Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
looks like a kawi 650r knock-off
That's because it is a 650r knockoff. I recently read an article in BIKE magazine about how the Chinese have knockoffs of every kind of bike now. They even purchased one for 600 pounds called a Yamasaki, which oddly enough is a cheap reproduction of a Honda. It arrived in a crate and you have to assemble it yourself. It's apparently a total pile of shit and has become a running joke in the magazine. They specifically showed this 650r knockoff as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
You know that smell when you walk into Harbor Freight? That smell you smell when you enter a place with a lot of cheap, crappy Chinese items? And you feel like you'll get some horrible disease/cancer by breathing it in?

Well, I smelled that when I opened this thread.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Screw it; rather than thinking "I hope the chinese bike maker's race bike goes down in flames at the start line", I hope they succeed at IOM. So that they (the other teams) get shaken up enough to step up their "game" (advance their knowledge and push themselves even further to become better).

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
While more competition and a wider selection of bikes is a good thing - simply ripping off the Ninja 650 and ER650 is 100% bloody wrong. Kawasaki spent millions designing and building that bike and even if the Chinese knock off is a horrid copy - the fact that the government of China fails to recognize trademarks, patents and copyrights is utterly unfair and should generate immense response from the EU and US Government.

Apparently most of these copies are complete garbage.

It is unfair to compare these thieves to the Japanese. Although Americans initially made fun of the Japanese - what the Japenese were producing in terms of motorcycles was minimally derivitive and was typically very well crafted if not equally durable to western bikes.

We should be taking this [email protected] very seriously.

·
Registered
869 Posts
While more competition and a wider selection of bikes is a good thing - simply ripping off the Ninja 650 and ER650 is 100% bloody wrong. Kawasaki spent millions designing and building that bike and even if the Chinese knock off is a horrid copy - the fact that the government of China fails to recognize trademarks, patents and copyrights is utterly unfair and should generate immense response from the EU and US Government.

It is unfair to compare these theives to the Japanese. Although Americans initially made fun of the Japanese - what the Japenese were producing in terms of motorcycles was minimally derivitive and was typically very well crafted if not equally durable to western bikes.

I agree. But it's jut not so clear cut. On the one hand, I cannot stand by CF/WK and say they build quality vehicles that are not complete rip-offs, and a LOT of copied garbage comes from China, with no care for any kind of intelectual property or working rights. However, it seems to me that there ARE quality products and industries from China, and we can't just discount them for being chinese.

So, we'll have to see.

·
CCS# 616
915 Posts
Once upon a time people used to laugh at the notion of Japanese bikes...

True, but it took many years of putting out high quality goods before japanese craftsmanship was widely recognized. The Chinese are still making shit.

It is unfair to compare these theives to the Japanese. Although Americans initially made fun of the Japanese - what the Japenese were producing in terms of motorcycles was minimally derivitive and was typically very well crafted if not equally durable to western bikes.

If they actually produced goods that didn't fall to crap I think those type of rights would be more vigorously protected. I think China will get there one day, but most stuff from there now is cheap junk.

·
Moto GP Champion
505 Posts
You know that smell when you walk into Harbor Freight? That smell you smell when you enter a place with a lot of cheap, crappy Chinese items? And you feel like you'll get some horrible disease/cancer by breathing it in?

Well, I smelled that when I opened this thread.
:spit :eek:nfloor

Seriously though, it's only a matter of time before they become a real player in the market. And since they don't follow the same copyright laws as the rest of the world seems to have agreed upon it may be faster then we realize.

·
Registered
743 Posts
True, but it took many years of putting out high quality goods before japanese craftsmanship was widely recognized. The Chinese are still making shit.
The Chinese already make very high quality goods, but do so for other companies that can slap a name on them and sell them for enough to justify the added expense of that quality.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
:spit :eek:nfloor

Seriously though, it's only a matter of time before they become a real player in the market. And since they don't follow the same copyright laws as the rest of the world seems to have agreed upon it may be faster then we realize.
if china won't stop building them, then the rest of the world needs to stand up and not allow the importation of these knock-offs into the western world.

There’s the obvious similarities between the frame/swing arm but if you Google image search pictures of 650r frames, and what is visible on the Chinese race bike is a dead nuts copy of what’s behind the covers on a 650r. I’m guessing the only difference may be that the quality of the tubing wouldn’t even meet the standards of electrical conduit. then look at the engine, the aesthetics of the castings are different, but otherwise from the outside it is also identical; the oil fill, window, crank access port, everything the same.

disgusting.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Enough about this Chinese bike racing in IMO TT, lets hear about the the American made motorcycle racing in the same class?

That will show them.....

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
By the way, please don't take my post as an attack on these imitators simply because they are Chinese. I would be saying this if any company did such things. But the reality is that we purchase tons of knock off bike parts. I can't even begin to tell you how many levers, tank pads, grips, rearsets and other parts I see on sportbikes which are chinese - not to mention fairings. The issue with those parts is that the companies producing them are simply taking advantage of economies of manufacture to make them cheaper - but in many cases not necessarily better. I am very much in favor of competition. However, this isn't competition, it is reverse engineering and copying another companies hard won, hard earned work. The IOM should be standing up for all of the bike companies that made that race great over the years.

Let the Chinese compete with their own products, not a blatant imitation (and likely a poor one) of another companies product.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Underestimate the Chinese at your peril. My titanium DanMoto exhaust pipes look and sound ripping mean, are solid, (and only weigh 2.5 lbs each) and only cost $300. Me being a retired guy I remember how expensive most consumer goods were 30 or 40 years ago (cos they were made in over-paid North America) and how cheap they are now buying with inflation filled bucks, all because they are made in China. We used to laugh at the 'made in Japan' label back in the early 1960s but no one is laughing now. We should all appreciate the Chinese cos without them our paychecks would not go very far!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts