Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alas, I finally installed highway pegs on my "Magic Carpet".

This follows from previous discussion on the topic in thread:
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=283058&highlight=highway+pegs

I thought this might deserve a new thread as the product has gone from concept to installation. I presume our trusted moderater will relocate this thread to the mods section in time.

The highway pegs I bought are cheap pegs, made by Tesco Trading Company, bought from a Suzuki dealership in town. They cost $20 CAD for the pair. While being of cheap quality, I think they will be adequate as I don't intend to use them often.

Components:
- Highway pegs with thru-bolt assembly, nut, lock washer.
- Additional spacer tube to create offset from engine tab.
- Small tab to relocate existing hose clamp found on right engine frame.

Installation:
- Had to create a tube spacer for the long bolt.
- Had to create metal tab to allow relocation of hose clamp.
- Left side peg attaches immediately to available engine tab.
- Right side peg attaches to engine tab after relocation of hose clamp.

Cost:
- Cost of components $20.00
- Shopping time = 1:00 hr
- Installation time = 1:30 hr
- Thinking about it time = (too embarassed to report)

- The final location of my installation is not ideal. As located, the peg supports the heal of my boot (the ball of the foot is preferred).
- I might consider fabricating a frame bracket as discussed in previous thread so as to place peg in a forward and raised position.

Result:
- It works.
- Leg is outstretched with a slight bend in knees. Body position is comfortable.
- This is ideal for occasional leg stretches while cruising the highways.
- The pegs fold up, and probably would fold automatically when severely leaned over or low-slided. However, in the event they might not, I would ride with pegs folded away when riding the twisties or on the track.
- The cantilevered bolt is so very long that if one was to stand on the pegs, it would probably bend. Not to worry though, peg is too far forward to be able to put much force on.

Attachments

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
No problems with the rubber on those being so close to the engine heat when folded up?

Looks good. I'm not a highway peg kinda guy, but if I were, I think you've come up with the best solution I've seen for those that want 'em! :dblthumb

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Looks great :dblthumb

Highway pegs would come in handy on long rides, one of these days I'll put them on.
Can you post some info as to the part numbers/brands you got.?.?

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
skeleton said:
I presume our trusted moderater will relocate this thread to the mods section in time.
You betcha!, but atleast you get that kewl redirect link in the main FZ6 forum. ;)

Anyway, good write up. Maybe a picture of you sitting on the bike with your feet propped up on the highway pegs, so that we may all get a sense of the body position.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Mods subforum that nobody looks at or wants to post in. :p

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Binary Jay said:
Mods subforum that nobody looks at or wants to post in. :p
Yaa .. that's why I shamelessly threw it into the main forum.

I was hoping Jcaesar would take the day off and leave the thread in the main one for a day or two. Oh well, he is too fast for me (must be riding a silver bike).

:cheers

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
greatzippy said:
Looks great :dblthumb

Highway pegs would come in handy on long rides, one of these days I'll put them on.
Can you post some info as to the part numbers/brands you got.?.?
This is a cheapie noname peg by Tesco Trading Company. Named "Folding Peg Universal". In the picture you see a couple of C-brackets laced through the bolt - you can through them out. Oh wait, actually I used on of those C-brackets as the hose-clamp extension piece (just flatten it out, cuz it sort of in half, drill another hole thru it, and fit it onto the engine tab and existing hose clamp) - obvious once you actually do the project.

In fact any such thru-bolt type of peg will work. The other type is the U-clamp type, and that won't work cuz it is intended to clamp onto engine guards.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
skeleton said:
I was hoping Jcaesar would take the day off and leave the thread in the main one for a day or two. Oh well, he is too fast for me (must be riding a silver bike).

:cheers
You actually caught me on a day where I didn't have much work to take home with me tonight. Or maybe it is because I am riding the faster blue fz6.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crx81 said:
No problems with the rubber on those being so close to the engine heat when folded up?

Looks good. I'm not a highway peg kinda guy, but if I were, I think you've come up with the best solution I've seen for those that want 'em! :dblthumb
Heat? Oh ya - well, we'll see.

Frankly I don't expect to have a problem. After all, look at the radiator hoses - their very hot but ok. Hopefully the rubber shoe will be just as tough. If not I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
skeleton said:
- Thinking about it time = (too embarassed to report)
i'm with you on that one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts