Sport Bikes banner

Cheap stock windshield mod

5K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  Gand 
#1 ·
My wife was going nuts trying to get a towel to the underside of the stock windshield. I'm waiting on Zero Gravity to come out with their shield for the FZ6...not holding breath though.

In the meantime I decided to do what I've done with a bunch of my snowmobile windshields in the past: I painted it from the inside with satin black paint. This leaves a nice satin finish on the inside and, because the outside isn't painted, it looks glossy due to the windshield's finish.

The hardest part was masking it off evenly. I am not a body man, nor do I play one on TV, lol. I had my 12 year old daughter help me mask it off and then shot it with 2 coats of satin black from the inside.

It looks pretty good and makes it appear to match the cowling. And no damn water spots!

Best of all, SHE likes it.

See less See more
#4 ·
exciter99 said:
Wonder if color matched blue would would look good painted in the same fashion.. Has anyone tried it?
Actually several people have done it already .... some have gone to the extent of making designs in the windscreen. You'd find it if you searched for it .... just not sure what to search for.

#8 ·
orFZ6rider said:
How do some of you clean the back side of you windshield without painting it? I get sick of the ugly water spots in the area hard to reach.
Thanks
Honestly .... I just got use to seeing them. That's really the only thing I don't like about this bike, not that taking the shield off is hard .... just a pain that you have to do it to clean under it.
That and they gave you a nice hinge on the tank with no prop rod to hold it up :rolleyes

#9 ·
Off topic

OT

exciter99 Your avatar ... that's just, so wrong.

#10 ·
On topic ...

The only part of the FZ6's styling I don't like is the windscreen. I've been trying to think of something to do to it. This looks great! I was thinking about painting the back of the screen also, but I wasn't sure that there was a paint I could put on it w/o primer. I'm thinking a lighter color that matched the scheme, like a silver or a yellow would also ook good on the back of the screen.

How hard would it be to shoot the upper part of the windscreen a transparent color?

Good mod, MrVvrroomm

#11 ·
previous suggestion found on this board...cant remember the author...

water and compressed air work like magic.

#13 ·
I painted the entire back of the windscreen black using Black Caliper Paint. I think it looks good. The caliper paint looks good, drys quickly, and can with stand water, high temps, and will not fade or peel.

#14 ·
orFZ6rider said:
How do some of you clean the back side of you windshield without painting it? I get sick of the ugly water spots in the area hard to reach.

Thanks
I use the Mr. Clean car wash deal. I use it mainly for the filtered rinse. no water spots anywhere (I use it on my BLACK truck too and haven't had a water spot since).

#18 ·

Attachments

#19 ·
Oh, I want it. Too bad I'm already 100% over budget. The arch line is better, but straight doesn't look too bad either.

I like some of the metal flake spray kits. If you got the three part ones, you could put the flake on first, then the black, and use the clear coat to seal. We did my husband's goalie helmet, and it's held up pretty well, other than the fact that the paint's not hard enough to stand up to pucks and skate blades.

#20 ·
fz6java said:
I want a mirrored or shiny windscreen. Anyone know where to get one?
Robb
Ron Ayers has OEM windscreens for about $35. I think I might pick up some blue and mirrored tint and try it out on mine.
Either that, or Puig has a blue wind screen that I may try to tint with the silver mirror.

#26 ·
fraggle1 said:
Dayum, ukdej79, that's a good looking shield!

Didn't someone say that painting the screen (all of it) made the instruments a bit easier to see during the day?

Don't know about anyone else but it's made it easier for me to see.

By the way, thanks for the comments guys. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.