Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ninja 300, I'm looking to upgrade to a 600cc supersport. I don't plan on racing but would consider attending track days. I'm looking at the Honda CBR, Kawasaki Ninja 636, Suzuki GSXR, and the Yamaha R6. I've sat on all of them and was most comfortable on the CBR.

My biggest gripes with the 300 are the suspension, brakes, and skinny tires. It's a beginner bike and I don't think it would be worth it to upgrade those components due to the fact that it is not a supersport, and it never will be.

I can't decide which one I want, would love some feedback. Open to any suggestions as well.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
CBR is a solid bike. If your most comfortable on it then that is the one to go with. All the big guys are gonna be close in just about every area so go with the one that feels best to you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Looks- Ninja 636
Sound- stock exhaust- 636
Comfort- CBR
Performance- all a tie for intent and purposes on the street.

I will just add that the R6 is pretty uncomfortable to me.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Their basically all the same. Go for the best looking (to you) and most comfortable (to you).

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I wouldn't buy a sportbike based on comfort. I wouldn't buy a ferrari based on how plush the suspension is over potholes either. I'm a kook like that though.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
he is going to post up his new 2015 tire review along with his 2015 how to let ped pick your motorcycle with your money thread.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
I wouldn't buy a sportbike based on comfort. I wouldn't buy a ferrari based on how plush the suspension is over potholes either. I'm a kook like that though.
I had a 600rr that I could barely ride for 30 min before my body hated me. I can ride for 2 or more hours on my gsxr before my ass starts to get sore, sooooo yes comfort does matter.

Comfort still matters to a degree on track bikes too, it will determine if you can get out for that last session or not sometimes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually starting to lean towards a liter bike at this point. Specifically the 2009-2014 model Yamaha R1. I really like the looks visually, I'm 6' 1" so it would be a b***** bike and a "better fit" in theory. I just don't know if going from a 300 to 1000 is too big of a jump. I'm sure it wouldn't be if I am responsible about it.

I hear liter bikes are a lot smoother and more linear power wise making them a lot easier to not try to wind them out every gear. However, I know that that is solely based on who is riding the motorcycle.

I'm really not sure where to go at this point.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Actually starting to lean towards a liter bike at this point. Specifically the 2009-2014 model Yamaha R1. I really like the looks visually, I'm 6' 1" so it would be a b***** bike and a "better fit" in theory. I just don't know if going from a 300 to 1000 is too big of a jump. I'm sure it wouldn't be if I am responsible about it.

I hear liter bikes are a lot smoother and more linear power wise making them a lot easier to not try to wind them out every gear. However, I know that that is solely based on who is riding the motorcycle.

There is a cc bike size chart I posted on here a while back. Goes something like this:

250-300cc- 4'5" to 5'1"
350-600cc- 5'2" to 5'6"
601-999cc- 5'7" to 6'11"
1000cc+- 7' to 8'11"

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts

I'm 6'2" and fat. I rode a 600cc bike for 9 years. A 1000cc bike won't necessarily be b***** or more comfortable or a better fit just because it has a larger engine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had a 600rr that I could barely ride for 30 min before my body hated me. I can ride for 2 or more hours on my gsxr before my ass starts to get sore, sooooo yes comfort does matter.

Comfort still matters to a degree on track bikes too, it will determine if you can get out for that last session or not sometimes.
What year was it, I know the 07-12 CBR600RR were comfy as is the current one

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm really stuck on the R1, I like the looks so much better than any of the 600's :(

(2009-2014, not super fond of the 2015, nor can I afford it)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The liters have the same ergos as the 600s. You won't definitely kill yourself jumping on a 1000, but you'll be a shitty rider for a much longer time, and might never be as good as if you get on a 600 first. Plus you're 19, look up insurance on a 1000.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
ONE cylinder of that r1 makes more hp than your 300. So I would advise against it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts