Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on your new bike Dani .

Its gut wrenching standing there in the shop thinking what one to get and hopeing you make the right choice..,but no matter what, its a new bike and you will love .
I spent alot of time on the FZ forums and its good to see what people have done and the tricks and tips are already been figured out and you can just follow other peoples trial and error and mod away hassle free.
This is one thing I'm missing out with the new bike ,being able to chat on a GSX650F forum ,there is one but there is only 6 members:lao

Boldblood .
I have have 3 new Suzuki's and never had a problem ,besides a screw that held the speedo cable come loose on my GS500F and it was a 1 minutes fix..

The bike is not a "new" model so to speak ,its been around for a few years and just gets updates {or fairings} and its pretty much tried and tested.

Good luck with your choice.

:cheers Sled.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sleddog, thanks! As I was waiting for my bike to be prepped today I couldn't help thinking maybe I made a mistake. Anyway, like you said, any new bike will be better than a 20 year old design!
I rode it home today after saying my fare well to my Ninja. :cry
The FZ6 was much smoother...transmission, brakes and engine were great. It is like the Ninja in low rpm - tame and easy to ride. I can't wait until I break it in and can increase the rpm.
Dani

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I just went to a local dealership to check out the SV650SF and the GSX650F. I think I'm leaning more towards the SV. The GSXF is big. It's taller and just overall b***** than the SV. I will say that the GSXF looks really good but I don't think I want a bike that big/heavy. When I saw the SV in person I fell in love with it again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Compared to your GS500F most bikes will feel b*****, th SV is more the exception to the rule. I upgraded from an equivalent bike, Ninja 500, and everything I tried sitting on felt big at the dealership. After about 150miles of riding, the FZ6 which is a taller, more upright position feels at least if not more flickable than the Ninja. It could be the more sophisticated aluminum frame. BTW, if you are considering the SV I have a comparison from last year of the SV650S vs Ninja 650 vs. FZ6 in motorcycle consumer news. It is very thorough. The FZ6 beats the other two hands down. The only area where the SV was slightly better was midrange and low end torque. Coming from a Ninja 500 (which is stronger the the GS500) the low end and mid range is stronger than the Ninja. My point is that go with what you like and pretty much anything will be an upgrade from your current bike. If you go with the SV I am sure you won't be disappointed. The SV does have a more aggressive riding position.
Dani

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Thanks for the input, got a link for that Motorcycle Consumer comparison?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anythonyd5189 I PM'd you. Don't have a link, but can email you the article.

I crahsed my bike today into a car that pulled out infront of me. It was obviously the little old lady's fault. I think my brand new FZ6 with 150miles is totaled. I am back to looking for a new bike. Any more comments from people who have the GSX650F now that you've had it for a few more weeks? Hopefully, I'll know in a few days how m uch I'll be getting for the bike.
Dani

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I just had the appraiser go look at it this morning. I am not sure if it will be totaled or not. I'll probably know in two days. At this point I kind of hope that it is totaled so I can get a new one. Seeing my bike today, I can't imagine that it would ever be as good as new...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own the GSX650F

Boldblood,
Let me know when you get the new bike, I am curious to see how it compares to your Ninja since I have a Ninja too and am trying to decide between the Suzuki and upgrading to an FZ6.
Dani
I sold my cruiser and decided to back to my roots. Really wanted the 1250 Bandit until I checked into insurance and until I saw the GSX650. Wasn't sure that the 650 was big enough because I'm a pretty big guy. Anyway, it fits me like a glove and the fun factor for me is off of the charts. Easy to ride fast, easy on the pocketbook, and looks are great. I wanted more upright handlebars and some sort of wind protection and got both on this bike. No, it's not a GSX-R, but then again that is not my riding style. The 650F is easy to ride in town and quite nice on the highway. The engine? I love it. The transmission is smooth and rear suspension works well enough. The front forks will need a little work. In pressing the bike harder on a bad road I felt as if could feel a little more confident. Planning on changing the fork oil to a 10W soon. Center stand I added myself. Dealer sold it for $138.00.
Anyway, if your style of riding is a little hwy, little around town and your not hitting the track (which I have never done) then at least give this bike some consideration. FYI. I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
650F forum?

Congrats on your new bike Dani .

Its gut wrenching standing there in the shop thinking what one to get and hopeing you make the right choice..,but no matter what, its a new bike and you will love .
I spent alot of time on the FZ forums and its good to see what people have done and the tricks and tips are already been figured out and you can just follow other peoples trial and error and mod away hassle free.
This is one thing I'm missing out with the new bike ,being able to chat on a GSX650F forum ,there is one but there is only 6 members:lao

Boldblood .
I have have 3 new Suzuki's and never had a problem ,besides a screw that held the speedo cable come loose on my GS500F and it was a 1 minutes fix..

The bike is not a "new" model so to speak ,its been around for a few years and just gets updates {or fairings} and its pretty much tried and tested.

Good luck with your choice.

:cheers Sled.
Sleddog,
Do you have the URL for the GSX650 Forum?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ive just bought the GSX650F and cant really say anything bad about it. If i was being picky maybe the mirrors, not sure if its just me but i seem to block the mirrors with my arms. However they can be changed for a small price, the ride and comfort is spot on as is the handling. As im still wearing the engine in cant above 6k for 500 miles then 9k for 1000, but already on 300 miles in 2 days lol. Gearbox is smooth same is the engine seems to have some grunt low to mid range, and also pulls in any gear. I would ask around for a test ride you may be surprised! with what suzuki have put together. Will post again after the 1k miles mark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a GSX650F on April 5th. Several things have impressed me. The engine is extremely smooth at any RPM ie almost undetectable buzz. Good fuel injection response aside from abrupt rpm drop with throttle closing. Tremendous torque band. I can accelerate smoothly in 6th from 1500 rpm. At 60 mph, (about 5000 rpm), throttle response is good in 6th gear. Good wind protection. I'm 6'2" but sit tall. Wind off the windshield hits me just at the neck. No buffeting. Good mirrors. The bike's weight is not very noticeable with a low CG. Not as good at sudden transitions as my old 500 Ninja but I view this bike as a sport tourer. It is not built for high speed riding through tight turns.
No centerstand but available for $120.00. Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase...$120 seems like an excellent price for the centerstand - is it the OEM? I am glad you are giving comparisons to the Ninja 500. I had a Ninja 500 which I traded in for an FZ6 two weeks ago, so I know that bike well. It was very "flickable". Most of the 4cyl bikes will be smoother, but the GSX650F has especially gotten good reviews for that.
Dani

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just changed the oil.

Hello from Michigan.
Changed the oil at 350 miles. Nothing special or new to me except taking off a side panel. Never had a bike with one. Put on another 300 miles this weekend. Took it up to triple digits today...very nice. Just wish it would warm up a little.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Center Stand

Dani,
Here is the link for the center stand (OEM):
CENTER STAND KIT GSX650F 2008 :: Suzuki GSX650F :: Street & SuperSport :: Oneida Suzuki Inc
You be amazed at how smooth the engine is compared to the 500. Also, no more cold starting drama since it has fuel injection.
Just getting into the 60's here in Maryland. I'll start working off the break in miles.
Dani,
Your don't have to take the pipe off as the directions tell you. I simply put the bolt through the opposite way from what the directions say. The trickiest part is popping the spring on. I connected the spring to center stand first and then used a craftsman screwdriver to slip the hanger over the hook.
Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wats up guys.. (im going to go ahead and say sorry for spelling and grammer so i dont wanna hear it)
I just bought an 08 GSX650F and so far i love it. ive had it for about a week and i really have not found much negative to say about it. Its a heavy bike but im still new to street bikes so it makes me feel better to have a little more solid weight under me. Im still breaking it in so i have not been over 90mph on it but it will get there fairly quickly.
I had wanted an SV600 the dealer did not have any, when i asked about this bike it didnt take long for me to fall in love with it, especially when you sit on the bike. The first thing i said was damm this bike feels good under me.
The bike is strong enough to keep me happy but also keep me from killing myself. Acceleration is very pleasing and it surprised me on how smooth you can access its speed. Customizing ricers and other cars is very popular around here and unfortunatly most are young idiot drivers. The next day after i got it someone was really messing with me and the bikes quick speed alowed me to easily pull away from him without having to go back down through the gears and keep him from bothering(or endangering me).
I had planned to only use the bike casually but i really can not stay off it.
I want to write a full review for those of you interested in this bike but i havent really broke it in enough to give an honest opinion. From what i have found from PRO reviews is mostly all positive other than the weight of the bike. I will write an UNbias review in about a week but id be happy to answer any questions if someone is interested about something on it.
Anyways i was real happy to find a good forum site...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts