Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I are thinking of getting some chatterboxes so we can talk while we ride. Let me know what you guys have and how well they work. We both have HJC-CL14 helmets.

Thanks

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
I did quite a bit of research on this a while ago. I ended up starting to piece together a system with parts you could buy (like radios and headsets and whatnot) but wasn't all in one box.

I ended up getting some Motorola radios, and then will eventually buy these:
http://www.csonline.net/crawford/Helmet_Headsets/Default.htm

The thread that was on the old board is probably LONG gone, but this option seemed to get the most favorable review. One guy had tried the Collett communicators, the Chatterboxes, and ended up using this option of the Motorola radios and Motocomm headsets all the time instead of the previous options.

Plus, if you do it this way, you just take the radios with you where ever you're going and they come in handy instead of having to leave your radios hooked to your helmet.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I tried the motocomm headsets with Cobra GMRS radios, and wasn't impressed. Couldn't hear other riders, even at neighborhood speeds. Couldn't easily use the set with a passenger and couldn't hook up music without another adapter.

I now have a Chatterbox FRS X1 - love it! Can hear other riders OK up to highway speeds, can hear my passengers on intercom even better than I can hear other riders. The intercom feature is great if you ride 2-up often.

I also often hook up a radio or MP3 player to the chatterbox - can hear music loud and clear well above legal speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
gpTT said:
I tried the motocomm headsets with Cobra GMRS radios, and wasn't impressed. Couldn't hear other riders, even at neighborhood speeds. Couldn't easily use the set with a passenger and couldn't hook up music without another adapter.
Which Cobra radios did you have? I've got the 3175 and the sound is excellent so far. I believe that how one's helmet fits has a lot to do with the ability of a given speaker installation to perform well. Or was it just reception problems? (My Cobra radios' model number are FR3175 and I have a close fitting Shoei RF700 helmet).

Spencer

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used the Cobra microTALK PR 950 DX. Love the radios, they work well for fishing, hunting, etc., but I simply couldn't hear other riders well enought to communicate - even around town - when I attached the MotoComm headsets. I used model MC-551. My helmet is a snug-fitting Arai Signet GT.

If anyone wants the headsets (I have two), I'd be happy to sell them. Even have the original packaging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
me and some buddies have the chatterboxes and they work pretty good when you use the push to talk. and the radio/mp3 option works real good too.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
gpTT said:
I used the Cobra microTALK PR 950 DX. Love the radios, they work well for fishing, hunting, etc., but I simply couldn't hear other riders well enought to communicate - even around town - when I attached the MotoComm headsets. I used model MC-551. My helmet is a snug-fitting Arai Signet GT.

If anyone wants the headsets (I have two), I'd be happy to sell them. Even have the original packaging.

How much do you want for them?? I'll shoot you a PM too.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Yah, I got it...sorry, it looks like the one's that fit your radios won't fit the radios that I have...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts