Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had a problem with chicken strips other than when I started riding. My problem now is the front wheel has about a quarters thinkness strip and the back still has 1/4 inch. I never ran the front the whole way out like this. It this some thing I am doing wrong? By the way they are the same tire I always use same size ect. The back tire is a 160 so it takes a bit more to use it up. Any ideas? Oh the tire presure is ok also.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, a 160 is relatively small ... so, that may be why your front isn't getting used. My bike (03 600) is 120 front / 180 rear. I have about the width of a pencil on the sides of it.

My friends R1 has about the same on the front, but he has a tiny 1/4" chicken strip on the rear, so ... larger tires are easier to scrape the front in.

I don't think you're leaning over that much.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
513speed said:
Well, a 160 is relatively small ... so, that may be why your front isn't getting used. My bike (03 600) is 120 front / 180 rear. I have about the width of a pencil on the sides of it.

My friends R1 has about the same on the front, but he has a tiny 1/4" chicken strip on the rear, so ... larger tires are easier to scrape the front in.

I don't think you're leaning over that much.
No the front only has a little tine slip about the th=kness of a quarter. The back has the strip. None in the front. Thats what is odd to me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I run a 120 front and 180 rear. Same with my friend both of us on SRAD GSXR's. Rears are worn all the way down. Front is about 1/2 inch from being all the way worn down. But our friend has as F3, I believe with a 160 rear. Be never had his rear all the way worn down, every now and then there was a little scrubbing on the sides, but nothing major. He jumped on my bike, and was able to wear both sides with ease. He was saying that it was so much easier to get down lower in corners and said that the rear helps, because it is wider.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So since I have to lean over that much more with the 160 the front is running out of room?

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
If you want to get rid of the chicken strip, take it to a track. Trying to get rid of it on the street isn't the most intelligent thing in the world. If your hell bent on getting rid of them though, pick a nice gravel free corner that you feel comfortable on and keep going faster and faster. You'll wear them quicker if you don't lean off as much, but that is poor form. The key is to remember stuff like dragging knees and wearing tires to the edge is a function of being smooth. Going fast does not result from trying to go faster, only crashes happen that way. I wouldn't rush this sorta thing, just keep riding and it'll come when your ready for it.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
If your concerned about weird tire wear, try to experiment on your local friendly corner with different body positions too. Leaning off more or less and moving fore/aft all effects how the tires are used. "Kiss" the mirror, point/lead with your shoulder, keep elbows bent, and have about 1/2 your ass off the seat. You'll find you can go faster with less effort by doing that stuff.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i ran a 120/190 for a while. my front tire had about an 3/16ths chicken strip but the rear 190 had no chicken strips. Now i run a 120/180 front has the same 3/16th and still no chicken strips on the back, just lean a lil more.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I'm thinking it probably depends on riding style. People who like to power out of corners are more likely to get rid of the rear chicken strips. People with big chicken strips in the front are going into the turn slow.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
its normal for the front to have a slightly larger strip than the rear.

i've seen some race takeoff fronts that still have a 'chicken strip'. and you know those guys are using all they should on the tire.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to re word this. I don't care if I have chicken strips. But the problem is I run out of front tire before back. I always wear the back completley down no strip. But the front has a bit of a chicken strip still.

Now the problem I am running into is the back has a strip both sides.(I am not trying to get rid of it) But the front has no chicken strip. What would cause this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ive run my F3 at the track and have been leaned over so much I was dragging my ankles in the turns and I still had chicken strips on the front. Ive just given up on getting the front off. I cant lean the bike over anymore. I learned that the hard way.

<------After that I still had chicken strips on the front.

·
Registered
175 Posts
dennisred69 said:
I need to re word this. I don't care if I have chicken strips. But the problem is I run out of front tire before back. I always wear the back completley down no strip. But the front has a bit of a chicken strip still.

Now the problem I am running into is the back has a strip both sides.(I am not trying to get rid of it) But the front has no chicken strip. What would cause this?
Lower tire pressure in the front maybe?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Buddy you look like you need some rearsets :) Do you trail the brakes a lot? I do, and I usually have no front strips just from street riding. The rear doesn't generally come all the way off until I hit the track, unless I'm feeling frisky/stupid. Could be tire profile too. Do you run a 70 or 60?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've got maybe 1/8" to 1/4" un-touched in the rear and probably 1/2" to 3/4" in front. But I think it's just cause I'm old and skeered! :eek:nfloor

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nig said:
Buddy you look like you need some rearsets :) Do you trail the brakes a lot? I do, and I usually have no front strips just from street riding. The rear doesn't generally come all the way off until I hit the track, unless I'm feeling frisky/stupid. Could be tire profile too. Do you run a 70 or 60?
I'll have to check but I think they are 160/60/17.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
nig said:
I was about to say that. The way to get rid of front strips is to trail brake. I don't trail brake on the street unless it's an emergency situation. I get zero strips at the track but on the street I got about 1/2 inch on the rear tire. You can still see about 1/2 inch of boogers on my front and rear tires from my last track day. I guess I'm a chicken on the street. :banana

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Also forgot to mention that front tire profile has a big role on chicken strips. If you run a 120-70 then it's gonna be hard to get rid of them but if you run a 120-60 then you have less side tread and easier to get rid of them. If your bike came with 120-70 stock, don't switch to 120-60, your turn in is gonna get all screwed up and you have to mess with the fork height to compensate not to mention that you cannot lean as hard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts