Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another cheap pair of mods for the "Magic Carpet". This time to stay relatively clean while riding through rain soaked roads. In the past, coming out of the rain had me spending too much time cleaning the rain soaked bike - the hardest part is cleaning the rear wheel well (awkward cuz underneath, hot muffler, hard too reach, etc).

I presume our trusted moderater will relocate this thread to the mods section in time.

The mud flaps are rather generic. Any flap would do. In my case the front flap is by Kawasaki (appropriately small), and the rear is from Suzuki (necessarily larger).

Components:
- Highway pegs with thru-bolt assembly,
- Three nut and lock washer set per mud flap.
- Locktight.
- Drill, masking tape for fitting, etc.

Installation:
- Used masking tape and ruler to mark out center locations and drill spots.
- The nut/bolt is deliberately upside-down on rear fender. This is so I can occasionally check on the nut integrity from atop. It could be catastrophic if the mud flap was to have its nuts vibrate loose and allow the flap to get jambed against spinning tire. For this reason locktight and lock washers are adviseable and a stiffer mud flap.
- Drill holes and attach nut/bolt set.

Cost:
- Cost of components $10.00 x 2.
- Shopping time = 1:00 hr
- Installation time = 1:30 hr
- Thinking about it time = (too embarassed to report)

Testing:
- In the second group of photos I tested the effect of the flaps by riding through a stream of water. This was also video recorded as I drove by. It was amazing how much water the rear tire throughs up. In contrast, the front tire picks up very little water.
- As seen, the rear wheel wheel is entirely dry, except for the licence-plate portion of the stock upper fender. Water would then drip down upon the top side of the modded mud flap.
- The front mud flap kept the front of the engine and header almost entirely dry.

Result:
- It works very well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
skeleton said:
I presume our trusted moderater will relocate this thread to the mods section in time.
You really just want the redirect links don't ya?!! Please post in the appropriate sub-forums.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
why doesnt everyone just post mods in the mod sub-forum. i know it is kind of like a neglected red-headed step child, but its not hard, just one extra click.

i'm kind of incrminating myself, i just get all excited when i can post a mod, i dont even think where im putting it. i post it whereever anyone will listen, haha.
we should just have one big forum, thats all anyone uses.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
segue00 said:
boy, J, you are testy today. :)
nah, just when someone repeately and purposely posts in the wrong sub-forum, I am just going to remind them to post in the correct sub. If you guy's want to see the mod sub-forum go away, then petition to Fred. Until then, I am going to moderate what has been given to us.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
i dont care either way really, i dont think it bothers most people if there are mods in the main forum, its just easier if you are looking for something. but if you are looking for something you generally do a search and both will be searched.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On some other forums I attend, the larger forums are better with categories while the smaller forums are simplier without categories.

Maybe SBN/FZ6 is getting big enough to warrant these new categories - but just a few.

Just to keep jcaesar calm (and the system is now working), I will post directly into the Mods category from now on. ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts