Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for awhile now, and never had circulation problems in my wrist. My R6 is my first SS, so the forward lean is not uncomfortable, but still more aggressive than I've been used to in the past. In any case, I rode for about 5 hours or so yesterday with a passenger. I noticed that the left side of my left hand was getting numb. Mainly the ring and pinky fingers. I figured that it'd go away, but my left side of my hand is still numb today :confused:

It's not so numb that I can't move it, but it just feels "asleep."

Anyone have similar problems?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Riding with a passenger usually causes you to lean forward more and put more weight on your bars. This extra pressure is on the "heel" of your hand which would have a tendency to reduce circulation to the two fingers you mentioned.

You may need to do lower back extension exercises to build up those muscles which would make it easier to support your upper body off the bars.

OTOH, 5 hours with a pillion is a LONG time on an R6. Maybe take more breaks and flex your hands while riding as much as you can (safely). Lightening your grip on the bar to flex your hand will tend to remove the weight on your hand as well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree to the above post 100%

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the advice. I was thinking along the same lines. However, my hand is still numb today....about 20 hours later.

Has the numbness happened to any of you guys for such an extended period?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not, 20 hrs afterwards, Give your hand a massage, better yet let you misses give you hand a massage.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Soak your hand in warm water or epson salt. Your hand getting numb is not uncommon when riding with a passenger for that long of a time. But still being numb 20 hrs later is uncommon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The numbness is still continuing today because you pinched a nerve somewhere. It should go away eventually but might take a while.
Your passenger was probably leaning in to your back. Next time, train the passenger to try to support her own weight as much as possible. Or you could try wearing wrist supports such as weight lifters wear.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
^^ +1

Its either a pinched nerve, or a compressed disc. I have the same problem, tingling fingers, even up through the arm, and hot spots if I turn or move a certain way. All on the left side only. When you strech your head, swiviling it around, do you feel any pain? Mine was pinched in the neck area, and I could feel it by moving my head in a certain way.

I would recommend going to a doctor, they may want to take x-rays to find out the exact problem area, and get some physical therapy or medication.

If its like mine, its going to take a very long time to go away. Best of luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the exact same problem. I used to ride a ninja 250 for nearly 4 years and recently upgraded to a 1krr. After a few days of riding i noticed that the middle and ring finger of my left hand were quite numb, but not painful. I assumed that this would go away, but after 4 weeks I decided to go to the doctor. They couldn't find anything physically wrong with me, even to the point that the doctor thought this was just in my head. Anyhow, it eventually went away, but couldn't tell you how long it took, I just noticed one day that they were no longer numb. I tend to do lots of hand stretching while riding now, either at a light or whenever possible this tends to help. I do notice that my fingers still get quite numb when I go on long rides (more than 2 hours).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^

Whew, at least I know I'm not alone. Thanks for the good advice guys. I hope it'll just go away. I did do stretching/ pretty light weight training today. The fingers are numb feeling, but it hasn't affected my grip strength, which I'm glad about.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Forgot to ask, were you riding in about the same positions as in your avatar?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think it's more vibration related... vibrations from bike are passed through your hands by the bars/clip ons...

You could possibly try a different pair of gloves with a gel pad in the palm to help...

You could use your abs to help hold pressurs off of your wrists too...

My pinky and ring fingers go numb after riding too long as well... it helps for me to use my abs and make sure I've got little to no pressure sitting on my hands and wrists...

The numbness for me is vibration related, and it usually goes away a bit after I've finished riding... usually not more that 2 hours at the most.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't lean like you do, different bike, but I noticed that my numbness goes away as long as I hold my back straight. Doesn't matter whether you're leaned, as long as the spine is straight. Takes a lot of ab muscle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RayOSV said:
Forgot to ask, were you riding in about the same positions as in your avatar?
:) She was just a little skinnier. Although she still had flames shooting out her arse

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
sounds like early signs of carpal tunnel.

go to the doctor. you can also just rest the hand for a few days...keep the wrist straight, dont bend it at all, and take it easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts