Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:hitit Everything I like in a women, times two!
Except they rode into town ninety years too soon... :twofinger

These sisters' 1916 cross-country ride proved to the U.S. military that women were fit to serve as dispatch riders. The Van Burens were the first women to make the transcontinental journey on two solo motorcycles.
Adeline and Agusta VanBuren

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
super cool find! neat story, thanks!! :dblthumb

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Augusta and Adeline Van Buren broke the stereotypes of their time proving that woman could do anything a man could do. In the words of Augusta, “Woman can if she will.”

Or this Lady, Theresa Wallach

In 1935, Theresa Wallach and her friend, Florence Blenkiron, or "Blenk," as Wallach called her, embarked on one of the most ambitious motorcycle journeys of the era. Riding a 600cc single-cylinder Panther complete with sidecar and trailer, the two rode from London to Cape Town, South Africa. No roads, no back up, just straight across the Sahara through equatorial Africa, and South to the Cape - in 1935, without even a compass! It was quite simply one of the most radical motorcycle journeys ever.

Or this Lady, Debbie Evans
First woman to compete in FIM World Championship Trials event. Top rider in Women’s World Cup Trials competition. Motorcycle stunt rider in over 200 movies and television programs.

And this Lady, Bessie Stringfield
In the 1940s, "The Motorcycle Queen of Miami" broke down barriers for women and African American motorcyclists at the same time, completing eight solo cross-country tours and serving as a U.S. Army motorcycle dispatch rider.

-from the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum

You ladies can Ride!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Cool post.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I believe it was Debbie Evans that was riding the Duc in the Matrix.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Awesome!!! Great story and pics too, thanks!!

BTW I was doning full leathers on my ride this morning!! :twofinger :) I didn't trust the wet roads after we have been having some rain out here and also the dirt and sand so if I was to go down...I was ready!!

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
RSixxygrl said:
Awesome!!! Great story and pics too, thanks!!

BTW I was doning full leathers on my ride this morning!! :twofinger :) I didn't trust the wet roads after we have been having some rain out here and also the dirt and sand so if I was to go down...I was ready!!

You should be ready to go down anytime.

And I'm talking about the bike..........you with your dirty mind. :twofinger :D

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Damn Alaska cajun...you got me...you really did!!!! hee heee it's no fun to have a clean mind!! :lol And I am always ready to go down........ :)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Give ya something to think about before you go to bed.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Very cool stories. Looks like all you ladies have female riders to look up to!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would love to post up pics of my grandmother in her riding gear, but the pictures are glued into an album that crumbles when we open it. She rode an Indian Princess back in the 40's (if my elder relatives remember correctly) Her father, my great-grandfather, owned an Indian shop in Strousburgh, PA back in the 30's and 40's. She wanted me to take her old for a ride on her next visit, even though she was in her late 70's. Unfortunatley she passed away a while back and I wasn't able to take her. She is one of the big reasons I have my Harley, and will eventually have an Indian. That is a family tradition, I am sad to say, that I alone am carrying on. She was the only person who didn't criticize me for getting a motorcycle. These pictures made me think of her, thanks for posting them.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Anybody that rode way back then was hard core. Think about it.
Paved roads were extremely rare, even in the 1940s.
For a women to even drive a car back then was unusual.
For a women to ride a motorcycle, or fly a plane bordered on the scandalous! :twofinger

Ladies, even now don't you get looks of disbief sometimes when people outside motorcycling find out you ride?

My sister used to have the guys at the bike shop falling all over themselves and pushing the male customers
out of their way to give her any assistance, whether she needed it or not. :lol

Hell, I'd let her take my bike in for service. Turn around time would be half that if I'd take it in myself!

Women riders Rock! :headbang

Edit - fbiguy, anyway you could scan those pics while still in the album? That would be a great tribute.

Anybody else got any old family pics of your rebelous forebearers? This could be fun.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
jk--thanks!!! Shoot I get looks of disbelief when I am wrenching on my bikes out in the driveway and guys drive by!!! They can't believe a girl is working on her own bike!!! :lol Then they turn around and drive by again and sometimes a 3rd time I truely get a kick out of it!! :lol

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
fbiguy said:
I would love to post up pics of my grandmother in her riding gear, but the pictures are glued into an album that crumbles when we open it. She rode an Indian Princess back in the 40's (if my elder relatives remember correctly) Her father, my great-grandfather, owned an Indian shop in Strousburgh, PA back in the 30's and 40's. She wanted me to take her old for a ride on her next visit, even though she was in her late 70's. Unfortunatley she passed away a while back and I wasn't able to take her. She is one of the big reasons I have my Harley, and will eventually have an Indian. That is a family tradition, I am sad to say, that I alone am carrying on. She was the only person who didn't criticize me for getting a motorcycle. These pictures made me think of her, thanks for posting them.

I would love to see those!! My Grandmother used to ride on the backs of motorcycles when she was younger (I wish I had some of those pics) ..hmmm...must be where I got my rebel attitude from :twofinger

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RSixxygrl said:
jk--thanks!!! Shoot I get looks of disbelief when I am wrenching on my bikes out in the driveway and guys drive by!!! They can't believe a girl is working on her own bike!!! :lol Then they turn around and drive by again and sometimes a 3rd time I truely get a kick out of it!! :lol
I bet they do, RSixxygrl! Are you sure it's the bike? I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
You'd probably get the same reaction if you were just washing your car in your driveway! :lol
Or breathing in your driveway! :drool :grinbounc

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
jk750 said:
I bet they do, RSixxygrl! Are you sure it's the bike? I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
You'd probably get the same reaction if you were just washing your car in your driveway! :lol
Or breathing in your driveway! :drool :grinbounc
Thanks jk (blushing) but when I am working out on the bike..I am not dressed up in heels and a short skirt LOL I have shorts on, sneakers, sport bra top, hair up and grease, oil or whatever on my arms, hands. legs :lol Of course sweating in the Florida heat!! I get pretty dirty out there...

But I do clean up nicely if I may say so!!!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RSixxygrl said:
Thanks jk (blushing) but when I am working out on the bike..I am not dressed up in heels and a short skirt LOL I have shorts on, sneakers, sport bra top, hair up and grease, oil or whatever on my arms, hands. legs :lol Of course sweating in the Florida heat!! I get pretty dirty out there...

But I do clean up nicely if I may say so!!!! :cool:
:eek:
Ya know.........................I'm tryin' to work here.... That's just not fair! Stop!... don't!.... stop!... don't stop!...

:dblthumb

1 - 20 of 25 Posts