Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who is familiar with Florida law tell me if it is illegal to park your motorcycle on the sidewalk in front of a public building? I was at the gym, and I walk out about 45 mins later to find a parking citation on my bike and a fine for $25. I've been parking on the sidewalk of my work forever, and it's a public building, and I've never once had a problem. The ticket is completely filled out with everything, my name, address, the whole nine yards. Are they allowed to just come and run your tag without you being present? I've heard otherwise. Please anyone familiar with FL law enlighten me. Thanks guys/gals.

·
Registered
471 Posts
whats the statute number they cited you with?

My guess would be they cited you with a County or City ordinance violation..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sure they are "allowed" to run your tag without you being there. It would be the same if they were behind you and decided to run your tag. You would never actually speak to the officer. As stated above its more than likely a city or county ordinance prohibiting you from parking on the sidewalk or curb.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So no way around this one I imagine. Just bite the bullet and pay the fine. Not worth the hassle to object.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You just paid $25.00 to be able to walk outside and find your bike in the same condition you left it in. Pretty good deal. :cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, if you feel that you can prove that you were not in fact parked on the sidewalk then you may have a chance, but I dont think that is the case since the officer did have your information and it did correspond to your bike. Its just a parking ticket, it will not be reported to your insurance nor go on your driving record. Don't worry to much about it. Just pay it and be done. Chance are its under 25.00 anyway.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was clearly on the sidewalk so no arguing there. I guess the cop was either bored or felt like being a jerk tonight because I've seen bikes parked on that exact same sidewalk everytime I'm over in that area, that's where i got the idea it was okay. It says $25.00 on the citation. Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sidewalks arent legal to park on but I see vespas do it sometimes. I went into chicago and got a ticket for parking at a paid meter inbetween two cars. Thats a bs ticket because theres no way to make sure no cars park up against my bike so I am contesting it- I was there first, I SWEAR!

·
Registered
528 Posts
It should be legal to park on the sidewalk, considering I don't see motorcycle parking hardly anywhere. I park on the sidewalk at Wal-Mart all the time, they have cops working all over out there that are cool and have no problem with me parking on the sidewalk and also its nice to have that extra security.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just remember...it could always be worse.

About 5 years ago, I rode to the Viet-Nam memorial, on my bike, to pay my repsects to a friend who is listed on one of the panels. It was early morning, no traffic, etc. I parked my bike by a Jersey barrier where there were no signs posted.

30 minutes later, I returned to find a cop writing a parking ticket...and another parking ticket was already on the bike! I told the officer what I was doing, basically asked if he could rip up the two tickets (one was written by another cop...I guess they tag team when they are not really busy), and his response was "No."

I wrote a letter of protest to the DC District government...never got a response. Had to pay two fines.

Welcome to Washington.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I guess the cop was either bored or felt like being a jerk tonight because I've seen bikes parked on that exact same sidewalk everytime I'm over in that area, that's where i got the idea it was okay.
Possibly. Or maybe the business owners have been complaining about bikes on the sidewalk, and the police are starting to do something about it.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I think the short answer is that it's never legal to park on the sidewalk. In some instances, cops may ignore a bike parked out of the way (in some parts of San Francisco for example). But if you are in any way blocking the sidewalk, you deserve a ticket IMO.

I sometimes have to walk with an elderly relative in a wheelchair or using a walker. I've been tempted to knock over a few bikes that have parked such that we can't get past them while staying on the sidewalk. A different perspective.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
998R said:
Just remember...it could always be worse.

About 5 years ago, I rode to the Viet-Nam memorial, on my bike, to pay my repsects to a friend who is listed on one of the panels. It was early morning, no traffic, etc. I parked my bike by a Jersey barrier where there were no signs posted.

30 minutes later, I returned to find a cop writing a parking ticket...and another parking ticket was already on the bike! I told the officer what I was doing, basically asked if he could rip up the two tickets (one was written by another cop...I guess they tag team when they are not really busy), and his response was "No."

I wrote a letter of protest to the DC District government...never got a response. Had to pay two fines.

Welcome to Washington.
You were :urowned Unless Washington law is different which it probably is. they cant write you 2 tickets for the same thing.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
now why would anyone think it's legal to park a motor vehicle on a pedestrian sidewalk in the first place? Hell, why don't we all just park our cars there too?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
mikofz1 said:
Parking a motorcycle in front of a building on the sidewalk is a poser move. Sorry. Just being honest.
bah. It's much more difficult for the pickup and van thieves to steal a bike that is parked in this way. I usually chain mine next to a building for more security, but if I cant do that I park it parallel to the sidewalk in plain view of the entrance. to say parking your bike on a walkway in a manner that doesnt obstruct wheelchair access is a 'poser' move, that is ludicrous.

·
Registered
912 Posts
mikofz1 said:
Parking a motorcycle in front of a building on the sidewalk is a poser move. Sorry. Just being honest.
I'd have to disagree... When I first got my bike I parked in parking spaces like normal people. On three different occasions I came out of an establishment just in time to watch someone try to whip into the 'empty' parking space my bike was in, only to hear tires screech as they realized the spot wasn't empty. One of them was almost to late and their bumper was litterally an inch from contact.

I park on the sidewalk or in white crossed-out areas at the front of the lot by the handicapped parking all the time just so I don't have to worry about some jerk doing a hit-and-run on my bike.

Now, I've seen a guy take it even further... Sport bike, at Wal-Mart, actually pulled in to the 'entrance' part through the first automatic doors(with the all-weather carpet, before you actually get in to the store) when it was raining outside. Took off all his gear, left it on the bike, and went shopping.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts