO was, not what it became later. The new GTO is a large 2 door sedan with lots of horsepower, without a astronomical price tag. Exactly what the original GTO was. Granted the later GTO's and Judges were much more wild, the original was a simple car

Original

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've drove the new GTO and its nothing to brag about. Throttle response is sluggish, the car seems to be heavy and transfer to the rear wheels is sloppy. Handling is fair. What gets me is the 35 grand price tag that accompanies the car. More than I want to pay. Currently GM is facing declining sales due to there product lines do nothing for current buyers. Its pretty bad when your stocks are now rated on the same level as junk bonds.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
clearwaterms said:
not to rain on your parade, but, do you know what the original GTO was? it was a pontiac tempist, plain and boring looking, but with ALOT of HP under the hood. The old urban legend is/was that pontiac's engineering team headed by John DeLorian (yes same guy, no he never went to prison) was given a weekend, the pontiac parts bin and a pontiac tempest. They changed the motor the springs and a series of other key parts and the pontiac GTO was the result. It was the wild Judge of the later years until years later.

in that respect, I LOVE the new GTO the car is what the original GTO was, not what it became later. The new GTO is a large 2 door sedan with lots of horsepower, without a astronomical price tag. Exactly what the original GTO was. Granted the later GTO's and Judges were much more wild, the original was a simple car

Original
I'm aware that the GTO became an option on the Tempest Le Mans in 64 & 65 and then became it's own model in 66. Maybe I'm just picky about things but if you're going to use a name of a classic car (even in it's early years the GTO is still a classic car and still had it's own style) then you bring back more then the concept. What's the point of calling it a GTO simply because it is a "muscle car" built from a family sedan? Even the Tempest, as simple as it was, still had it's very own style which was not captured by the later Tempest or the new GTO.

Not to rain on your parade :neener but the picture you posted is a 65 which has different styling then the original 64. Most notably the stacked headlights and hood. With all that said I do see your point, I just don't see the need to use the GTO name. Plus I heard somewhere, probably false, that they were going to bring back the Judge as well. So who knows.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Here is a custom GTO from the SEMA show a year or so ago. This is what they needed to make. It has wider wheel wells and the fenders bulge out - this thing looks like a muscle car. I'm not saying this one is perfect either, but it is closer to what I would expect and I'd go down and check one out for sure.

Just compare the two...

Attachments

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I like the one on the left. I'm on the fence about liking it or not.

·
part of the problem
487 Posts
The new GTO looks like an American car trying to be Japanese. The picture of the silver car doesn't really do it justice. In that pic it does look like a Grand Prix. In person, it looks more like an American Acura Intergra, albeit with balls.

·
Registered
361 Posts
GixxerGirlRD said:
I'm aware that the GTO became an option on the Tempest Le Mans in 64 & 65 and then became it's own model in 66. Maybe I'm just picky about things but if you're going to use a name of a classic car (even in it's early years the GTO is still a classic car and still had it's own style) then you bring back more then the concept. What's the point of calling it a GTO simply because it is a "muscle car" built from a family sedan? Even the Tempest, as simple as it was, still had it's very own style which was not captured by the later Tempest or the new GTO.

Not to rain on your parade :neener but the picture you posted is a 65 which has different styling then the original 64. Most notably the stacked headlights and hood. With all that said I do see your point, I just don't see the need to use the GTO name. Plus I heard somewhere, probably false, that they were going to bring back the Judge as well. So who knows.
i know it's a 65, the only picture of a 64 I found was a convertable, this better illistrated my point. And yes, I heard they are going to bring back the judge, much to the dismay however, I have a feeling it will only be a graphics and style package, making the judge just another name badge in the GM lineup, ala the RS for camaro.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Rockett Doll..........I am truly impressed and I don't like the new ones either.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tmkreutzer: I much prefer the one on the left. I see more muscle there then with the other. I'd love it if they had expanded the grill and gave it hideaway headlights. Yes, I have a thing for hideaways.

3l1t3: Agreed. I did see it in person but not up close. Pretty much turned me off from a distance so there was no need to get a better look.

clearwaterms: It really depends on what Pontiac was going for. If they wanted to capture the same concept alone then they did fine. If they wanted to capture the concept and the car itself they failed.

alaska cajun:Well thank you :banana

·
Registered
376 Posts
3l1t3 said:
The new GTO looks like an American car trying to be Japanese. The picture of the silver car doesn't really do it justice. In that pic it does look like a Grand Prix. In person, it looks more like an American Acura Intergra, albeit with balls.
Damn..couldn't of said it any better. I agree I think it has the look similar to an integra. That one on the left with that wide body kit just looks so much more beastly and american. They made a stupid mistake... :bitchslap

·
Registered
495 Posts
I like the GTO, I think it is a sleeper. I personally like that fact for an everyday driver. The car isn't perfect, but it is a good car. I'm guessing its just the GTO badge that has everyone riled up.

Unfortunately as a long time GM Mopar fan, there isn't much on the lot that really lights my fire. The soltice has style, but no power, the magnum is merely OK, the SRT8 charger and Chysler 300 aren't bad, the CTS-V is cool, and the '06 Z06 is damn close to doing it for me! The only fords I like are the superduties and the GT of course.

If I had money, I would want a CTS-V with the SCCA body kit on it :drool
Since I don't have money, the GTO would be a good car fro me :)

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Str8away Hater said:
I like the GTO, I think it is a sleeper. I personally like that fact for an everyday driver. The car isn't perfect, but it is a good car. I'm guessing its just the GTO badge that has everyone riled up.

Unfortunately as a long time GM Mopar fan, there isn't much on the lot that really lights my fire. The soltice has style, but no power, the magnum is merely OK, the SRT8 charger and Chysler 300 aren't bad, the CTS-V is cool, and the '06 Z06 is damn close to doing it for me! The only fords I like are the superduties and the GT of course.

If I had money, I would want a CTS-V with the SCCA body kit on it :drool
Since I don't have money, the GTO would be a good car fro me :)
It really is the GTO badge. The car is fine, it's got power, looks ok I guess. I just don't care for the GTO name being used for marketing reasons. That CTS-V is pretty sweet. Now that I would drive.

I found these online, I guess it was a GTO concept back in 99...pretty wild if I do say so myself.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts